2000 Mercury Cougar

Old March 19th 05, 05:37 PM
nat

Default 2000 Mercury Cougar

It's me again! I have one more question. Since I have purchased this
car the little light that has a picture of a wrench is always on and
never goes off. What does this mean? Thank you!
Nat

Old March 19th 05, 09:15 PM
Lemon Joke Kid

>It's me again! I have one more question. Since I have purchased this
>car the little light that has a picture of a wrench is always on and
>never goes off. What does this mean? Thank you!
>Nat

It's a service reminder. It comes on automatically every 4,200 or
4,800 miles. Don't remember exactly. Resetting requires holding a
couple buttons for a few seconds. It's in the owners manual. Sorry I
don't remember the details. I got rid of my Cougar a couple years
ago.

If you have a sunroof, and it hasn't been fixed yet, it WILL break
($1,200 to fix). Also watch for bad fuel pumps (replace with a
Walbro, not Ford), bad alternators, fuel filler neck leaks, and some
potential brake problems.
Old March 19th 05, 11:48 PM
Kruse

Lemon Joke Kid wrote:
Also watch for bad fuel pumps (replace with a
> Walbro, not Ford), bad alternators, fuel filler neck leaks, and some
> potential brake problems.

Uh....regarding the fuel pump, maybe yes and maybe no. Ford had a
recall on SOME late Cougar fuel pumps. So if your model was under the
recall and you took it elsewhere to have it fixed, you threw away about
$250-$300. Ford will fix this for free. Also, when you drop the tank to
take out the fuel pump, Ford gives you a new and improved (allegedly)
filler neck connection so it won't leak.
BTW, don't ever try to replace this fuel pump without a car hoist and
another man to help you. It is a pain-in-the-butt to replace.

2000 Mercury Cougar nat Technology 0 March 19th 05 05:35 PM
Misfires above 2000 RPM. JimS Jeep 5 March 14th 05 07:08 PM
95 Mercury Cougar V8 - Replace valve guides? Libby Chantel Technology 8 March 4th 05 07:14 PM
mercury cougar starter [email protected] Technology 2 January 25th 05 03:52 AM
Follow-up: 2000 Contour miss and Check Engine Light Craig Williams Technology 1 December 31st 04 07:00 AM