What car had an aluminum block & head V8 or V6 engine?

Old February 13th 05, 03:20 AM
Chief McGee

Default What car had an aluminum block & head V8 or V6 engine?

Designing a new project and I need a light weight engine. I seem to recall
that Buick offered a aluminum block and head V8 a few years back. A V6
would do. Anybody know a older car that I could pick up cheap that would
have one of these engines? Thanks

Old February 13th 05, 04:31 AM
doug

Try to find a 1963 Olds F-85 Jetfire Rocket V-8.. As an added bonus, it
might be turbocharged.

215 c.i. & 215 bhp WOW !!

Old February 13th 05, 05:24 PM
Kruse

doug wrote:
> Try to find a 1963 Olds F-85 Jetfire Rocket V-8.. As an added bonus,

it
> might be turbocharged.
>
> 215 c.i. & 215 bhp WOW !!

They may have been offered, but they are rare. Plus, the bottom ends of
these engines were pretty weak and I've seen several in the salvage
yard where the main caps have pulled completely out of the block. I've
got a buddy who has one of these cars and still drives it when the
weather is nice. (non-turboed)

I believe GM sold the tooling for this motor to Triumph/British Leyland
and was later on used in the Triumph TR-8.

This would be an okay motor in a street rod or an open motored cruiser,
but other than that, I think there are better choices for every day
use, especially considering the parts availability on these engines.
YMMV.

Old February 13th 05, 09:02 PM
Kathy and Erich Coiner

"Chief McGee" > wrote in message
> Designing a new project and I need a light weight engine. I seem to

recall
> that Buick offered a aluminum block and head V8 a few years back. A V6
> would do. Anybody know a older car that I could pick up cheap that would
> have one of these engines? Thanks

Ford 4.6L DOHC from the Mustang Cobra
Cadillac north star
Olds Aurora?
Range Rover has the Aluminum V8 based on the old GM Buick 215

Fiat Dino Coupe with 2L V6 (the 2.4L is iron block)

Old February 14th 05, 12:12 PM
Nate Nagel

Kruse wrote:

> doug wrote:
>
>>Try to find a 1963 Olds F-85 Jetfire Rocket V-8.. As an added bonus,

> it
>
>>might be turbocharged.
>>
>>215 c.i. & 215 bhp WOW !!
>>

> They may have been offered, but they are rare. Plus, the bottom ends of
> these engines were pretty weak and I've seen several in the salvage
> yard where the main caps have pulled completely out of the block. I've
> got a buddy who has one of these cars and still drives it when the
> weather is nice. (non-turboed)
>
> I believe GM sold the tooling for this motor to Triumph/British Leyland
> and was later on used in the Triumph TR-8.
>
> This would be an okay motor in a street rod or an open motored cruiser,
> but other than that, I think there are better choices for every day
> use, especially considering the parts availability on these engines.
> YMMV.

I think it was the Buick version of this engine that was sold to BL and
it was (is still?) used in Range Rovers so if you really want one you
might be able to find one in a 'yard. I would imagine the newer
versions have more of the bugs worked out of them. I ASSume the weak
points were strengthened as TVR was using it for a time as well, as well
as I think Morgan (?)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 14th 05, 03:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:

> I think it was the Buick version of this engine that was sold to BL and
> it was (is still?) used in Range Rovers so if you really want one you
> might be able to find one in a 'yard. I would imagine the newer
> versions have more of the bugs worked out of them. I ASSume the weak
> points were strengthened as TVR was using it for a time as well, as well
> as I think Morgan (?)

GM bugs + British engineering does not inspire confidence.
Old February 14th 05, 06:02 PM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > I think it was the Buick version of this engine that was sold to BL

and
> > it was (is still?) used in Range Rovers so if you really want one

you
> > might be able to find one in a 'yard. I would imagine the newer
> > versions have more of the bugs worked out of them. I ASSume the

weak
> > points were strengthened as TVR was using it for a time as well, as

well
> > as I think Morgan (?)

> GM bugs + British engineering does not inspire confidence.

True, but then again, the SUV-driving soccer mom crowd doesn't handle
finicky engines with Special Instructions(tm) that well, and Range
Rover is still in business, so I have to ASSume that it's at least
acceptably reliable. Of course I have no direct personal experience, I
was just throwing that out for informational purposes.

nate

(of course, Mitsubishi is still in business as well, so you may have a
point.)

Old February 14th 05, 10:13 PM
Steve

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>I think it was the Buick version of this engine that was sold to BL and
>>it was (is still?) used in Range Rovers so if you really want one you
>>might be able to find one in a 'yard. I would imagine the newer
>>versions have more of the bugs worked out of them. I ASSume the weak
>>points were strengthened as TVR was using it for a time as well, as well
>>as I think Morgan (?)

> GM bugs + British engineering does not inspire confidence.

Nah, the 215 was thorougly de-bugged before the Brits got hold of it,
and other than Lucas electrics they never buggered it up either.. GM
selling that fantastic engine was about as smart (for GM) as their
recent dealings with Fiat.
Old February 14th 05, 11:59 PM
Nate Nagel

Steve wrote:

> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>>

>>> I think it was the Buick version of this engine that was sold to BL and
>>> it was (is still?) used in Range Rovers so if you really want one you
>>> might be able to find one in a 'yard. I would imagine the newer
>>> versions have more of the bugs worked out of them. I ASSume the weak
>>> points were strengthened as TVR was using it for a time as well, as well
>>> as I think Morgan (?)

>> GM bugs + British engineering does not inspire confidence.

> Nah, the 215 was thorougly de-bugged before the Brits got hold of it,
> and other than Lucas electrics they never buggered it up either.. GM
> selling that fantastic engine was about as smart (for GM) as their
> recent dealings with Fiat.

Using "smart" and "GM" in the same sentence does not compute.

This is the same company that:

- picked their absolute *worst* V-8 design to standardize on as their
"corporate" engine over several much superior designs from Olds, Buick,
Pontiac, and Cadillac
- has a long history of introducing promising new models before they're
fully ready for prime time, letting the customers do the beta testing,
and then pulling the plug right when they've almost got it sorted out
(but after acquiring a reputation for pervasive ****tiness) - Fiero, anyone?
- has sold several other decent engines away, and bought back at least
one of them - notably the Buick V-6 that was sold to Willys/AMC and then
resurrected and eventually evolved into the 3800

The thing that I really don't understand is why their products are so
damned popular. Other than a few superstars like the 'vette, their
product line is pretty much uniformly blah.

nate