Body Trim Keeps Falling Off

Old July 28th 05, 04:34 PM
Warren Abrey

Default Body Trim Keeps Falling Off

Hi.

I have one piece of the rubber trim that keeps falling off my 96 jetta,
every few weeks I buy more trim tape, clean both surfaces with rubbing
alcohol and put it back on... What am I doing wrong??

Old July 28th 05, 05:14 PM
Frank

This happened on a 1995 Golf GTI. I bought european moulding that snaps
onto holes in the body panels (instead of sticking on) from
parts4vws.com, if that works for you.

Old July 29th 05, 12:31 AM
Papa

Go to a parts store such as NAPA and ask them for a quality cement. I've
used it (comes in a tube) on my Buick, and the trim has stayed in place for
over 3 years, even after running the car through a car wash numerous times.
Make sure you get the right kind. It is called 3M Superweatherstrip
Adhesive.

Old July 29th 05, 01:01 AM
John

You need to buy the VHB tape from 3m, the stuff at the store won't
last. I redid all the trim on my 95 Golf, but first I removed ALL the
old tape residue, socked the pieces in the bath tub in hot water to
removed all the dirt and sticky stuff....then buy some 3m VHB tape I
believe it's number 4930. The stuff is expensive but works well since
it is professional grade.

Old July 29th 05, 12:08 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Warren Abrey > wrote:
: Hi.

: I have one piece of the rubber trim that keeps falling off my 96 jetta,
: every few weeks I buy more trim tape, clean both surfaces with rubbing
: alcohol and put it back on... What am I doing wrong??

I got the grey 3m "heavy duty outdoors" tape to reattach nearly all the trim
on my 86 GTI as it was all falling off... It's been 2 years now and, knock
on wood, it's still good...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old July 29th 05, 03:55 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:

>Warren Abrey > wrote:
>: Hi.
>
>: I have one piece of the rubber trim that keeps falling off my 96 jetta,
>: every few weeks I buy more trim tape, clean both surfaces with rubbing
>: alcohol and put it back on... What am I doing wrong??
>
>I got the grey 3m "heavy duty outdoors" tape to reattach nearly all the trim
>on my 86 GTI as it was all falling off... It's been 2 years now and, knock
>on wood, it's still good...

I used Goop adhesive. It cures in a day or three. I used a ratchet
strap around the door to hold boards against the strip to keep the
strip in place.

That tape is going to be faster and probably neater. The Goop was
easier for me, including buying it at Home Depot. I did not clean
the strip perfectly, tho I did pick off some old adhesive and wipe
with solvent beforehand. The Goop held where some earlier tries did
not.

Old July 29th 05, 10:34 PM
Tony Bad

"Papa" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Go to a parts store such as NAPA and ask them for a quality cement. I've
> used it (comes in a tube) on my Buick, and the trim has stayed in place

for
> over 3 years, even after running the car through a car wash numerous

times.
> Make sure you get the right kind. It is called 3M Superweatherstrip
> Adhesive.
>
> "Warren Abrey" > wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have one piece of the rubber trim that keeps falling off my 96 jetta,
> > every few weeks I buy more trim tape, clean both surfaces with rubbing
> > alcohol and put it back on... What am I doing wrong??

Listen to Papa (this is usually good advice (;^D)).

The 3M adhesive (not tape) will last a long time. Be sure to clean
everything well.

--
Tony Bad
--------------

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old August 2nd 05, 12:08 AM
Nevermind

This happened to my '96 Cabrio.Go to the hardware store and buy a tube
of silicone rubber and a caulk gun.Use the clear GE silicone.Clean all
surfaces and apply a liberal maount to the trim.Use masking tape to
hold the trim in it's proper position.Let dry overnight. I made this
repair over two years ago and the trim has stayed put.

In article >, Warren Abrey
> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have one piece of the rubber trim that keeps falling off my 96 jetta,
> every few weeks I buy more trim tape, clean both surfaces with rubbing
> alcohol and put it back on... What am I doing wrong??

Body off - body support? Remco VW air cooled 15 July 19th 05 01:23 PM
2001 300m passenger door handle(inside) Fiberman Chrysler 19 March 27th 05 08:33 PM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 16th 04 11:38 PM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM