fan problem

Old October 22nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
chicago

Default fan problem

Well the fan in my 91 Accord for the ventilation (heater, AC) stopped
working (it been a little noisy lately, now its just dead). Is it expensive
to get fixed? Also, I must say I'm pretty ignorant, I opened the hood and
noticed that the 2 big radiator fans between the engine block and the
radiator were not running, are those thing supposed to be running all the
time or just when the engine get hot? (weather is rather cool these days)
and is it related with the ventilation inside the car?

thanks!

Old October 22nd 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Hwang

chicago wrote:
> Well the fan in my 91 Accord for the ventilation (heater, AC) stopped
> working (it been a little noisy lately, now its just dead). Is it expensive
> to get fixed? Also, I must say I'm pretty ignorant, I opened the hood and
> noticed that the 2 big radiator fans between the engine block and the
> radiator were not running, are those thing supposed to be running all the
> time or just when the engine get hot? (weather is rather cool these days)
> and is it related with the ventilation inside the car?
>
> thanks!

Hi,
Rad cooling fan is controlled by thermostat so some times it runs some
times not. One under dash is for a/c and heating. They are not related.
Under dash fan is squirrle cage type usually. Either brushes are worn
out or bearing is shot. You can try to repair ot replace the whole unit.