Lane use questions.

Old February 4th 05, 01:38 PM
Robert F Merrill

Default Lane use questions.

I'm a bit of a novice driver, and live in an area where using a freeway is
not a common occurrence -- in fact, roads very rarely have more than 2
lanes in either direction, and the ones that even have that many are
usually within the town centers.

Since I'm a newbie and I've never really had anyone teach me this, I have a
few questions about lane use:

Does "left lane passing only" apply in heavy (<30 mph) congestion? I figured
that in this situation everyone would be wanting to pass everyone else, so
any use of the left lane would be "passing".

If I'm driving on a freeway with 5 lanes in either direction, and there are
no cars for 1/4 mile in front or behind me, what lane should I be in?

(I tried figuring this out myself, and I decided on the #4 lane. I think it
would be best to stay as far to the right as I can, but I ruled out the #5
lane because I would be getting in the way of anyone merging onto or
exiting off of the freeway)

How do I properly choose which lane to use on a) a non-controlled access
highway b) a city street? Do I KRETP, or do I pick my lane depending on
which direction I'm eventually turning?

Old February 4th 05, 06:58 PM
Arif Khokar

Robert F Merrill wrote:

> Does "left lane passing only" apply in heavy (<30 mph) congestion? I figured
> that in this situation everyone would be wanting to pass everyone else, so
> any use of the left lane would be "passing".

If you're talking about traffic on a highway, then KRETP is really
irrelevant under those conditions.

> If I'm driving on a freeway with 5 lanes in either direction, and there are
> no cars for 1/4 mile in front or behind me, what lane should I be in?

The right most lane.

> (I tried figuring this out myself, and I decided on the #4 lane. I think it
> would be best to stay as far to the right as I can, but I ruled out the #5
> lane because I would be getting in the way of anyone merging onto or
> exiting off of the freeway)

Remember, you have the right of way if you're already on the highway.
If you're the only car within a 1/2 mile, then people merging onto the
highway should have no trouble finding a gap to merge into. Even if
that's not the case, you always have the option of temporarily moving
one lane over to pass those who are "merging."

> How do I properly choose which lane to use on a) a non-controlled access
> highway

The right lane.

> b) a city street?

Preferably the right lane.

> do I pick my lane depending on which direction I'm eventually turning?

If you're keeping up with traffic it shouldn't be as much of an issue.
Ideally you should get into the correct lane about 20 seconds before the
turn. If there is too much traffic for that, then get into the correct
lane and keep up with traffic.
Old February 4th 05, 07:27 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 07:38:40 -0500, Robert F Merrill
> wrote:

>I'm a bit of a novice driver, and live in an area where using a freeway is
>not a common occurrence -- in fact, roads very rarely have more than 2
>lanes in either direction, and the ones that even have that many are
>usually within the town centers.
>
>Since I'm a newbie and I've never really had anyone teach me this, I have a
>few questions about lane use:
>
>Does "left lane passing only" apply in heavy (<30 mph) congestion? I figured
>that in this situation everyone would be wanting to pass everyone else, so
>any use of the left lane would be "passing".
>
>If I'm driving on a freeway with 5 lanes in either direction, and there are
>no cars for 1/4 mile in front or behind me, what lane should I be in?
>
>(I tried figuring this out myself, and I decided on the #4 lane.

You lost me.....how is it that you live in hicksville, but are
knowledgable about lane numbering conventions?

Old February 4th 05, 07:28 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:58:01 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>> How do I properly choose which lane to use on a) a non-controlled access
>> highway

>The right lane.

But just to cover all your bases, you should also change lanes every
15 seconds
Old February 5th 05, 12:41 AM
Robert F Merrill

Olaf Gustafson wrote:

> You lost me.....how is it that you live in hicksville, but are
> knowledgable about lane numbering conventions?

Internet!

The funny part is that Hicksville, NY (yes, that is its real name) is 80
miles west of me, is much more urban and is in the middle of 5 freeways.
Old February 5th 05, 12:46 AM
Robert F Merrill

Arif Khokar wrote:

>> If I'm driving on a freeway with 5 lanes in either direction, and there
>> are no cars for 1/4 mile in front or behind me, what lane should I be in?

> The right most lane.

Really? I understand the logic in KRETP, but I don't see why I should prefer
the #5 over the #4, when anything less than a traffic jam can easily get by
me in the three lanes to my left.
Old February 5th 05, 05:29 AM
Robert F Merrill

Robert F Merrill wrote:

> Really? I understand the logic in KRETP, but I don't see why I should
> prefer the #5 over the #4, when anything less than a traffic jam can
> easily get by me in the three lanes to my left.

Anyone?
Old February 5th 05, 04:29 PM
Arif Khokar

Robert F Merrill wrote:
>>Really? I understand the logic in KRETP, but I don't see why I should
>>prefer the #5 over the #4, when anything less than a traffic jam can
>>easily get by me in the three lanes to my left.

Why should they have only 3 lanes available when they can have 4? When
you have to take an exit, why do you need to put yourself in a position
of having to make a lane change that would not have been necessary had
you been in the right most lane.

> Anyone?

Hardly anyone monitors usenet 24/7 Robert.
Old February 6th 05, 05:42 AM
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> You're like the computer programmer who will spend a week
> hand-optimizing a subroutine in assembly language even though the
> routine only gets called once a year and takes less than a microsecond
> to execute, even before you optimized it.

IMO, it's like writing a subroutine to handle a condition that need not
occur in the first place.
Old February 6th 05, 02:23 PM
Nate Nagel

Arif Khokar wrote:

> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>> You're like the computer programmer who will spend a week
>> hand-optimizing a subroutine in assembly language even though the
>> routine only gets called once a year and takes less than a microsecond
>> to execute, even before you optimized it.

> IMO, it's like writing a subroutine to handle a condition that need not
> occur in the first place.

Error handler started. Exiting now

nate

--