Are the Alfa 156 any good?

Old August 23rd 04, 11:33 AM
Martin

175BHP Multijet (2004)

Martin,

Old August 23rd 04, 01:15 PM
Simon C

"Zathras" wrote in message

> Oh..ok..each to his own! My preference would be to see how low I could
> get it not how high. It is so miserably boring driving a JTD at slow
> speed on a good road. You've got to drive a LONG way to get an
> accurate result. Life's too short mate!

I would have to agree with you. Just recently, she has been a pleasure to
drive.

I have seen such a marked improvement with mine. I have just passed 21k
miles and replaced all her tyres (Eagle NCTs)...she has never driven so
well.

The engine sounds superb and the tyre noise and grip is now much improved
over the Avon's I had previously. Even in the wet, I have more confidence
now than I did 5-6k miles ago.

Happy driving all.

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)

Old August 23rd 04, 01:44 PM
Zathras

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:12:23 +0100, "Martin" >
wrote:

>I have seen 60 mpg (according to the computer) on a couple of occaisions in
>my 2.4JTD SW (2004 multijet). Both were on about 30-40 mile runs at around
>40-50mph (B road and some dual carraigeway).

Unless you're a pensioner looking for a coffee shop, what's the point
in doing speeds like this on a dual carriageway in a 175hp Alfa?

>Admittedly, I was trying to
>see how good I could get it (without switching the aircon off!).

Oh..ok..each to his own! My preference would be to see how low I could
get it not how high. It is so miserably boring driving a JTD at slow
speed on a good road. You've got to drive a LONG way to get an
accurate result. Life's too short mate!

> Actually
>the computer recorded 59.9 both times - never seen it higher, not sure if
>this is a limit of the computer?

It's 100% unrealistic. Some time ago, I witnessed a VW Beetle
(original model) doing infinite miles to the gallon in the Highlands
of Scotland when the thing ran out of fuel and we were at the top of a
five mile descent to the fuel station. It was exciting wondering who'd
have to walk for the fuel but we made it.

>Generally, I get around 50mpg, or 42 if i'm pushing it. If I just go out
>for a real blast and come home again (ie no normal driving!) I get around
>38mpg.

In 27000 miles, I've averaged 41mpg so you can work out just how often
I enjoy my Alfa.

<snip>

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old August 23rd 04, 01:44 PM
Zathras

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:20:35 +0100, "Simon C"
> wrote:

<snip>
>42 - 44 mpg is a good run for me in the standard JTD.

Me too!

Old August 23rd 04, 04:33 PM
Mogens Beltoft

Zathras wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:12:23 +0100, "Martin" >

<snip>
> In 27000 miles, I've averaged 41mpg so you can work out just how often
> I enjoy my Alfa.

I've done 10.9 km/l (30.8 mi/gal(UK) or 25.6 mi/ga(US)) in the 50,000 km
(31,000 mi) I've had my 156 2.0 TS.

/Mogens

Old August 27th 04, 02:00 PM
Steve Drake

I am new to Alfa, I have a 156 2 JTS and its great.... but........

my trusty garage gave me a few warnings, watch the oil, for some reason it
goes very quickly (my dealer confirmed this, AFTER i baught the car). I got
some work done at the same trusty garage and he commented on how the body
work no longer rusts but bits that you don't see can be prone to rust, not
sure if this was him having a dig tho.

I always check my oil before a big journey and it often needs a top up.

Steve

om...

Old August 27th 04, 04:06 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: "Steve Drake" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:00:45 +0100
> Subject: Are the Alfa 156 any good?
>
> I am new to Alfa, I have a 156 2 JTS and its great.... but........
>
> my trusty garage gave me a few warnings, watch the oil, for some reason it
> goes very quickly (my dealer confirmed this, AFTER i baught the car). I got
> some work done at the same trusty garage and he commented on how the body
> work no longer rusts but bits that you don't see can be prone to rust, not
> sure if this was him having a dig tho.
>
> I always check my oil before a big journey and it often needs a top up.
>
> Steve

The TSparks are notorious for using oil and the JTS seems to be much the
same. Some don't use any and some use a lot. Alfa say that anything up to
1l/1000km is perfectly okay. As long as you keep topping it up, it'll go on
forever, but if you let it go too low you could do it a lot of damage, I
seem to remember a post about low oil level and fast cornering causing big
end damage. Anyway I regard it as a feature rather than a fault! As for
rust, I don't have any experience of the 156, but judging by my 164's and
what I have seen on wwww.alfaowner.com, Alfa have the rust problem well and
truly licked.

Old August 27th 04, 04:27 PM
David A Stocks

"Steve Drake" > wrote in message
> I am new to Alfa, I have a 156 2 JTS and its great.... but........
>
> my trusty garage gave me a few warnings, watch the oil, for some reason it
> goes very quickly (my dealer confirmed this, AFTER i baught the car). I

got
> some work done at the same trusty garage and he commented on how the body
> work no longer rusts but bits that you don't see can be prone to rust, not
> sure if this was him having a dig tho.
>
> I always check my oil before a big journey and it often needs a top up.

OTOH, I have a 2.4 JTD and, since the first 20K miles (I have done around
55K miles total), it hasn't required any oil between services. That is not
an excuse to stop doing regular checks though ...

D A Stocks

Ferrari / Alfa news Alfistagj Alfa Romeo 6 August 10th 04 03:31 PM
alfa gt vs alfa 147 suspension Pete Alfa Romeo 1 July 17th 04 08:09 PM
Alfa Speedometer rob Alfa Romeo 1 June 4th 04 09:48 PM
Light at the end of the tunnel for UK Alfa drivers?? Alfistagj Alfa Romeo 0 May 22nd 04 11:08 AM
Giulietta e Nuova 147 Plug-in Bourne Alfa Romeo 0 May 13th 04 01:16 PM