Old unused oil filter OK to use?

Old June 29th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
bryanska

Default Old unused oil filter OK to use?

A guy on Craigslist is giving away some unused oil filters. They're my
size and type.

Only trouble is, they're old. A year or two.

Does age affect unused oil filters?
Old June 29th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Jun 29, 2:07 pm, bryanska > wrote:
> A guy on Craigslist is giving away some unused oil filters. They're my
> size and type.
>
> Only trouble is, they're old. A year or two.
>
> Does age affect unused oil filters?

Some stores have them on the shelf longer than that. They'll
age much faster in the heat of an engine's operation, yet they're on
some cars for a year or more. I'd think that if the rubber gasket
isn't dried out or cracking, and paper dust doesn't fall out when you
knock it around a bit, the filter should be OK. Five or ten years old,
I'd be careful. Might have rust inside the can, depending on the
climate it was sitting in.

Dan
Old June 29th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

bryanska > wrote:
>A guy on Craigslist is giving away some unused oil filters. They're my
>size and type.
>
>Only trouble is, they're old. A year or two.

That's old?

>Does age affect unused oil filters?

Maybe, if we're talking forty or fifty years, you might see some
degradation. I'd be wary of using NOS Model A filters. But a year
isn't going to hurt anything. Hell, I regularly will buy a five year
supply of filters when they are on sale, and keep them until I need them.
--scott
Old June 30th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"bryanska" > wrote in message
>A guy on Craigslist is giving away some unused oil filters. They're my
> size and type.
>
> Only trouble is, they're old. A year or two.
>
> Does age affect unused oil filters?

Depends on how they have been stored.. And I would guess you dont know how
they have been stored.. Humidity, temperature, etc...

Use them at your own risk.. Oil filters are not very expensive, per unit
mile.

Old June 30th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-06-29, bryanska > wrote:
> A guy on Craigslist is giving away some unused oil filters. They're my
> size and type.
>
> Only trouble is, they're old. A year or two.
>
> Does age affect unused oil filters?

Not one-two years... depends on what they've been exposed to if they are
bad or not. If they've been inside and dry they are probably fine.

I've bought extra filters at times (like when an autoparts store was
going out of business and had a bunch of motorcraft filters the right
size) and stored them indoors and they've been just fine.

Old June 30th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Scott Dorsey > wrote in article

> I'd be wary of using NOS Model A filters.

Yup!

NOS Model "A" oil filters are a priceless collector's item these days.

Old June 30th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

* wrote:
> Scott Dorsey > wrote in article
>

>> I'd be wary of using NOS Model A filters.

> Yup!
>
> NOS Model "A" oil filters are a priceless collector's item these days.

Did Model A's have oil filters? I wonder what the oil change interval
was...and what grade of oil they used.
Old July 1st 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"M.M." > wrote in message
>* wrote:
>> Scott Dorsey > wrote in article
>>

>>> I'd be wary of using NOS Model A filters.

What does NOS mean in this case? New Old Stock?

Old July 1st 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"M.M." > wrote in :

> * wrote:
>> Scott Dorsey > wrote in article
>>

>>> I'd be wary of using NOS Model A filters.

>> Yup!
>>
>> NOS Model "A" oil filters are a priceless collector's item these days.
>>

> Did Model A's have oil filters? I wonder what the oil change interval
> was...and what grade of oil they used.

The change interval was whenever you could get the corner gas station to
give you enough of their used oil for free. The grade was "black and oily",
filtered through an old undershirt, which was (ideally) mostly clean.

Nah, I didn't make all this up myself. Swiped most of it from
Clell Ballard...

--
Tegger

Old July 1st 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

HLS > wrote:
>"M.M." > wrote in message
>>* wrote:
>>> Scott Dorsey > wrote in article

>What does NOS mean in this case? New Old Stock?

Yes. A lot of old NOS parts that have been sitting around for years
may be in worse shape than the stuff you're replacing. Especially if
they are rubber or vinyl.
--scott