smell of gas

Old October 16th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
rustyrootdown

Default smell of gas

I have a 91 civic dx hatchback 5-speed manual, after running the car for a
while I can frequently smell gas when exiting the vehicle. There does not
appear to be a leak as I have never noticed any fresh liquid deposits
under the car. Can anyone direct me to potential causes/troubleshooting
steps for this issue? Thanks

Old October 16th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

rustyrootdown wrote:

> I have a 91 civic dx hatchback 5-speed manual, after running the car for a
> while I can frequently smell gas when exiting the vehicle. There does not
> appear to be a leak as I have never noticed any fresh liquid deposits
> under the car. Can anyone direct me to potential causes/troubleshooting
> steps for this issue? Thanks

I had this issue with my '93 Accord before I traded it in last week. The
smell was there but there were no liquid leaks. The mechanic replaced a
small piece of the fuel line that was rusted out.

Another possibility is a rusted filler neck. I know that 3rd-gen Accords
were prone to this; not sure about 4th-gen Civics like yours.
Old October 17th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ClubPlug.net - Your Source for NGK & DENSO Spark Plugs!

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> rustyrootdown wrote:
>
> > I have a 91 civic dx hatchback 5-speed manual, after running the car for a
> > while I can frequently smell gas when exiting the vehicle. There does not
> > appear to be a leak as I have never noticed any fresh liquid deposits
> > under the car. Can anyone direct me to potential causes/troubleshooting
> > steps for this issue? Thanks

> I had this issue with my '93 Accord before I traded it in last week. The
> smell was there but there were no liquid leaks. The mechanic replaced a
> small piece of the fuel line that was rusted out.
>
> Another possibility is a rusted filler neck. I know that 3rd-gen Accords
> were prone to this; not sure about 4th-gen Civics like yours.

I also have a 1993 Civic and I am getting the fuel line repaired
sometimes this week. It got so bad that the fuel is actually
"dripping".
:-(

However, it started like your problem, no leak but fuel smell. My
advice don't wait like I did, eventually it will start leaking.

Thanks
Frank

www.NGKPartFinder.com
The original and true NGK Part Finder

Burning smell Captain Coleman Ford Explorer 4 September 28th 06 03:39 AM
Smell Fuel on E39 ChrisJ BMW 3 July 21st 06 12:29 PM
Problem with clutch - bad smell.....Any ideas? [email protected] Technology 13 March 12th 06 11:28 PM
1992 730 - Smell of petrol SteveG BMW 16 August 4th 05 05:38 AM
Burning Smell Near Rear Tires? [email protected] Technology 3 July 4th 05 04:29 AM