A1 alternator, need advice

Old December 24th 04, 04:34 AM

The rubber bushing went to hell, so I jamed a big nut into its place.
This isnt that good of a ground, so I will try the ground strap from
alternator to engine, and chassis. Does an old alternator still put
out 65 amps?

Old December 24th 04, 11:47 AM
Woodchuck

Bad as*s stereo... you need AMPS and a lot of them! It's not the voltage but
the amps. As an example the new Touareg and Phaeton alternators can put out
over 200 amps with easy and still only have a voltage of 13.8 14.1 volts. So
find yourself the biggest hi AMP alt along with a big cable from the alt to
your battery and then crank up the volume.

oups.com...

Old December 24th 04, 11:47 AM
Woodchuck

Old December 24th 04, 01:35 PM
Nate Nagel

Tony Bad wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message

>>One last thing, is your idiot light working? (i.e. does it come on
>>before you start the engine?) having to rev to 3K to energize makes me
>>think you may have a "blue wire" fault, although it could also be a
>>dying regulator.
>>
>>good luck
>>
>>nate
>>
>>--

> What is a "blue wire fault"...on my 01 diesel I have no alternator light with
> key in on position before start, and then have to rev to 3000 rpm to get any
> voltage from alt.

There is a blue wire that runs from the back of the alternator to the
idiot light in the dash... not only does it make the idiot light work,
but it also provides the 12V (through the idiot light) that the
alternator uses as a reference for system voltage. If the wire is
broken or disconnected, it will work exactly like you are describing.
Had this problem on Michele's Corrado, it ended up being a single wire
connector being unplugged near the "frame" rail behind the driver's side
headlight. (of course I didn't find this out until I'd already popped
out the gauge panel. No matter, I needed to fix the odometer anyway...)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 24th 04, 01:35 PM
Nate Nagel

Old December 25th 04, 05:53 AM

Tony Bad wrote:

> What is a "blue wire fault"...on my 01 diesel I have no alternator light with
> key in on position before start, and then have to rev to 3000 rpm to get any
> voltage from alt.

Actually the blue wire is also known as an 'Exciter Wire'.

Yes it supplies 12v to the Alt during start up, and Yes it is wired
through the 'idiot light', it's main function is to provide a source of
electromagnetic power through the coils in the Alt until such time as
it's mechanical motion can start putting out power in the opposite
direction.

One thing to consider; if you don't have the blue wire/light hooked up
the Alt can still 'latch', but you'll need to rev the motor up and long
enough to start generating electricity from the rotation.

In closing I'd like to paraphrase from the good book of the Church of
the Free Electron; being Grounded is Primary, Manage the Hot Side with a
Large Capacity and Cleanliness w/ Good Mechanical Connections are key.

TBerk