HELP,,electrical nightmare 90YJ 2.5

Old March 5th 05, 08:59 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Default HELP,,electrical nightmare 90YJ 2.5

Mike found the relay, got the starter, and alt back in,
went back to schucks,
another test, the alt is O.k. but im NOT charging my batt,
the
RED- wire on the plug, checks out O.K.
the
Brown-wire checks out O.K.
the RED- wire on the back of the alt checks out O.K.
,
what for crimminies sake can be stopping the alt from charging the
batt??
where do i go next,??

how do i track it,
GAWD im in electrical hell,
and its killing my new batt.

425-346-9210 if anybody wants to help me,

johnpeeeeeeDooofff

Old March 5th 05, 09:27 PM
Mike Romain

That fuse link wire I was mentioning. Either the connection is dirty or
it is dead. If the alternator wire broke and touched the case, it
popped the fuse link. That is the loop end and about 8" of soft rubber
red wire ending in a fat rubber crimp tube. It will be coming off the
same post as the battery cable goes on on the relay. You can get fuse
link wire at the dealer by the foot. It has to be crimped in place,
solder won't work and the alternator uses 14 Ga. fuse link. Sometimes
they sell it by the insulation color.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

im gonna read your post again, in a minute,
continuity test,---
nut on relay-to-red on back of alt---beep,
nut on relay-to-red on pos. batt---beep,
nut on relay-to-ground/frame--beep,
,
johnp
explain??

Old March 5th 05, 10:00 PM
Will Honea

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:59:54 UTC "Dirty Ditch Dawg"
> wrote:

> Mike found the relay, got the starter, and alt back in,
> went back to schucks,
> another test, the alt is O.k. but im NOT charging my batt,
> the
> RED- wire on the plug, checks out O.K.
> the
> Brown-wire checks out O.K.
> the RED- wire on the back of the alt checks out O.K.
> ,
> what for crimminies sake can be stopping the alt from charging the
> batt??
> where do i go next,??
>
> how do i track it,
> GAWD im in electrical hell,
> and its killing my new batt.

Just 'fixed' that problem here. Mine was a fuse wire - the one on the
end of fat read wire coming from the alternator. If you follow the
wires, the wire from the alternator goes to a bolt on the relay. A
wire from that same bolt goes to the battery, so (at least in my
setup) the alternator is hard wired to the battery. In my case, the
fuse wire had parted right at the crimp inside the rubber boot so that
the usual 'if it stretches it's broke' test didn't show it. Measure
both ends of that fuse wire.

I've also seen setups where there were two fuse wires: one from the
alternator to the distribution point and a second from there to the
battery. Murphy rules - it's the one you can't see that breaks ;-(

--
Will Honea
Old March 5th 05, 10:10 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Will
but will that couse the "nut" on the relay to give a Beep on a test to
ground?
isnt that nut isolated from ground?
im about to jump around my links, to try it,
as im getting a beep from all my wires,
so if the fuse-link was toast it shouldent beep,,right,,,i think,,,

gawd,,,

johnp

Old March 5th 05, 10:13 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

from my chilton book, ive got two red wires, to a fusable link,
comming out to a brown wire onto the relay bolt.
these are the ones ive tested, they beep.

johnp

Old March 5th 05, 11:15 PM
Mike Romain

I wish you would quote who you are answering....

Do you get a beep from the battery positive to the alternator post?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 5th 05, 11:45 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

wish you would quote who you are answering....

Do you get a beep from the battery positive to the alternator post?

Mike,
yes i get a beep from batt + to alt post.

could it be tied in with PCM???
,
johnp

Old March 5th 05, 11:49 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Why am i getting a beep from relay-post to ground??
there shouldent be a beep there should there?

Chilton for 90YJ Dirty Ditch Dawg Jeep 3 February 19th 05 06:57 PM
active speakers nightmare - help !!! Robert K VW water cooled 4 December 30th 04 05:09 PM
90YJ water temp Gauge [email protected] Jeep 0 December 26th 04 04:44 AM
Bukb replacement - 2002 A4 - nightmare! Jimbo Audi 2 December 5th 04 09:30 PM
Gray market E36 diesel -- good buy or orphan nightmare? Matt O'Toole BMW 5 November 3rd 04 08:14 PM