'96 2.0 golf oil light/buzzer

Old February 12th 05, 02:03 PM
andy

Default '96 2.0 golf oil light/buzzer

I have a 96 golf 2.0 78K. The oil light/buzzer has come on twice in the last
two days for an instant, less than a second each time. I was cornering both
times but when pushed harder into a tighter corner, it didn't come on. I
checked oil level and it was near full. Never seen this before. Any history
of oil pumps going bad in these bombproof little engines? Any other
thoughts?
TIA.
andy

Old February 14th 05, 01:13 AM
Tim Hogard

andy (trifox13atcovaddotnet) wrote:
: I have a 96 golf 2.0 78K. The oil light/buzzer has come on twice in the last
: two days for an instant, less than a second each time. I was cornering both
: times but when pushed harder into a tighter corner, it didn't come on. I
: checked oil level and it was near full. Never seen this before. Any history
: of oil pumps going bad in these bombproof little engines? Any other
: thoughts?
There is a history of the oil sensor circuit going bad. I had an 86
long ago and it did the same thing. I don't know about your year but
the older ones had two oil presure sensors and the slight
flicker was the high pressure sensor, not the low pressure one.

Its worth getting the oil presure checked. If there is a problem,
this will be the 1st sign of it and it could rapidly result in a
very expensive problem.

If its not a real problem, find the two oil presure sensors in your
car. Disconnect the wire from one and see what shows up on the
dash and then disconnect the other and see wht it does. On my car
one flashed and the other buzzed and was a solid light. Then
reconnect them before you drive away. The low pressure sensor will
be lower on the engine and the high pressure one tends to be on the
top. If its just the high pressure one and the oil pressure is
normal, just ignore it. If its the low pressure system, get it
fixed.

On the 86 types, it appeared to be worse earlyier on cars that
were keept outside in hotter areas. I'm guessing it was heat
damage to the circut that is built into the back of the dash.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com
Old February 15th 05, 01:53 AM
Tim Wohlford

Throw a real oil gauge on that thing, and find out what it's doing.

You've got 2 low pressure switches on that thing, one that senses at idle
(barely a pound or two) and another that goes off when your engine is "at
speed" (around 7-10 psi or so). You tripped the last one. There is a
history of problems in older cars of the circuit malfunctioning, but you
won't know until you put in that oil gauge.

I don't know about the 2.0L of that vintage, but the previous 1.8L didn't
like anything less than xW50 motor oil.

Tim Wohlford
'89 Golf
'98 Jetta

ervers.com...

Old June 1st 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

i have 1999 passat v6 an oil light comes on only after 10 min. at idle
only, any help. thanks