Mustang Repair Help Southern California - references?

Old February 5th 05, 10:50 PM
MoreOfTheBugs

Default Mustang Repair Help Southern California - references?

Hi,

I'm about to buy my first Mustang - a `67 coupe 289 V8. Before I get it
on the road, though, I want it gone through by someone who knows these
cars. It has a power steering fluid leak that needs attending to, plus
it needs a new light switch / turn signal stalk. Also a general
look-over/tune up for anything else.

Does anyone have any good references for repair work? I live in the
Costa Mesa, Newport Beach area. Email me at cajunaise (at sign)
hotmail.com, or post here. Thanks in advance!

Old February 14th 05, 07:55 AM
Emil Hoff

Just want to warn you, BEWARE of that PSF leak! That was a major
headache when I bought my '67. Of course, I have a 302 engine in mine,
which doesn't leave a lot of clearance for the pressure lines, which was
a large part of the problem. (Fun Fact: Power steering fluid is
flammable. One time outside Las Vegas I heard this "pfft" sound, then
HUGE billows of black smoke started pouring out from under the hood.
The line had rubbed against the exhaust mani, which was hot enough to
burn through the hose and ignite the PSF.)

Find out if the leak is in the lines (which is relatively easy to repair
if you have a 289 engine), or if it's the pump. If it's the pump, BE
WARNED: You can buy a pump, but they're sold without the pulley and
NOBODY sells the pulley! You have to take the pulley off the old pump
and put it on the new one. And you HAVE to use the proper tools.
(First I sold the old pump, then when I bought the new pump I found out
about the pulley thing and had to BUY BACK the old pump. Then I tried
to "improvise" removing the pulley, and ended up bending it. Finally I
had to take the whole mess to a machine shop. I spent what little money
I had left getting drunk that month.)

Wish I had a mechanic that I could rave to you about. If you do find a
good one, let me know?

Old February 14th 05, 05:12 PM
CobraJet

In article t>, Emil
Hoff > wrote:

> Just want to warn you, BEWARE of that PSF leak! That was a major
> headache when I bought my '67. Of course, I have a 302 engine in mine,

Not originally you didn't, and why should that be any different than
a 289?

> which doesn't leave a lot of clearance for the pressure lines, which was
> a large part of the problem. (Fun Fact: Power steering fluid is
> flammable. One time outside Las Vegas I heard this "pfft" sound, then
> HUGE billows of black smoke started pouring out from under the hood.
> The line had rubbed against the exhaust mani, which was hot enough to
> burn through the hose and ignite the PSF.)
>
> Find out if the leak is in the lines (which is relatively easy to repair
> if you have a 289 engine), or if it's the pump. If it's the pump, BE
> WARNED: You can buy a pump, but they're sold without the pulley and
> NOBODY sells the pulley! You have to take the pulley off the old pump
> and put it on the new one. And you HAVE to use the proper tools.

The best tool for that is an electric impact gun. Air guns are
almost as good.

> (First I sold the old pump, then when I bought the new pump I found out
> about the pulley thing and had to BUY BACK the old pump. Then I tried
> to "improvise" removing the pulley, and ended up bending it. Finally I
> had to take the whole mess to a machine shop. I spent what little money
> I had left getting drunk that month.)

Ebay is full of used pulleys, and the Ford parts vendors have them
brand new for 80 bucks or less. Do your homework before you start
spreading misinformation.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 15th 05, 01:59 AM
Emil Hoff

CobraJet wrote:
> In article t>, Emil
> Hoff > wrote:
>

>>Just want to warn you, BEWARE of that PSF leak! That was a major
>>headache when I bought my '67. Of course, I have a 302 engine in mine,

> Not originally you didn't, and why should that be any different than
> a 289?

Yes I did, it was in when I bought it. NOW who's spreading
misinformation? The difference is what I said directly below. With a
302 engine, there's less clearance for the pressure lines. They kept
coming up against the exhaust manifold and burning through. But when I
tied them down there wasn't enough "free play" when the wheels were
turned, and the metal part of the lines would bend and crack. It's a
very delicate balance; but as I said in my message (if you read it),
it's not an issue if you have a 289.

>>which doesn't leave a lot of clearance for the pressure lines, which was
>>a large part of the problem. (Fun Fact: Power steering fluid is
>>flammable. One time outside Las Vegas I heard this "pfft" sound, then
>>HUGE billows of black smoke started pouring out from under the hood.
>>The line had rubbed against the exhaust mani, which was hot enough to
>>burn through the hose and ignite the PSF.)

Surprised you didn't have something snide to say here.
>>Find out if the leak is in the lines (which is relatively easy to repair
>>if you have a 289 engine), or if it's the pump. If it's the pump, BE
>>WARNED: You can buy a pump, but they're sold without the pulley and
>>NOBODY sells the pulley! You have to take the pulley off the old pump
>>and put it on the new one. And you HAVE to use the proper tools.

> The best tool for that is an electric impact gun. Air guns are
> almost as good.
>

>>(First I sold the old pump, then when I bought the new pump I found out
>>about the pulley thing and had to BUY BACK the old pump. Then I tried
>>to "improvise" removing the pulley, and ended up bending it. Finally I
>>had to take the whole mess to a machine shop. I spent what little money
>>I had left getting drunk that month.)

