Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Old January 25th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Here is my design for a bumper-mounted Jeep Wrangler TJ trailer hitch:

http://www.truetex.com/jeep_trailer_hitch_bracket.htm
Old January 25th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
. ..
> Here is my design for a bumper-mounted Jeep Wrangler TJ trailer hitch:

I would think that welding a 2" receiver hitch receptacle to the bottom of
the angle bracket would give you more flexibility... It would lower the
trailer tongue enough that you probably wouldn't have to worry about your
door hitting it... If your vehicle is lifted, you could use a 2" receiver
with a drop so that the trailer could be towed in a more level attitude...
You would also have the option to use the 2" receiver for a bike rack or
cargo carrier...

Old January 25th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

Grumman-581 writes:

> I would think that welding a 2" receiver hitch receptacle to the
> bottom of the angle bracket would give you more flexibility.

Agreed. I may modify it later like you say, but for now I just wanted the
minimum cost and effort to tow a small boat, improvising a step bumper like
on a pickup truck.

Bumper-mounting a 2-inch receiver strikes me as an awkward combination,
like hanging an oxen yoke on a pony.
Old January 25th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
. ..
> Bumper-mounting a 2-inch receiver strikes me as an awkward combination,
> like hanging an oxen yoke on a pony.

Which group are you posting from so I can drop the crossposting to the
other... I'm in r.a.m.j+w...

The thing is, it gives you a lot more flexibility for other attachments that
you don't have with smaller receivers or just a bumper hitch... It also
gives you the option for a receiver mounted winch that you could move from
the front to the rear (assume that you also did the same thing on the front
bumper)... I've been considering mounting 2 extra 2" receivers on my rear
bumper and making a custom cargo carrier such that it would have three 2"
supports that would slide into the three receivers... That would make for a
'ell of a sturdy cargo carrier...

The bumper mounted 2" receivers that I've seen previously also have a 45"
piece of plate steel welded on both sides of the 2" receiver to the mounting
plate so that it will provide more resistance to twisting... Probably more
of an issue with a cargo carrier than a trailer...

Old January 25th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:16:53 GMT, "Grumman-581"
> wrote:

>"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
>> Here is my design for a bumper-mounted Jeep Wrangler TJ trailer hitch:

>I would think that welding a 2" receiver hitch receptacle to the bottom of
>the angle bracket would give you more flexibility... It would lower the
>trailer tongue enough that you probably wouldn't have to worry about your
>door hitting it... If your vehicle is lifted, you could use a 2" receiver
>with a drop so that the trailer could be towed in a more level attitude...
>You would also have the option to use the 2" receiver for a bike rack or
>cargo carrier...

I agree. Well said.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Old January 25th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice and simple. The thing I am worried about is the strength of the
connection between the bumper and the Jeep itself.
Tomes

Old January 25th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

The bumper on the Wrangler is not not strong enougth for trailer loading
to the 2000 pound towing capacity of the Jeep (assuming you have the
6cyl and 2000 pound rated capacity)

I'm fairly certain that I could grab a 2' pipe wrench and give that
hitch a good flexing without too much trouble.

Old January 25th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

While I'm sure there are some extremely light duty applications where
this would suffice and be more cost effective, a 2" drawbar type hitch
is FAR more versatile. Especially one integrated into a bumper. On that
note, the added 'tail' to the vehicle reduces departure angle. I'd hate
to come down on a rock with that. For those reasons, I'd personally
never consider purchasing this type of hitch. I wish you good luck with
your design, however. Let us know how it works out.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old January 25th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ writes:

> The bumper on the Wrangler is not not strong enougth for trailer loading
> to the 2000 pound towing capacity of the Jeep (assuming you have the
> 6cyl and 2000 pound rated capacity)

I guess you didn't actually read the page, where I say as much.

The point is to get *some* capacity without spending $150 for a real frame
hitch and drawbar.
Old January 25th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think I would trust the stock bumper on a TJ to pull anything.
When I ordered my 2000 TJ with towing package it had a separate tube and
receiver mounted off of the frame rails and not to the bumper itself
as they told me it would not hold up to towing....... it is very thin
channel that is mounted to the cross member mainly and not the frame. I
would be very leery about doing this. Nice design though...

Tom