Re-work heads or use fuel additive for leaded SB?

Old June 9th 05, 01:44 AM
lib

Default Re-work heads or use fuel additive for leaded SB?

I have a 1963 w/327 (250 hp?) approx. 96K miles that I'm getting back on
road. What is the current wisdom on dealing with unleaded gas in this motor?
I may have to pull the heads for other work after 20 year sit. Thanx- Lib

Old June 9th 05, 03:25 PM
'Key

"lib" > wrote in message
>I have a 1963 w/327 (250 hp?) approx. 96K miles that I'm
>getting back on road. What is the current wisdom on dealing
>with unleaded gas in this motor? I may have to pull the
>heads for other work after 20 year sit. Thanx- Lib

I would use at least 89 octane.
if you try an additive for cleaning?
try Lucas Fuel Treatment.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/index.sd
a.. A great tune-up in a bottle
b.. Cleans and lubricates the fuel system
c.. Neutralizes low sulfur fuel problems
d.. Increases power and miles per gallon by burning excess
exhaust emissions
e.. Increases the life of pumps and injectors
I have found that Lucas is by far better than the others.

my2˘
--
"Key"

Old June 9th 05, 04:15 PM
RicSeyler

If you pull the heads just have hardened valve seats installed.
Then go through the rest of the head, new valve guides, drop some new
valves in it,
and replace the springs, retainers, locks and use umbrella type seals.
If the rocker studs
are press-in, have screw-in studs installed. Also a new set of stamped
rockers would
make the job complete. Make sure your shop checks the pushrods for
straightness
and deformed ends while you at it.

lib wrote:

>I have a 1963 w/327 (250 hp?) approx. 96K miles that I'm getting back on
>road. What is the current wisdom on dealing with unleaded gas in this motor?
>I may have to pull the heads for other work after 20 year sit. Thanx- Lib

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old June 11th 05, 06:40 AM
Tom in Missouri

There is no real need for the harden seats. There will be extra wear, but
not that much. In 80,000 miles, she will need a valve job instead of
100,000 miles. Realistically, what are the chances of reaching 80,000 miles
on a '63 Corvette these days?

Also, if the seat is faulty, it can drop and create a lot more problems than
the extra wear from the standard seats. Figure that in 80,000 miles, she
has to do a $200 valve job vs. the potential for an entire engine rebuild by
trying to go 100,000+ miles.

. ..