> Ebay is full of used pulleys, and the Ford parts vendors have them
> brand new for 80 bucks or less. Do your homework before you start
> spreading misinformation.

Well EXCUSE me, but I *couldn't* find a pulley for love or money at the
time; admittedly it was in the days before Ebay. In any case I was
relating my own experience, which DID happen. While I'm doing my
homework, why don't you read messages through before calling someone a liar.

Old February 15th 05, 02:41 AM
CobraJet

In article t>, Emil
Hoff > wrote:

> CobraJet wrote:
> > In article t>, Emil
> > Hoff > wrote:
> >

> >>Just want to warn you, BEWARE of that PSF leak! That was a major
> >>headache when I bought my '67. Of course, I have a 302 engine in mine,

> > Not originally you didn't, and why should that be any different than
> > a 289?
> >

> Yes I did, it was in when I bought it. NOW who's spreading
> misinformation?

You are. The 302 didn't come out until part way through the '68
production year. Your car had a 289 in it, *originally*.

> The difference is what I said directly below. With a
> 302 engine, there's less clearance for the pressure lines.

Stupid observation number two. 289's and 302's are the same
dimensions externally, and one would have no more or less clearance
than the other.

> They kept
> coming up against the exhaust manifold and burning through. But when I
> tied them down there wasn't enough "free play" when the wheels were
> turned, and the metal part of the lines would bend and crack. It's a
> very delicate balance; but as I said in my message (if you read it),
> it's not an issue if you have a 289.

You're such an idiot. See above.

> >>which doesn't leave a lot of clearance for the pressure lines, which was
> >>a large part of the problem. (Fun Fact: Power steering fluid is
> >>flammable. One time outside Las Vegas I heard this "pfft" sound, then
> >>HUGE billows of black smoke started pouring out from under the hood.
> >>The line had rubbed against the exhaust mani, which was hot enough to
> >>burn through the hose and ignite the PSF.)
> >>

> Surprised you didn't have something snide to say here.
> >>Find out if the leak is in the lines (which is relatively easy to repair
> >>if you have a 289 engine), or if it's the pump. If it's the pump, BE
> >>WARNED: You can buy a pump, but they're sold without the pulley and
> >>NOBODY sells the pulley! You have to take the pulley off the old pump
> >>and put it on the new one. And you HAVE to use the proper tools.

> > The best tool for that is an electric impact gun. Air guns are
> > almost as good.
> >

> >>(First I sold the old pump, then when I bought the new pump I found out
> >>about the pulley thing and had to BUY BACK the old pump. Then I tried
> >>to "improvise" removing the pulley, and ended up bending it. Finally I
> >>had to take the whole mess to a machine shop. I spent what little money
> >>I had left getting drunk that month.)

> > Ebay is full of used pulleys, and the Ford parts vendors have them
> > brand new for 80 bucks or less. Do your homework before you start
> > spreading misinformation.
> >

> Well EXCUSE me, but I *couldn't* find a pulley for love or money at the
> time; admittedly it was in the days before Ebay. In any case I was
> relating my own experience, which DID happen. While I'm doing my
> homework, why don't you read messages through before calling someone a liar.

Your message says "...but they're sold without the pulley and NOBODY
sells the pulley." That is present tense, asshole.

Old February 15th 05, 07:27 AM
Emil Hoff

Credit where credit is due. I did not know that a 289 has the same
clearance as a 302. I stand corrected.

Apparently, I committed a Crime Against Truth by saying that nobody
SELLS the pulley, rather than saying nobody SOLD the pulley at the time
that I was replacing the pump. I stand corrected again.

Since the correct use of tense obviously is very important to you, I
said I HAVE a 302, not HAD. Dimpledick.

Meanwhile, I will post a formal apology in
alt.grammar.for.nitpicking.assholes.

Old February 15th 05, 05:39 PM
CobraJet

In article >, Emil
Hoff > wrote:

> Credit where credit is due. I did not know that a 289 has the same
> clearance as a 302. I stand corrected.
>
> Apparently, I committed a Crime Against Truth by saying that nobody
> SELLS the pulley, rather than saying nobody SOLD the pulley at the time
> that I was replacing the pump. I stand corrected again.
>
> Since the correct use of tense obviously is very important to you, I
> said I HAVE a 302, not HAD. Dimpledick.
>
> Meanwhile, I will post a formal apology in
> alt.grammar.for.nitpicking.assholes.

Sour grapes. In Usenet, what you write and how you write it is
important to your credibility. You cannot dismiss tense out of hand
because things are constantly changing in this hobby. I started
wrenching on my '68 in '73; I cannot talk about it as if it were
yesterday. For years people with good intentions have come in here with
erroneous "facts", and it's up to those with more experience to stop
the falsehoods before they multiply.

Now, I think it's great that you are working on your car. I suggest
obtaining a reprint of the '67 factory service manual from Autokrafters
or similar vendor if you don't already have it. Lots and lots of info
there. There are books specIfic to restoration of Classic Mustangs. If
you have questions about what engine sizes belong to what engine
families, just ask. This also goes to the original poster in this
thread.

Likewise, if you need your data codes decoded so you know what was
original on your car, we can do that here. In particular, I'm fairly
hip to California black and yellow plates, and if you want to know if
yours are correct for a '67, tell me the first two letters.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1