Q: brake caliper don't release

Old April 3rd 04, 07:47 PM
Jerry

Default Q: brake caliper don't release

My car: 94' CHEVROLET LUMINA APV MINI VAN
The problem: passenger side front brake caliper just don't release always
sticking in hot weather.
Driver side brake no problem and cold weather no problem. also I already
change 3 calipers still have the same problem. The weather going to warm,
I'm anxious to fix this problem.
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Thanks anyway.
Jerry

Old April 4th 04, 06:24 AM
Refinish King

It is most likely the rubber hose:

The hises have a tendancy to collapse on the inside, and hold risiduak
pressure on the caliper. A quick test:

Release the bleeder valve to see if there is pressure in the caliper, or if
the fluid just streams out.

After that, allpy the brakes, make sure the caliper sticks again, losen the
flarenut on the pipe that attaches to the rubber hose if you found pressure
at the bleeder. If no pressure at the flare nut, or very little, the hose is
your culprit.

Refinish King

om...

Old April 4th 04, 08:23 AM
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:47:35 GMT, "Jerry" >
ran around screaming and yelling:

>My car: 94' CHEVROLET LUMINA APV MINI VAN
>The problem: passenger side front brake caliper just don't release always
>sticking in hot weather.
>Driver side brake no problem and cold weather no problem. also I already
>change 3 calipers still have the same problem. The weather going to warm,
>I'm anxious to fix this problem.
>Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
>Thanks anyway.
>Jerry

if changing the caliper did not work(after the first one really) you
need to suspect the flexible brake hose....they deteriorate from the
inside out...once they begin to deteriorate they separate inside and
in effect become a "checkvalve"(one-way valve) internally...they will
let pressure in, but not out(or slowly to let it out)....you can test
this by opening the connection on the master cylinder side of the
hose(when the caliper is "sticking")...if you have no pressure release
there, open the bleeder on the caliper...if you have pressure here the
hose is bad....if you replace one, replace the other side too....any
outer signs that it is deteriorated such as dry rot and cracks, then
replace...
JT
Old April 4th 04, 08:24 AM
Joey Tribiani

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:24:44 -0500, "Refinish King"
> ran around screaming and
yelling:

>It is most likely the rubber hose:
>
>The hises have a tendancy to collapse on the inside, and hold risiduak
>pressure on the caliper. A quick test:
>
>Release the bleeder valve to see if there is pressure in the caliper, or if
>the fluid just streams out.
>
>After that, allpy the brakes, make sure the caliper sticks again, losen the
>flarenut on the pipe that attaches to the rubber hose if you found pressure
>at the bleeder. If no pressure at the flare nut, or very little, the hose is
>your culprit.

isn't this interesting....guess you are not as stupid as you sounded
earlier...
JT
Old April 4th 04, 03:49 PM
Mike Romain

That could be a bad flex hose to the front wheel. They can come apart
inside and the inside lining can hold the pressure on.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's