bmw obd2 compatability

Old November 7th 04, 12:36 AM
Jon

Default bmw obd2 compatability

Hi, World.

I'm looking for a tool to read the OBD2 diagnostic signals on my 98
323is. I know about Peake and ElmScan, and would buy a Peake and be
done with it except it seems a shame to buy a tool which would only
read the circular BMW plug format when, for the same money, I could
get a tool that would read any OBD2 port.

Except, will it?

Will an OBD2 reader connected to this BMW read codes and clear error
codes? Or will the BMW only respond to the circular (ie, Peake) port?

Presupposing the OBD2 port will work, any suggestions as to which of
the many OBD2 readers are best?

Thanks!
Old November 7th 04, 01:05 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Jon" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, World.
>
> I'm looking for a tool to read the OBD2 diagnostic signals on my 98
> 323is. I know about Peake and ElmScan, and would buy a Peake and be
> done with it except it seems a shame to buy a tool which would only
> read the circular BMW plug format when, for the same money, I could
> get a tool that would read any OBD2 port.
>
> Except, will it?
>
> Will an OBD2 reader connected to this BMW read codes and clear error
> codes? Or will the BMW only respond to the circular (ie, Peake) port?
>
> Presupposing the OBD2 port will work, any suggestions as to which of
> the many OBD2 readers are best?
>
> Thanks!

I have the Peake and Auterra for my Palm Pilot. The Auterra software gives
sensor readings as well as fault codes, but can not reset the service
interval lights. It also seems to miss some of the codes that the Peake
picks up on. I'm not sure why this is. The Auterra support people seem to
think there may be some proprietary BMW codes that they can't read.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the Peake as it seems to be
more accurate in retrieving codes and can reset both the check engine light
and service interval lights.

Kyle.