I have an 87 Mustang GT 5.0..

Old September 21st 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
funnynamehere

Default I have an 87 Mustang GT 5.0..

And just the other day I was driving it and it shut down but the radio
and everything else were still going..I went to start it but it just
kept trying to start even after I gave it gas, etc. I checked the spark
plugs and I am getting no spark. When I checked it, I got a spark but
only once. Now I am getting nothing...Anyhow, someone told me it is the
ignition module but I don't want to spend the $100 plus on it if it
isn't it. Anyonw else have any suggestions on what this could be?

P.s. I have had alot of electrical shorts in this but some people tell
me that it's common in this vehicle.

Old September 21st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Chow S

"funnynamehere" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> And just the other day I was driving it and it shut down but the radio
> and everything else were still going..I went to start it but it just
> kept trying to start even after I gave it gas, etc. I checked the spark
> plugs and I am getting no spark. When I checked it, I got a spark but
> only once. Now I am getting nothing...Anyhow, someone told me it is the
> ignition module but I don't want to spend the $100 plus on it if it
> isn't it. Anyonw else have any suggestions on what this could be?
>
> P.s. I have had alot of electrical shorts in this but some people tell
> me that it's common in this vehicle.

never heard shorts were common.

What is your battery voltage ?
when is the last time you changed the rotor, and distributor cap (tune up)?

87 5.0
93 5.0 8#

Old September 21st 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
funnynamehere

Chow S wrote:
> "funnynamehere" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > And just the other day I was driving it and it shut down but the radio
> > and everything else were still going..I went to start it but it just
> > kept trying to start even after I gave it gas, etc. I checked the spark
> > plugs and I am getting no spark. When I checked it, I got a spark but
> > only once. Now I am getting nothing...Anyhow, someone told me it is the
> > ignition module but I don't want to spend the $100 plus on it if it
> > isn't it. Anyonw else have any suggestions on what this could be?
> >
> > P.s. I have had alot of electrical shorts in this but some people tell
> > me that it's common in this vehicle.
> >

> never heard shorts were common.
>
> What is your battery voltage ?
> when is the last time you changed the rotor, and distributor cap (tune up)?
>
> 87 5.0
> 93 5.0 8#

I actually just bought the car about 2 weeks ago and the battery came
out of a 91 Ford Taurus Stationwagon from what I was told. But yeah, I
have no idea about the others...I heard there is a way to test this by
the two wires running to the distibutor.

This thing has bad problems.

Old September 22nd 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Sampan Touk

"funnynamehere" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Chow S wrote:
>> "funnynamehere" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > And just the other day I was driving it and it shut down but the radio
>> > and everything else were still going..I went to start it but it just
>> > kept trying to start even after I gave it gas, etc. I checked the spark
>> > plugs and I am getting no spark. When I checked it, I got a spark but
>> > only once. Now I am getting nothing...Anyhow, someone told me it is the
>> > ignition module but I don't want to spend the $100 plus on it if it
>> > isn't it. Anyonw else have any suggestions on what this could be?
>> >
>> > P.s. I have had alot of electrical shorts in this but some people tell
>> > me that it's common in this vehicle.
>> >

>> never heard shorts were common.
>>
>> What is your battery voltage ?
>> when is the last time you changed the rotor, and distributor cap (tune
>> up)?
>>
>> 87 5.0
>> 93 5.0 8#

> I actually just bought the car about 2 weeks ago and the battery came
> out of a 91 Ford Taurus Stationwagon from what I was told. But yeah, I
> have no idea about the others...I heard there is a way to test this by
> the two wires running to the distibutor.
>
> This thing has bad problems.

the 5.0 is a solid engine design, should be easily fixable.
spark is hard to see in the daytime, if you had a timing light, you could
see it better.
typically when getting a used 5.0, I change out the fuel filter, rotor,
rotor cap, sparkplugs, check the battery (usually have to replace it), and
check the timing, and check compression, check for loose hoses, or decreped
hoses, your 87 should have replaced most of the small hoses by now(vacuume
leaks).
If you have the time and tools, pull the spark plugs and "read" them, they
should be whiteish, very black and oily could be bad news. (google for it)
Fast car when you get done, and very cheap too.

I would do a compression check on it first, read the plugs, before sinking a
lot of money into it.
you could have a burnt valve etc.
Car doesn't have to run to do these things.

Old September 22nd 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

"funnynamehere" > wrote:

> And just the other day I was driving it and it shut down but the radio
> and everything else were still going..I went to start it but it just
> kept trying to start even after I gave it gas, etc. I checked the spark
> plugs and I am getting no spark. When I checked it, I got a spark but
> only once. Now I am getting nothing...Anyhow, someone told me it is the
> ignition module but I don't want to spend the $100 plus on it if it
> isn't it. Anyonw else have any suggestions on what this could be?
>
> P.s. I have had alot of electrical shorts in this but some people tell
> me that it's common in this vehicle.

Does the tach bounce when you crank it?

If the TFI module is bad, it wont bounce while cranking but will bounce
once as you switch key on.
other possibility is the distributor pickup.

And they arent 100 bucks if you can change it yourself. About 45 bucks
including the special wrench - sold separately.

Make sure to put clean heat sink grease on it, scrape the old off.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old September 23rd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
scott and barb

Yep, sounds like TFI module.Easy fix.....

Old October 1st 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

The Ford "cease fire" ignition module is famous for failing without warning
on your vintage Mustang. Just about any autoparts store can provide you
with a more reliable replacement for a lot less than a C note. Don't forget
to buy the funny little installation tool, it saves a lot of aggravation.

Old October 1st 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Gator

IronRod wrote:
> The Ford "cease fire" ignition module is famous for failing without warning
> on your vintage Mustang. Just about any autoparts store can provide you
> with a more reliable replacement for a lot less than a C note. Don't forget
> to buy the funny little installation tool, it saves a lot of aggravation.
>

> "funnynamehere" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>And just the other day I was driving it and it shut down but the radio
>>and everything else were still going..I went to start it but it just
>>kept trying to start even after I gave it gas, etc. I checked the spark
>>plugs and I am getting no spark. When I checked it, I got a spark but
>>only once. Now I am getting nothing...Anyhow, someone told me it is the
>>ignition module but I don't want to spend the $100 plus on it if it
>>isn't it. Anyonw else have any suggestions on what this could be?
>>
>>P.s. I have had alot of electrical shorts in this but some people tell
>>me that it's common in this vehicle.

"vintage"?
Old October 2nd 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Rick[_4_]

Take the module into any Autozone and they will test it for free!.com>