Tom and Ray on used cars

Old June 21st 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
RichD

Default Tom and Ray on used cars

I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
pamphlet,
$4.75, "How to buy great used car.."

Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? Anyone
recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?

--
Rich

Old June 21st 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
*

RichD > wrote in article
> I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
> pamphlet,
> $4.75, "How to buy great used car.."
>
> Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? Anyone
> recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?
>
> --
> Rich

The biggest "secret" about Click and Clack is that they often don't know
what they are talking about.

Old June 21st 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I went to a used car lot.I found my girlfriend's red dress in the back
seat!
~ Rodney Dangerfield. www.rodney.com
cuhulin

Old June 21st 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

That guy who lives catty corner behind me still has his 1991 Chevrolet
RV van (350 cu inch engine, about 175,000 miles on the vehicle) for
sale.He said it runs good, but if he takes his foot off of the
accelerator pedal, the engine dies.I was talking to him yesterday.He
said he has to get at least $1,300 for the van.I think that is too much
money for the amount of bread.I haven't been over there yet to look at
the van close up, but it does look like a nice van to me.He said he will
be out of town this weekend.I might get over there on Monday or
Tuesday.I don't know how to work on throttle body/fuel injection.He said
somebody told him it needs a new throttle body.I once looked up throttle
bodys for that vehicle.They start out at about $300.00.Too much money
for me!
cuhulin

Old June 21st 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Go out and look for whatever used vehicle you are interested in.Take it
out on the interstate and stomp the hell out of it for about fifty or a
hundred miles.If it holds up, it's probally a good vehicle.
cuhulin

Old June 21st 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Scott Dorsey

RichD > wrote:
>I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
>pamphlet,
>$4.75, "How to buy great used car.."
>
>Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? Anyone
>recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?

How long a car will last seems to have a lot to do with how well it was
treated in the first few thousand miles. Buy a car from somebody who
seems to be the kind of person who will treat a car well.

If you buy a car that was originally sold as a budget vehicle, it's more
likely that the first owner didn't have the money to do proper maintenance
on it early in the life of the car, than if you buy a high end vehicle.
Sadly, though, there are plenty of luxury cars out there that were abused
when they were new, too.

Ask for a maintenance log. Look around for stripped threads and rounded
bolts. Check the belts... if the belts aren't being changed on schedule,
odds are other things aren't either.
--scott
Old June 21st 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Scott Dorsey

In article <01c8d3af$5bf9e360$eb98c3d8@race>, * > wrote:

>The biggest "secret" about Click and Clack is that they often don't know
>what they are talking about.

What I like about them is that they state flat out that they often don't
know what they are talking about. You gotta give them credit for that.
--scott
Old June 22nd 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Steve W.[_4_]

Athol wrote:
> In aus.cars Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
>> - look for repaint. Look around the door seals and the window
>> fuzzies, the base of mirrors, the trim around the windows, look into
>> the fenders behind the door hinges to see if it used to be a different
>> color or just look for over spray. A repainted car is worth less and
>> may have been in an accident, and if the whole car appears to have
>> been repainted it could have been a serious on.

> Or it could be that some prick keyed most of the panels and the car
> got resprayed to fix it.
>
> Respraying in the original colour proves little about crash damage
> unless it's accompanied by panel edges that have been re-welded or the
> bolted panels have been disturbed.

Or it could have been repaired on the dealers lot after delivery. More
than a few of them out there. They get delivered, get a small scratch or
ding on the ride to the dealer and the dealer agrees to repair the spot
for a discounted price on the vehicle.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old June 22nd 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

wrote in article
www.rodney.com
> cuhulin

You didn't take your Aricept this morning....did you?

Old June 22nd 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

That is one of Rodney Dangerfield's old used car jokes.
cuhulin