Refreshed 7

Old March 13th 05, 01:15 AM
Daniel Arrepas

"Michael Low" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Well, the tactile feedback and tactile response of BMWs have been
> steadily declining.

I don't see that, even if the magazine writers claim it. The issue is that
the disparity between BMW and other makes has closed significantly. So apart
from Active Steering models, I think, at least in the case of the 5 and 7,
the tactile response remains (I haven't driven a Z4 enough to comment, and
of course have no experience with the 1 and new 3). And it continues to
remain to a degree greater than what other makes can manage, even if they
have moved closer.

Remember, you are talking to someone who just doesn't have a tremendous
amount of respect for what most magazine writers have to say. They live with
a car for a few days and then pronounce, with great sanctimony, what the car
is and what it isn't. And these days, that simply isn't enough time in any
car, let alone cars of the level we are speaking about.

> BMW is losing focus.

I agree with much of what you said before this last comment, but you can, in
most cases, buy a manual, you can disable the driver nannies, and no one
says you have to buy Active Steering. If you don't like it, don't get the
Sport package. It's not as distinct from the standard suspensions with the
new models anymore, because they have become so much better. The new chassis
are superb.

And I don't think they are losing or have lost focus, though I agree the
have expanded their focus. But you still can buy what today would be
considered a BMW strippy. You just have to order it that way.

> I agree the safety devices add weight but weight is actually good for a
> plush ride which is important if you have to spend hours in a car.
> Small light cars are particularly tiresome on long drives.

But you see, the more you weight a car, the more difficult it becomes to
have good tactile replies from the contact patch and suspension, because the
more weight, the more need for dislocated connections rather than the direct
connections BMW has been famous for, for a long time. If there is anything
that concerns me about BMW, it is the ability to grow weight in coming
years, yet still offer tactile response of a lightweight go kart. At some
point it becomes almost impossible, unless the ride itself become brittle,
rather than compliant. They have managed so far, but I think they are
walking a razor's edge on this issue. I think Active Steering is a response
to this particular quandary.

> I also haven't liked every BMW model in the past but nowadays it
> appears every new BMW model is a disappointment.

Well, that's personal opinion and valid in that context. Myself, I am just
about matched in what I like and don't like as compared to the last
generation of cars. I continue to like the 5 and 6, not the 7 and Z4, and
from the pics I have seen of the 3 I like it more than I ever liked the E46.

> I think "staid" is legitimate but "ugly and messy" are not "staid".

I don't find anything ugly about the 5 or 6 interiors. They do embody that
Germanic staid ambiance, which I myself like. I don't find anything "messy"
about the interiors (they are far cleaner that the previous cars) and of
course I cannot argue with what is ugly to you. That is a matter of personal
perspective again.

> Ugly and messy are just ugly and just messy.

Ugly is another personal matter, but there is nothing "messy" about the E60
interior layout to me. It is decidedly better thoughtout than the E39. I
think the door handles are located wrong and I think a missing gauge is
unforgivable, but otherwise it's a pretty good delivery of typical BMW
interior blandness. Which as I said before, I like in a car.

> By refined, I mean the maker is able to smooth out all the rough edges
> in a driving experience - and that includes the aesthetics. It doesn't
> have to mean plush but it can't be jarring and cheap. Recent BMW
> designs all feature jarring and cheap. If they weren't then we
> wouldn't still be talking about them after how many years???

Other than the comment about "jarring", on this point I agree, and it is
refreshing to see someone who complains about recent designs also
recognizing BMW has been poor on these points for about 3 generations of
cars. These problems and deficiencies did not originate with the E60 and
E65. By now they are almost historical failures of execution.

On the other hand the option is Audi interior goodness (at least for you)
with Audi deficient ride and capabilities. You see, no one yet has put all
these things together and as that is the case, I still prefer BMW's superior
drive to Audi/Mercs superior interior execution.

Call me goofy, but the truth is I have never bought a BMW because I loved
the interior execution. For as long as I have been driving them, I could
always find other cars better in that regard. I know why I buy them, and to
date they have not failed to provide those pleasures in greater degrees than
the competition. And since the competition targets them, and has indeed
become better all the time, BMW has apparently worked well to stay ahead of
the chasing pack. For that I am thankful.

Old March 13th 05, 07:42 PM
Jens Hadel

Hello Fans,

i´ve photographed some new BMW 750 Li here in Germany before shipping in
the USA...

Here are the Pics:

German: http://www.hadel.net/autos/html/d_pk..._facelift.html

Online translated english: