1958 Edsel Ranger

Old November 16th 04, 05:05 AM
Juicer_X

Default 1958 Edsel Ranger

Hello,

I don't know if this is the place to ask but I wanted to know if anyone
knows what a 1958 Edsel Ranger would be worth today. I found one in my local
"Auto Trader". But all the ad said is that it has a rebuilt 400 engine, and
the asking price is $1,500 (CAD). To me this price is too low. I don't want
to travel 4 hours and find out that it's in horrible shape. I have to phone
the seller on saturday. Do you guys think this could be a fixxer upper? Also
how hard would it be to find parts to fix it up? Anyone know?

Thanks

Old November 18th 04, 03:34 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

"Juicer_X" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this is the place to ask but I wanted to know if anyone
> knows what a 1958 Edsel Ranger would be worth today.

> the asking price is $1,500 (CAD). To me this price is too low. I don't want
> to travel 4 hours and find out that it's in horrible shape.

This might give you some calibration and answer some of your other
questions:
http://www.edsel.com/pages/for_sale.htm

> it has a rebuilt 400 engine

The abovementioned page says that the smaller of their two engines was
designated E-400, after its foot-pounding torque. Displacement in
cubic inches was 361.

This of course assumes that it's the original Edsel engine, not the
much later M-Block (which if properly built wouldn't be a bad choice
for such a car if you were going to do a swap):
http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/index.html

These generations of engines look a lot different, and someone
swapping in a 70s-80s engine would probably bring the C-6 tranny with
it, so you should be able to tell.

If it is a 400 M-block, you then get the further exercise of figuring
out whether they did a really sweet high-caliber swap or just made a
backyard Frankenstein.

Best of luck,
--Joe