Bad service experience

Old February 16th 05, 08:08 PM

Default Bad service experience

I purchased a 99 Passat recently. 2.8L V6 5 speed. 49K
miles. The car ran great, I loved it. Since it was close to 50K
miles, I decided to get maintenance done, and took it to
Stevens Creek Volkswagen, in Santa Clara, CA.

They kept my car for 2 days, and now after spending more than
$1000, it feels so broken.

Before the service:

- No warning lights on and the engine idle
speed was stable.
- Shifting was smooth and I could "feel" plenty
of power.
- The only problems I reported were a) broken headlamp and
b) coolant temp. gauge not working

After the service:

- The check engine light is ON
- The engine idle speed is very unstable. Especially when
I stop at a light, the idle goes up and down between 1100 and 600,
before settling down to about 800.
- Shifting doesn't seem as smooth now.
- The coolant temp. gauge works, but there's a flashing red coolant
temp. warning (after driving for about 10 mins. in the morning,
it starts flashing and there's a loud beep). The gauge however
stays at around 190 (half way) and I don't see any heat or leakage
anywhere.

While they kept my car for the 40K mile service, they
called and said few items need to be replaced, like the
Serpentine Belt and Valve cover gasket. I OK'ed. Then they
called and said they are seeing some "fault codes" from the
Throttle body, and need to perform additional diagnostics ($120).
I OK'ed that too. Then they called and said the TB needs to
be replaced (estimate: $850) but didn't have the parts in stock.
The 40K mile service + additional repairs costed me abuot $1100.

Did anyone else experience similar issues with Stevens Creek VW ?
I am so damn frustrated with them right now... they took my perfectly
fine car, made me pay more than a grand, and returned it broken...

Thanks,

Old February 16th 05, 08:52 PM
Joseph Meehan

> I purchased a 99 Passat recently. 2.8L V6 5 speed. 49K
> miles. The car ran great, I loved it. Since it was close to 50K
> miles, I decided to get maintenance done, and took it to
> Stevens Creek Volkswagen, in Santa Clara, CA.
>
> They kept my car for 2 days, and now after spending more than
> $1000, it feels so broken.
>
> Before the service:
>
> - No warning lights on and the engine idle
> speed was stable.
> - Shifting was smooth and I could "feel" plenty
> of power.
> - The only problems I reported were a) broken headlamp and
> b) coolant temp. gauge not working
>
> After the service:
>
> - The check engine light is ON
> - The engine idle speed is very unstable. Especially when
> I stop at a light, the idle goes up and down between 1100 and 600,
> before settling down to about 800.
> - Shifting doesn't seem as smooth now.
> - The coolant temp. gauge works, but there's a flashing red coolant
> temp. warning (after driving for about 10 mins. in the morning,
> it starts flashing and there's a loud beep). The gauge however
> stays at around 190 (half way) and I don't see any heat or leakage
> anywhere.
>
> While they kept my car for the 40K mile service, they
> called and said few items need to be replaced, like the
> Serpentine Belt and Valve cover gasket. I OK'ed. Then they
> called and said they are seeing some "fault codes" from the
> Throttle body, and need to perform additional diagnostics ($120).
> I OK'ed that too. Then they called and said the TB needs to
> be replaced (estimate: $850) but didn't have the parts in stock.
> The 40K mile service + additional repairs costed me abuot $1100.
>
> Did anyone else experience similar issues with Stevens Creek VW ?
> I am so damn frustrated with them right now... they took my perfectly
> fine car, made me pay more than a grand, and returned it broken...
>
> Thanks,

Sorry, it sounds like the owner has a new boat and his payment is due.

I would check with your state's Attorney General. See if they have
anything on this guy. Contacting the regional VW people may help.

I am sorry to say, it is unlikely you are going to get any of your money
back, but you may be able to get them to fix it right without paying any
more.

The moral of this story is don't go to a dealer (almost any dealer) for
service other than that paid for by the original warrantee. You can have
all required service performed by a third party mechanic, just keep your
receipts. A good INDEPENDENT mechanic will almost always do as well (likely
better in this case) and charge a lot less.

It may be that everything listed needed to be done, but at the very
least they should not have returned it to you in that condition (light on)
and they should have warned you about the derivability issue that may or may
not go away after a couple of days. I would bet against it.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 16th 05, 10:17 PM
Woodchuck

Time to contact the dealer GM. Also the engine carries a 5year/50,000 mile
warranty from orignal date of sale for firsr owner. the valve cover gasket
may be warranty.

news

Old February 16th 05, 11:11 PM
Papa

You are talking to a global audience here. Few will be able to respond
knowledgeably regarding that particular service facility.

Old February 17th 05, 06:20 AM
CSS

Good independent shop in Santa Clara is New Dimensions on De La Cruz Avenue
near the airport. I've been going to them for years. They recently changed
ownership and got a new service manager, so jury is still out on how they'll
do going forward. But I can vouch for their work over the past eight
years--always very good.

oups.com...

Old February 17th 05, 06:21 AM
CSS

"Papa" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> You are talking to a global audience here. Few will be able to respond
> knowledgeably regarding that particular service facility.

I know them, and several of the local dealerships and shops. Small world,
isn't it?

Old February 17th 05, 07:55 AM
Randolph

CSS wrote:

> Good independent shop in Santa Clara is New Dimensions on De La Cruz Avenue
> near the airport. I've been going to them for years. They recently changed
> ownership and got a new service manager, so jury is still out on how they'll
> do going forward. But I can vouch for their work over the past eight
> years--always very good.

Agreed, and conveniently New Dimensions is right next door the the
Stevens Creek VW service facility. For parts, I like Sunnyvale VW on El
Camino. The parts guy (Trent) is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM