Diesel-Electric Cars

Old July 18th 05, 07:35 PM
N8N

Default Diesel-Electric Cars

photon wrote:
> group,
>
> Why are there no diesel-electric cars?
>
> That is, a powertrain set up like certain locomotovies, where the diesel
> portion runs at a constant, efficient rpm, which charges a
> electric powertrain which produces the actual movement.
>
> Is there something about this arrangement that makes it impractical for
> passenger automobile usage? At first I thought it could be a weight
> issue, but, there are plenty of gas/electric cars now, and even given
> the heavier weight of a diesel engine, it doesn't seem huge enough.
>
> Thoughts?
> Obviously the enjoyment of running an engine through its power band
> would be gone, but, it should have fuel efficiency gains for certain
> applications...

I think it is indeed a weight issue. Now why Diesels aren't being used
in parallel-hybrid applications like an automotive gasoline/electric
hybrid, I can't answer that.

nate

Old July 18th 05, 08:05 PM
fbloogyudsr

"photon" > wrote
> Why are there no diesel-electric cars?
>
> That is, a powertrain set up like certain locomotovies, where the diesel
> portion runs at a constant, efficient rpm, which charges a
> electric powertrain which produces the actual movement.
>
> Is there something about this arrangement that makes it impractical for
> passenger automobile usage? At first I thought it could be a weight
> issue, but, there are plenty of gas/electric cars now, and even given
> the heavier weight of a diesel engine, it doesn't seem huge enough.

The main problem is that automobiles have to meet (and rightfully so IMO)
much stricter emissions standards than large (train, ship, tractor) diesels.
(This is changing - now that auto/truck emissions is controlled, large
diesels make a higher % of emissions and are worth going after.)\

A diesel-hybrid would make a really good car - WAG would be 75-100mpg.
The advent of low-sulfur diesel next year will alleviate most of the
problems (with soot), and you should see more diesels that meet
the NOx emissions after they figure out soot traps that will go the
length of time that EPA specs (IIRC it's 100K miles). Mercedes'
E320TDI is very close to meeting the standard, and VW is not
far behind. BMW says that it will also be re-introducing diesels
in 2007.

Then, it's only a matter of time before a diesel-hybrid becomes
available (I hope.)

Floyd

Old July 18th 05, 08:41 PM
223rem

photon wrote:
> group,
>
> Why are there no diesel-electric cars?

There exist diesel-electric trucks. I understand
Fedex has some in their fleet.
Old July 18th 05, 09:37 PM
Paul.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:05:26 -0700, fbloogyudsr , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> "photon" > wrote
> > Why are there no diesel-electric cars?
> >
> > That is, a powertrain set up like certain locomotovies, where the diesel
> > portion runs at a constant, efficient rpm, which charges a
> > electric powertrain which produces the actual movement.
> >
> > Is there something about this arrangement that makes it impractical for
> > passenger automobile usage? At first I thought it could be a weight
> > issue, but, there are plenty of gas/electric cars now, and even given
> > the heavier weight of a diesel engine, it doesn't seem huge enough.

> The main problem is that automobiles have to meet (and rightfully so IMO)
> much stricter emissions standards than large (train, ship, tractor) diesels.
> (This is changing - now that auto/truck emissions is controlled, large
> diesels make a higher % of emissions and are worth going after.)\
>
> A diesel-hybrid would make a really good car - WAG would be 75-100mpg.
> The advent of low-sulfur diesel next year will alleviate most of the
> problems (with soot), and you should see more diesels that meet
> the NOx emissions after they figure out soot traps that will go the
> length of time that EPA specs (IIRC it's 100K miles). Mercedes'
> E320TDI is very close to meeting the standard, and VW is not
> far behind. BMW says that it will also be re-introducing diesels
> in 2007.
>
> Then, it's only a matter of time before a diesel-hybrid becomes
> available (I hope.)

If the MPG estimate you have pans out (even the low side, 75MPG, would be
great) the sooner the technology for Diesel hybrids can be perfected and
put on the market, the better.

--
Paul

Self-appointed unofficial overseer of kooks
and trolls in rec.autos.driving.
Old July 18th 05, 10:31 PM
C. E. White

"223rem" > wrote in message
m...
> photon wrote:
>> group,
>>
>> Why are there no diesel-electric cars?

> There exist diesel-electric trucks. I understand
> Fedex has some in their fleet.

see
http://www.eaton.com/NASApp/cs/Conte...=1081448830672

Ed

Old July 18th 05, 11:22 PM
223rem

C. E. White wrote:
> "223rem" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>photon wrote:
>>
>>>group,
>>>
>>>Why are there no diesel-electric cars?

>>There exist diesel-electric trucks. I understand
>>Fedex has some in their fleet.

> see
> http://www.eaton.com/NASApp/cs/Conte...=1081448830672

Diesel electric engines would be very appropriate for ships, but most
ships use diesels. With the increase in price of oil, I am sure diesel
electric marine engines will become widespread.
Old July 19th 05, 12:04 AM
fbloogyudsr

"223rem" > wrote
> C. E. White wrote:
>> see
>> http://www.eaton.com/NASApp/cs/Conte...=1081448830672
>>

> Diesel electric engines would be very appropriate for ships, but most
> ships use diesels. With the increase in price of oil, I am sure diesel
> electric marine engines will become widespread.

AFAIK, almost all the WA State ferries are diesel-electric,
very similar to locomotives. I believe that they've even shifted to
low sulfur fuel.

See: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/your_wsf/our_fleet.

Floyd