SB question

Old December 24th 04, 08:05 PM
jjs

Default SB question

Here's a quote from someone on a different list. Is it correct? "Super
Beetles were unibody cars with no separate pan."

Old December 24th 04, 08:36 PM
ThaDriver

>Here's a quote from someone on a different list. Is it correct? "Super
Beetles were unibody cars with no separate pan."
********
COMPLETELY WRONG.
They had pans just different front suspensions (struts).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old December 24th 04, 09:27 PM
Speedy Jim

Chris Perdue wrote:

>>From: "jjs

>>Here's a quote from someone on a different list. Is it correct? "Super
>>Beetles were unibody cars with no separate pan."
>>

> only in that guys world...in the real world the supers had a separate chassis
> and body, just as the "standard" beetle does....
> -------------------
> Chris Perdue

Maybe what the guy meant was that the front suspension is an integral
part of the body structure; that's certainly true, unlike the Beetle.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old December 25th 04, 03:02 AM
Tim Rogers

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message

> Maybe what the guy meant was that the front suspension is an integral
> part of the body structure; that's certainly true, unlike the Beetle.

.................So how do you lift off the body? The tops of the struts
could be unfastened I'd guess. What else?

Old December 25th 04, 03:20 AM
Speedy Jim

Tim Rogers wrote:

> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>
>> Maybe what the guy meant was that the front suspension is an integral
>> part of the body structure; that's certainly true, unlike the Beetle.
>>

> ................So how do you lift off the body? The tops of the struts
> could be unfastened I'd guess. What else?

Yep, struts come off. And the track control arms. And parts of the
steering linkage (several ways to do this).
Plus a couple of hidden bolts in the trunk area.

Those are the major differences from the Beetle; it's messy and
leaves a lot of stuff just "hanging".

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old December 25th 04, 03:47 AM
jjs

The guy is sticking by his 'unibody' story. Says he saw a SB on its side
in a wrecking yard and it was all one piece. He's a real know-it-all.

Old December 25th 04, 04:42 AM
Tim Rogers

"jjs" > wrote in message

> The guy is sticking by his 'unibody' story. Says he saw a SB on its

side
> in a wrecking yard and it was all one piece. He's a real know-it-all.

...............Get him to log on to RAMVA so we can have some fun ripping
into him.

:-)

Old December 25th 04, 07:22 AM
Scott H

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message ...
> Tim Rogers wrote:
>
> > "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> >
> >> Maybe what the guy meant was that the front suspension is an integral
> >> part of the body structure; that's certainly true, unlike the Beetle.
> >>

> > ................So how do you lift off the body? The tops of the struts
> > could be unfastened I'd guess. What else?
> >

> Yep, struts come off. And the track control arms. And parts of the
> steering linkage (several ways to do this).
> Plus a couple of hidden bolts in the trunk area.
>
> Those are the major differences from the Beetle; it's messy and
> leaves a lot of stuff just "hanging".
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Just curious, Jim ... since they attach to the pan, why do the track control arms need to come off?

Early Super (1302) frame head:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...frame_head.jpg

chassis:
http://1302super.com/chassis.jpg

--
Scott

Old December 25th 04, 03:49 PM
Speedy Jim

Scott H wrote:
> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Tim Rogers wrote:

>>>................So how do you lift off the body? The tops of the struts
>>>could be unfastened I'd guess. What else?
>>>

>>Yep, struts come off. And the track control arms. And parts of the
>>steering linkage (several ways to do this).
>>Plus a couple of hidden bolts in the trunk area.
>>
>>Those are the major differences from the Beetle; it's messy and
>>leaves a lot of stuff just "hanging".
>>
>>Speedy Jim
>>http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> Just curious, Jim ... since they attach to the pan, why do the track control arms need to come off?
>
> Early Super (1302) frame head:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...frame_head.jpg
>
> chassis:
> http://1302super.com/chassis.jpg
>
> --
> Scott

You're right. If the struts are unbolted at the top, the whole
suspension can hang off the pan.

Jim