GTR and new video card

Old July 27th 05, 01:16 PM
John Smith

Default GTR and new video card

How well will GTR run with a 128mb 256 bit Radeon 9800 pro? I also have an
AMD 2100 xp and 1.25 gig of ram, and a ti4600.

Old July 27th 05, 02:00 PM
Dave Henrie

"John Smith" > wrote in
:

> How well will GTR run with a 128mb 256 bit Radeon 9800 pro? I also
> have an AMD 2100 xp and 1.25 gig of ram, and a ti4600.

It will run, but I think you won't see any 'huge' increases.
GTR puts a load on your system. Heck, I have an ATI 800 with 256mb of vid
mem with a low-end AMD 64bit cpu and it's still pretty herky-jerky.(only
512mb of system ram is my biggest weakness right now)

dh
Old July 27th 05, 03:43 PM

I think GTR is more power hungry when it comes to RAM and CPU than
video. The 9800 pro will be fine (Heck, I run GTR ok with an ATI
9600). Your memory is fine. The AMD XP2100 will probably be your
"weak link", but if you keep the # of oponents at a reasonable level, I
think GTR will run with decent FPS in that setup.

Old July 27th 05, 08:18 PM
Joseph Mendel

I started out with a P4 3.0 w/ 512 Mb Ram, Nvidia GeForce 5950 ultra w/ 256
Mb Ram. Two weeks ago I added 2GB of additional Ram and the game has
changed dramatically.

I am running full fields at top resolutions, with all the bells and whistles
minus the steering wheel, and there is only herky jerkiness during some
replays. The racing is at 23 fps to close to 50 fps and sometimes even
higher. For me TONS-o-RAM was the cure and it only cost me $209.99 to get
the game where I wanted it to be.

Old July 27th 05, 09:31 PM
John Smith

Thanks, I figured it wouldn't be much of a gain, but I need to upgrade the
video card on the kids computer anyway. (My way of justifying an upgrade to
my box)

Old July 27th 05, 10:09 PM
Darus

Isn't that how we all do it? ;-)

Old July 28th 05, 01:11 PM

Dave - what Catalyst version are you running?
I just got an X800XL to upgrade my 9700 pro, and there is something
about ISI sims and this card/driver combo. It is noticably slower,
despite the 3dconfig bench being nearly twice as fast.
I thought I was OK w5.6s on my 9700, but thinking about it I may have
been running an earlier version last time I ran GTR/F1C - LFS S2,
GTA:SA, and FarCry have been monopolizing my time .
I'm trying to find out how far I have to roll back. I've already tried
FastWritesOn, AGP apeture at 256mb. Something is definitely not right,
even the car spinner in the F1C menu is visibly slower. All other
games are running great.

Kendt

Old July 28th 05, 01:59 PM
Dave Henrie

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Dave - what Catalyst version are you running?
> I just got an X800XL to upgrade my 9700 pro, and there is something
> about ISI sims and this card/driver combo. It is noticably slower,
> despite the 3dconfig bench being nearly twice as fast.
> I thought I was OK w5.6s on my 9700, but thinking about it I may have
> been running an earlier version last time I ran GTR/F1C - LFS S2,
> GTA:SA, and FarCry have been monopolizing my time .
> I'm trying to find out how far I have to roll back. I've already tried
> FastWritesOn, AGP apeture at 256mb. Something is definitely not right,
> even the car spinner in the F1C menu is visibly slower. All other
> games are running great.
>
> Kendt

5.7's. Somebody posted here about the big gains blah blah blah and I
jumped at them. With overclocking I can get my 800pro to show a triangle
rate of over 100 million tri's in the F1c config. I would imagine the GTR
figure to be pretty close. But on track, I'm pretty sure because of my
limited memory,(512mb w/XP Pro) the sim pauses everywhere. Anytime a new
image pops up..hiccup...and some, usually early in a session, can last for
several seconds. I just try and freeze the postion of my hands and feet
and wait. When I try a 24hr track, I have to let the AI drive the first
lap after any time change. The fps drops to single digits. Again, pretty
good fast DDR 3200/400 memory running on a FSB of 200mhz but only 512mb.
So I can't really RELIABLY compare framerates between drivers. F1c
seems fine. I can get over 100fps in practice conditions or where traffic
is minimal(away from the pits) but probably an average would be closer to
70ish.
Two things I 'should' do, but probably can't afford to do for some time,
is get a couple of 1mb DDR Ram sticks. and do the Pro to XL hack for my
vid card. Again...removing heatsinks has never been wise when "I'm" the
responsible for getting them properly placed back on again.

dave henrie
Old July 28th 05, 02:12 PM

I don't think its your memory - I had 512mb for a while and never had
really bad problems.
I saw a post on RSC that looked like the exact same problem - it was in
some Nordic language though . Based on the technical terms, numbers,
and smileys I think I decoded it to mean the user was seeing what I'm
seeing, but hasn't resolved it.
The big gains I think were just more hype, and almost non-existent if
you had a 256mb X800 card.
I really want to keep this card, but seeing as rFactor and GTLegends
were one of the reasons I wanted it, if it doesn't play nice with ISI
sims it is going back.
I'm going to roll back to Omega 5.4s or 5.1s tonight and I'll report
back.

Kendt

Old July 28th 05, 02:22 PM

Also - what are your res/AA/AF settings for F1c? I'd like to make sure
I can at least get close to what you're seeing.
I have 1gb RAM, - not apples-apples comparison, but I
should be in the same ballpark as your system.

Thanks!
Kendt