2002 GT Auto..... advice.

Old December 2nd 04, 05:11 AM
Brian

Default 2002 GT Auto..... advice.

I'm used to my 69 Camaro small block, but just aquired a 2002 GT automatic.
I wanted the 5 speed but couldn't pass this one up. I'm just curious about
some real world things you guys have done to your cars. Exhaust, throttle
bodies, etc.. and how they have improved your 1/4 mile times. I certainly
won't be swapping heads or anything of that nature anytime soon, as it's a
daily driver for the woman. Also, any tips on shift kits/reprogrammers?
Worth the trouble?

Well that's all for now, just curious about things that have worked for you.
Thanks in advance.

Brian

Old December 2nd 04, 09:30 AM

Gears. Throw some 4.30 gears in that puppy. F*ck gas mileage . If mileage
is a real concern... go with 4.10's.. or if it's a HUGE concern, 3.73's...
and if it's even more of a concern... sell the car.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old December 2nd 04, 09:32 AM

Also... some stainless steel 40 series delta flows (by Flowmaster) will make
it sound great & since they're stainless steel I'd imagine they'll last a
lot longer than the normal version! Btw... I said such lower gears b/c you
have an automatic. If you had a manual.. I'd of started with 4.10's then
said 3.73's.

Also, build that suspension! Brake upgrades are a plus..

-Mike

Old December 2nd 04, 12:07 PM
MadDAWG

"Brian" > wrote in message ...
> I'm used to my 69 Camaro small block, but just aquired a 2002 GT

automatic.
> I wanted the 5 speed but couldn't pass this one up. I'm just curious about
> some real world things you guys have done to your cars. Exhaust, throttle
> bodies, etc.. and how they have improved your 1/4 mile times. I certainly
> won't be swapping heads or anything of that nature anytime soon, as it's a
> daily driver for the woman. Also, any tips on shift kits/reprogrammers?
> Worth the trouble?
>
> Well that's all for now, just curious about things that have worked for

you.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Brian

If it was mine I'd put in a 3000 PI converter to get the good hit off the
line without the downsides of gears on a daily driver.

MadDAWG

Old December 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
B2723m

My 2K GT/auto has has 3.73s, Flowmaster cat-back and 'F' springs since day 2.
At the 1/4 mile I hit the rev-limiter in the traps at times and it still knocks
down 20+ MPG. It has 107+K on it now and I prefer it to the four F-bodies I've
had in the past.

bradtx
Old December 2nd 04, 05:47 PM

I bet it sounds killer. Got any sound clips or pictures?

-Mike

Old December 2nd 04, 11:13 PM
Brian

"B2723m" > wrote in message
> My 2K GT/auto has has 3.73s, Flowmaster cat-back and 'F' springs since day
> 2.
> At the 1/4 mile I hit the rev-limiter in the traps at times and it still
> knocks
> down 20+ MPG. It has 107+K on it now and I prefer it to the four F-bodies
> I've
> had in the past.
>
> bradtx

What times are you running? Just curious. Do you shift or leave it in drive?

Old December 5th 04, 04:06 PM
B2723m

Mike, I don't have any sound bites, but it sounds a lot meaner than it is.

Brian, The best time/speed was a 14.3 at about 98-99 MPH, if I remember
correctly. The rev-limiter kicks in if I get too much wheel spin in first, or
any spin in second. I haven't run it with the Nitto 555s, but they don't seem
quite as sticky as the G-Techs. While there are overdrive upshift programs
available now, there weren't when I regeared (which required a chip to correct
the speedo) and I haven't bothered to get one.

One thing that'll be interesting...after the '89 is all sorted out the '00 is
getting a 9lb KB kit. Should be interesting to see how well this engine does
after so many miles and smiles.

bradtx