Accord 2008 and fuel octane

Old January 19th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default Accord 2008 and fuel octane

jim beam wrote:
> M.A. Stewart wrote:
>> Tony Harding ) writes:

>>> Thanks - that's it in a nutshell.

>> But MacFarty's wonky struts are inherently wonky. Look at what Honda
>> did with
>> the Civic when they went to "MacFarty struts"... they had to mount the
>> steering rack about four feet off the ground, with frickin' Ford Twin
>> I-Beams for tie rods, to try and get rid of the inherent 'bump steer' of
>> Mr. MacFarty's wonky design.

> but they don't /want/ to know about the reasoning - they just want to
> watch ricer videos on the net.

LOL, this NG is priceless! :-D
Old January 19th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

jim beam wrote:
> ACAR wrote:
>>> drifting is not handling big guy

>> the link at Edmunds is to a 3-lap race at a road course in Japan.
>> some drifting by the S2000, not entirely intentional
>> try it, you'll rice it.
>> [there's more to the story as there were other "heats" taken by a
>> lightly modified S2000]
>>
>> - there's limited tire adhesion, so the
>>> problems of geometry are lost in the overall slippage. that's why you
>>> have macpherson on rally cars and wishbone on [successful] circuit cars
>>> - one slides, the other doesn't.

>> I'm not disputing the theoretical superiority of double A-arm
>> suspensions for the pavement. (As you know, part of the beauty of this
>> design is the flexibility to engineer in (or out) the handling/
>> response desired.)
>> I'm disputing the blanket assertion that all double A-arm suspensions
>> are better than all MacPherson struts suspensions.

> unless there's a fundamental oversight by the designer, they are though.
> macpherson simply cannot get around the geometry problems that
> wishbones can.
>

>> The last Accord we
>> bought is a competent handling car but nothing more.

> again, what is the tire width? compare like with like. camry has a
> wider stock tire width than accord. drives great in a straight line and
> on moderate curves. but despite the compensation of the wider tire, it
> can't hang with the accord in the twisties.

And that's all due to the struts? I doubt it.
Old January 19th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

ACAR wrote:
> On Jan 18, 9:30 am, jim beam > wrote:
>
>>> I'm disputing the blanket assertion that all double A-arm suspensions
>>> are better than all MacPherson struts suspensions.

>> unless there's a fundamental oversight by the designer, they are though.

> a double A-arm suspension can't be crappy?
> really?
>
>> macpherson simply cannot get around the geometry problems that
>> wishbones can.

> double A-arm suspensions certainly can be well designed.
> and some aren't.
>
>>> The last Accord we
>>> bought is a competent handling car but nothing more.

>> again, what is the tire width? compare like with like.

> one might argue that designers include tire considerations when
> designing suspensions so comparing like with like is to keep OEM
> sizes, not forcing a single size onto the cars.
>
>> camry has a
>> wider stock tire width than accord. drives great in a straight line and
>> on moderate curves. but despite the compensation of the wider tire, it
>> can't hang with the accord in the twisties.

> camry?
> who picked that as the standard bearer for strut suspension design?
>
> what else ya got?

BMW (as someone posted)
Porsche (as I posted)
Old January 19th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

jim beam wrote:
> ACAR wrote:

>>> unless there's a fundamental oversight by the designer, they are though.

>> a double A-arm suspension can't be crappy?
>> really?
>>
>>> macpherson simply cannot get around the geometry problems that
>>> wishbones can.

>> double A-arm suspensions certainly can be well designed.
>> and some aren't.

>>> again, what is the tire width? compare like with like.

>> one might argue that designers include tire considerations when
>> designing suspensions so comparing like with like is to keep OEM
>> sizes, not forcing a single size onto the cars.
>>
>>> camry has a
>>> wider stock tire width than accord. drives great in a straight line and
>>> on moderate curves. but despite the compensation of the wider tire, it
>>> can't hang with the accord in the twisties.

>> camry?
>> who picked that as the standard bearer for strut suspension design?
>>
>> what else ya got?

> buy a book and read it. right now, you're just trolling.

I just finished "Sandworms of Dune" and they didn't address front
suspension at all???
Old January 19th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tony Harding wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> ACAR wrote:
>>>
>>> the link at Edmunds is to a 3-lap race at a road course in Japan.
>>> some drifting by the S2000, not entirely intentional
>>> try it, you'll rice it.
>>> [there's more to the story as there were other "heats" taken by a
>>> lightly modified S2000]
>>>
>>> - there's limited tire adhesion, so the
>>>
>>> I'm not disputing the theoretical superiority of double A-arm
>>> suspensions for the pavement. (As you know, part of the beauty of this
>>> design is the flexibility to engineer in (or out) the handling/
>>> response desired.)
>>> I'm disputing the blanket assertion that all double A-arm suspensions
>>> are better than all MacPherson struts suspensions.

>> unless there's a fundamental oversight by the designer, they are
>> though. macpherson simply cannot get around the geometry problems
>> that wishbones can.
>>

>>> The last Accord we
>>> bought is a competent handling car but nothing more.

>> again, what is the tire width? compare like with like. camry has a
>> wider stock tire width than accord. drives great in a straight line
>> and on moderate curves. but despite the compensation of the wider
>> tire, it can't hang with the accord in the twisties.

> And that's all due to the struts? I doubt it.

i'm sorry, is this a matter of faith? does faith leave room for doubt?
Old January 19th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tony Harding wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> ACAR wrote:

>>> a double A-arm suspension can't be crappy?
>>> really?

>>> double A-arm suspensions certainly can be well designed.
>>> and some aren't.

>>> one might argue that designers include tire considerations when
>>> designing suspensions so comparing like with like is to keep OEM
>>> sizes, not forcing a single size onto the cars.

>>> camry?
>>> who picked that as the standard bearer for strut suspension design?
>>>
>>> what else ya got?

>> buy a book and read it. right now, you're just trolling.

> I just finished "Sandworms of Dune" and they didn't address front
> suspension at all???

i think you and acar should keep rubbing the baby oil on each other's
pistons - you're evidently very happy doing that together.
Old January 19th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

jim beam wrote:

<snip>

>>> buy a book and read it. right now, you're just trolling.

>> I just finished "Sandworms of Dune" and they didn't address front
>> suspension at all???

> i think you and acar should keep rubbing the baby oil on each other's
> pistons - you're evidently very happy doing that together.

Um, not my thing, but thanks anyway for the idea.
Old January 20th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Polfus wrote:

> "Tony Harding" > wrote
>
>> jim beam wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> i think you and acar should keep rubbing the baby oil on each other's
>>> pistons - you're evidently very happy doing that together.

>> Um, not my thing, but thanks anyway for the idea.

> I have left over baby oil and can't get a whole jug of it on my
> "piston"...is this a design flaw?

LOL - great post on which to end the thread.