How safe are these classic VWs...?

Old March 28th 05, 07:19 PM
Jonny the 8-Tracker

Default How safe are these classic VWs...?

Microbus drivers seem to run the risk of losing their knees in a
front-on collision...is this true, how severe is it usually, and are
there ways to avoid such problems to a point (such as reinforcing the
car structure between the driver and the front of the car)? I'm looking
into getting a Microbus (especially one of the 21-window types), but
I'm concerned about the safety. (And what's the average Microbus fuel
economy for something like a '65 deluxe 'Bus I've seen on eBay, at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m&category=152...
?) No use in having one if I have no feet to push the gas pedal -- and
no gas to respond with!

As an alternative, how safe are the classic VW Beetles? (A convertible
wouldn' be a bad compromise if I wanted to do some cruising...) I've
looked on Google for hours, but haven't found any good, informative
sites, so I naturally came to the newsgroups for help on either.

Can anybody help me with these ones?

Old March 28th 05, 08:09 PM
Randall Brink

They aren't the safest cars available.

However, your driving style, vigilence and caution become highly sensitized
when driving them. You become a better, more defensive driver.

You know you don't have 7,000 lb. of SUV surrounding you. Safety is often as
you make it.

Reinforcing the front or other hacks, won't turn a Bus or Beetle into a
Mercedes-Benz.
--
Randall Brink
Author

1970 VW Type 1
1975 Mercedes-Benz W115 240D
oups.com...

Old March 28th 05, 08:48 PM

Jonny the 8-Tracker wrote:
> Microbus drivers seem to run the risk of losing their knees in a
> front-on collision...

It sounds like you've been reading Click & Klack. Over the years these
guys have passed out tons of bum dope about air-cooled Volkswagens.
For example, next time you're near a VW Transporter measure the height
of the front seat relative to the roadway. You'll see that the
occupants knees are well above the point of any possible impact...
unless you plow into brick wall.

Statistically, with regard to collision injuries, the VW Transporter
did better than most other vehicles in that it had fewer, and less
serious, injuries. (Of that era. The number of Type II VW's still on
the road is now too small to have any impact on such statistics.)

There are mailing lists and newsgroups devoted to the Type II, early
and late. You will get a better idea of the reality of owning/driving
such a vehicle from them.

Old March 28th 05, 08:49 PM
Howard Rose

On 28 Mar 2005 10:19:43 -0800, "Jonny the 8-Tracker"
> wrote:

>As an alternative, how safe are the classic VW Beetles? (A convertible
>wouldn' be a bad compromise if I wanted to do some cruising...) I've
>looked on Google for hours, but haven't found any good, informative
>sites, so I naturally came to the newsgroups for help on either.

If you see my other post, you can see the result :-)

Actually, I was pretty impressed with how my '66 held in the impact.
I guess if I was in a modern car the damage would have been far
greater.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old March 28th 05, 09:17 PM
Jan Andersson

Randall Brink wrote:

> They aren't the safest cars available.
>
> However, your driving style, vigilence and caution become highly sensitized
> when driving them. You become a better, more defensive driver.
>
> You know you don't have 7,000 lb. of SUV surrounding you. Safety is often as
> you make it.
>
> Reinforcing the front or other hacks, won't turn a Bus or Beetle into a
> Mercedes-Benz.

Thank God for that

Jan
Old March 28th 05, 09:45 PM
bill may

been dring them since august 1965 still own 2-1967 beetles and 1-1967
bus 13 window. they move with impact. heavier cars resist moving.sell
yours if you dont feel safe-i will keep driving mine 365 days a year
its all i own.

Old March 28th 05, 10:01 PM
Jan Andersson

Tom Nakashima wrote:

> > Randall Brink wrote:
> > >
> > > Reinforcing the front or other hacks, won't turn a Bus or Beetle into a
> > > Mercedes-Benz.

> The worst place to park a VW Beetle is right next to the shopping cart
> return rack.
> Somehow people don't want to walk the extra five feet and think carts will
> find their way into the rack if they give it a shove, and the bad things is,
> VW fenders are at the right height to catch these carts, amount other
> things.
>
> How safe are these classic VW's? I told my wife, if anything happens to me,
> burry me in my Beetle.
> -tom

Yea.. that gives this discussion a whole new angle.

Damage MY beetle (ok, my wife's beetle), and you will get seriously
injured.

Yea, they are unsafe that way.

Jan
Old March 28th 05, 10:06 PM
Howard Rose

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:09:32 -0800, "Randall Brink"
> wrote:

>Reinforcing the front or other hacks, won't turn a Bus or Beetle into a
>Mercedes-Benz.

Compare them with a Mercedes Benz of the same year as the VW in
question and I am sure you will find them similar.

Old March 28th 05, 10:09 PM
Jan Andersson

Howard Rose wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:09:32 -0800, "Randall Brink"
> > wrote:
>
> >Reinforcing the front or other hacks, won't turn a Bus or Beetle into a
> >Mercedes-Benz.

> Compare them with a Mercedes Benz of the same year as the VW in
> question and I am sure you will find them similar.

A 2002 *which* model of Mercedes?

Jan