Steering Wheel vibration - 2005 CR-V LX 4WD

Old January 24th 05, 08:40 PM
Alex

Default Steering Wheel vibration - 2005 CR-V LX 4WD

We just got the 2005 CR-V LX 4WD. First day in it was back in the shop
-- for tire balancing and alignment (steering wheel was shaking at
55+mph and the car had a strong pull to the right).

This was addressed, so there is no pull...

Vibration, however, persists -- this one is not due tires being out of
balance. It seems to be coming from the road feedback. It is most
noticeable at 60+ mph (highway driving), to the point where ones hands
get tired of feeling this constant hum.. The car also feels very
jittery on the road -- almost to the point where it is too much work...

We took an EX out for a test drive -- granted, it has leather steering
wheels, different disks (alloy) and different tires. It holds the road
a bit better (less "agitation"), but the humming from the steering
wheel is still there.

I am used to driving bigger SUVs and never had a problem with this much
road noise. To me, a brand new car should be smooth... Tire pressure
verified -- 32 psi on all tires. No dirt, fairly smooth pavements
(figure, at 100 miles round trip per day, we cover all highway types).

Is this something other people experienced? Is this worth investigating
further with the dealer or is this just "the way it is?" Almost at the
point of just returning the car and getting an Accord with traction
control......

Thank you in advance!!!

Old January 26th 05, 04:10 AM
Jim

Old January 26th 05, 05:55 AM
Jim

Alex, sorry about the null response....

I have this same problem with a civic that I just bought. I suspect a
basic design issue but will be asking the dealer to address it anyway.
I'm not certain, but I think the CR-V and civic are on the same basic
platform. I drove a civic for a week prior to buying mine but it was a
rental and I thought the wheels were just slightly out of balance and
assumed it was nothing. Unfortunately its shown up in my new car.

I'm going to have them balance the tires, check the power steering pump
and fluid as well as the CV joints.

Regards,

Jim

Old January 27th 05, 02:26 PM
Alex

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct -- CR-V and Civic share the same
universal platform, so the design issues should show up in either
vehicle.

We had the tires balanced and the wheels aligned as the first step, but
it did not seem to help much.
Please let me know how you make out with your Civic.

Thanks!

--Alex

Old February 1st 05, 09:59 PM
Jim

Hi Alex,

I had the wheels balanced and there is no difference. The dealer
doesn't feel it but to be fair they're in a 55mph area and I usually
don't feel it till the upper range of 60. Funny thing is we bought a
CR-V (yeah, we're gluttons :-) and it seems less noticeable in that
vehicle than in the civic. I can live with it as long as its not
indicative of a defect of the specific car but rather indicative of a
design weakness. I should note that my wife doesn't really notice it.
It bugs me in principle more than in life. All in all I'm very happy
with the cars and don't expect it to be a sign of long term trouble.
But now that its documented at the dealership if it ever actually
becomes more of a problem they'll be obligated to treat it as a
warranty issue.

Jim