window works sporadically

Old September 8th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default window works sporadically

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 11:24:07 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 02:10:10 -0400, micky >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 13:40:36 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
>>wrote:

>>I meant to say driver's window.

>>>In my experience I've never had a motor itself go bad but I've had
>>>plenty of the gears turn to dust (you'll still hear the motor spinning
>>>or clunking but the window doesn't move)

>>When it works it works fine.
>>
>><or the window switches go
>>>bad.

>>Yeah, that's why he first bought a new set of switches (4 windows
>>switches, door locks, and some other button, in one unit) He was pretty
>>disapointed when he put them in and it still didnt' work. Then he
>>noticed he'd put in the original swtiches. So he got the ones from Ebay
>>and put them in and it still didn't work. At least they were only $32
>>
>>> Was it one of the windows that has two switches, like the front
>>>passenger window or a rear window.

>>No. Driver's window.
>>
>>> On some cars if either of the two
>>>switches is bad neither of the switches will work (the electricity
>>>goes thru both of them when you use either of them)

>>Yeah, when I take the right door panel off, I have to plug the window
>>switch in at least or even the driver's switches don't work.
>>

>>So, do you think it can take 14 days for the thermal breaker to reset
>>itself?

>I wouldn't think it would take more then an hour tops.
>
>Just as a point of info, the main drivers door switch in my 92
>explorer was having problems not powering one of the windows. So I
>bought a new switch that was labeled as made by AC Delco from Amazon.
>Of the four switches on it (one for each window), one of them would
>not work at all and another one had to be pressed REALLY hard to make
>it work. I sent it back and ordered from a different vendor. This
>second new switch was barely any better, there is one switch that I
>have to press pretty hard to get it to power the window. So just

Wow. That's pretty bad. What a story.

>because your friend bought new switches is no guarantee they work.

He bought his from Ebay, which compared to your story might be a better
source because maybe they are OEM from real junk cars;

Anyhow, it did eventually start working with the replacement switch. By
this time he didn't have the vim to put the original switch back in just
to check it. I hope he saved the original switch. We tried looking
at wires, but there were 7 of them. Anyhow I can see a wire that goes
from the door to the car breaking, but not one from the armrest to the
motor. It barely flexes at all.

So that leaves the motor and its thermal thing, and he said he would
just not tax the motor too much. I don't think he's priced an Ebay
motor yet. ;-)