'91 E34 M5 with rebuilt engine/tranny - Good idea?

Old April 23rd 06, 07:42 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default '91 E34 M5 with rebuilt engine/tranny - Good idea?

The engine was rebuilt after 85,000k miles by Griffin Imports in
Georgia ( www.griffinimport.com ). 2 Year or 200k mile warranty on the
engine. The engine and tranny currently have 4,200k mi.

In addition to the rebuilds, these upgrades were done recently.

Completely rebuilt transmission by shop in LA.
New fuel injectors
New Fuel Pump
New Water Pump and hoses
New thermostat
New air flow meter Bosch
New air hose
New vacoom valve
New coils
New spark Plugs
New ignition wiring
New tensioner
New headlights
New clutch
New front and rear brake pads
18" Hamman black wheels
BBTriflo exhaust
Shortshifter

Total spent on the car was $16,020 and he has all the receipts. If all
of this preventative maintanence has already been done and the car
checks out on a detailed inspection should it be good to go for many
miles? How many before servicing? What in particular should be a
concern at what mileage?

I want the car... I just don't want to have to pour money into it
within 30k miles. If the inspection checks out should it be solid for
awhile?

Old April 23rd 06, 11:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 23:42:32 -0700, seanc04 wrote:

> The engine was rebuilt after 85,000k miles by Griffin Imports in
> Georgia ( www.griffinimport.com ). 2 Year or 200k mile warranty on the
> engine. The engine and tranny currently have 4,200k mi.
>
> In addition to the rebuilds, these upgrades were done recently.
>
> Completely rebuilt transmission by shop in LA.
> New fuel injectors
> New Fuel Pump
> New Water Pump and hoses
> New thermostat
> New air flow meter Bosch
> New air hose
> New vacoom valve
> New coils
> New spark Plugs
> New ignition wiring
> New tensioner
> New headlights
> New clutch
> New front and rear brake pads
> 18" Hamman black wheels
> BBTriflo exhaust
> Shortshifter
>
> Total spent on the car was $16,020 and he has all the receipts. If all
> of this preventative maintanence has already been done and the car
> checks out on a detailed inspection should it be good to go for many
> miles? How many before servicing? What in particular should be a
> concern at what mileage?
>
> I want the car... I just don't want to have to pour money into it
> within 30k miles. If the inspection checks out should it be solid for
> awhile?

It's under warranty with the engine, which is better than most of that
year. Do a used car inspection at an independent BMW shop and if it
checks out go for it. A full inspection is 150-200 as I recall. Looks
like a well taken car of car.

Old April 23rd 06, 12:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

wrote:
> The engine was rebuilt after 85,000k miles by Griffin Imports in
> Georgia (
www.griffinimport.com ). 2 Year or 200k mile warranty on the
> engine. The engine and tranny currently have 4,200k mi.
>
> In addition to the rebuilds, these upgrades were done recently.
>
> Completely rebuilt transmission by shop in LA.
> New fuel injectors
> New Fuel Pump
> New Water Pump and hoses
> New thermostat
> New air flow meter Bosch
> New air hose
> New vacoom valve
> New coils
> New spark Plugs
> New ignition wiring
> New tensioner
> New headlights
> New clutch
> New front and rear brake pads
> 18" Hamman black wheels
> BBTriflo exhaust
> Shortshifter
>
> Total spent on the car was $16,020 and he has all the receipts. If all
> of this preventative maintanence has already been done and the car
> checks out on a detailed inspection should it be good to go for many
> miles? How many before servicing? What in particular should be a
> concern at what mileage?
>
> I want the car... I just don't want to have to pour money into it
> within 30k miles. If the inspection checks out should it be solid for
> awhile?

a '91 M5 is not a car one buys with frugality or maintenance expenses in
mind. If you truly want the car then buy it with the knowledge you have
an awesome handmade machine that will require ongoing and constant TLC.

It is *not* an automotive applicance...

--
-Fred W
Old April 23rd 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

ditto again, get your chequebook ready for some exercise!

Worth it if you like the M series... very worth it, BUT, it takes a lot of
care and knowledge to keep it up to snuff.