2008 Kia Optima - Steering Wheel Vibration at speeds over 50mph since

Old October 11th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

Default 2008 Kia Optima - Steering Wheel Vibration at speeds over 50mph since

...I drove over a curb/island a year ago with my Front Left Tire. Tire
was replaced, but car has been diagonosed with a mildly bent spindle
at that corner. About 6 months ago had 4wheel alignment which
smoothed things out a bit except for this vibration.

I recently had my tires rotated and balanced for a long trip I made
the past weekend, but vibration remains. Basically steering wheel
turns side to side very quickly but when both hands are on the wheel
it is less noticeable. Is this vib related to the bend spindle, and
how much trouble - potentially - could I be in?

Thanks,

-ChrisCoaster
Old October 11th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> ..I drove over a curb/island a year ago with my Front Left Tire. Tire
> was replaced, but car has been diagonosed with a mildly bent spindle
> at that corner. About 6 months ago had 4wheel alignment which
> smoothed things out a bit except for this vibration.
>
> I recently had my tires rotated and balanced for a long trip I made
> the past weekend, but vibration remains. Basically steering wheel
> turns side to side very quickly but when both hands are on the wheel
> it is less noticeable. Is this vib related to the bend spindle, and
> how much trouble - potentially - could I be in?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Constant flexing from the bent spindle causes metal fatigue and the
spindle breaks off at high speed.
Front corner digs in and the car flips end over end into a school bus
filled with blind children....

DUH, FIX IT!!!!

--
Steve W.
Old October 11th 11, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 11, 12:12*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
> ChrisCoaster wrote:
> > ..I drove over a curb/island a year ago with my Front Left Tire. *Tire
> > was replaced, but car has been diagonosed with a mildly bent spindle
> > at that corner. *About 6 months ago had 4wheel alignment which
> > smoothed things out a bit except for this vibration.

> > I recently had my tires rotated and balanced for a long trip I made
> > the past weekend, but vibration remains. *Basically steering wheel
> > turns side to side very quickly but when both hands are on the wheel
> > it is less noticeable. *Is this vib related to the bend spindle, and
> > how much trouble - potentially - could I be in?

> > Thanks,

> > -ChrisCoaster

> Constant flexing from the bent spindle causes metal fatigue and the
> spindle breaks off at high speed.
> Front corner digs in and the car flips end over end into a school bus
> filled with blind children....
>
> DUH, FIX IT!!!!
>
> --
> Steve W.

___________________________
I thought the spindle was the stationary part and the hub/wheel
assembly/tire was what rotated around it?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-CC
Old October 11th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/11/2011 09:37 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Oct 11, 12:12�pm, "Steve > wrote:
>> ChrisCoaster wrote:
>>> ..I drove over a curb/island a year ago with my Front Left Tire. �Tire
>>> was replaced, but car has been diagonosed with a mildly bent spindle
>>> at that corner. �About 6 months ago had 4wheel alignment which
>>> smoothed things out a bit except for this vibration.

>>> I recently had my tires rotated and balanced for a long trip I made
>>> the past weekend, but vibration remains. �Basically steering wheel
>>> turns side to side very quickly but when both hands are on the wheel
>>> it is less noticeable. �Is this vib related to the bend spindle, and
>>> how much trouble - potentially - could I be in?

>>> Thanks,

>>> -ChrisCoaster

>> Constant flexing from the bent spindle causes metal fatigue and the
>> spindle breaks off at high speed.
>> Front corner digs in and the car flips end over end into a school bus
>> filled with blind children....
>>
>> DUH, FIX IT!!!!
>>
>> --
>> Steve W.

> ___________________________
> I thought the spindle was the stationary part and the hub/wheel
> assembly/tire was what rotated around it?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> -CC

the kia is fwd, so the spindle rotates inside the bearing. but the
reciprocating mass flexes everything it's attached to and causes
fatigue. do you need to be told the consequences again? get it fixed.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 11th 11, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 11, 12:56*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 09:37 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:

> >> Constant flexing from the bent spindle causes metal fatigue and the
> >> spindle breaks off at high speed.
> >> Front corner digs in and the car flips end over end into a school bus
> >> filled with blind children....

> >> DUH, FIX IT!!!!

> >> --
> >> Steve W.

> > ___________________________
> > I thought the spindle was the stationary part and the hub/wheel
> > assembly/tire was what rotated around it?

> > Correct me if I'm wrong.

> > -CC

> the kia is fwd, so the spindle rotates inside the bearing. *but the
> reciprocating mass flexes everything it's attached to and causes
> fatigue. *do you need to be told the consequences again? *get it fixed.
>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum- Hide quoted text -

___________________
Thanks all! Now that I know this is a "red" and not a "yellow" - as
in, save up until you have enough money to fix it - issue, I will act
accdly, and change the color code back to "green".

-CC
Old October 11th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/11/2011 10:02 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Oct 11, 12:56�pm, jim > wrote:

>>> ___________________________
>>> I thought the spindle was the stationary part and the hub/wheel
>>> assembly/tire was what rotated around it?

>>> Correct me if I'm wrong.

>>> -CC

>> the kia is fwd, so the spindle rotates inside the bearing. �but the
>> reciprocating mass flexes everything it's attached to and causes
>> fatigue. �do you need to be told the consequences again? �get it fixed.
>>
>> --
>> nomina rutrum rutrum- Hide quoted text -

> ___________________
> Thanks all! Now that I know this is a "red" and not a "yellow" - as
> in, save up until you have enough money to fix it - issue, I will act
> accdly, and change the color code back to "green".
>
> -CC

you can often save significant money repairing a kia by getting parts
from a vehicle dismantler. because their depreciation rate is high,
they tend to be written off early by the insurer [repair cost exceeds
vehicle value] so you can get parts in good condition from late model
cars at significant savings. that should help you bring the repair
forwards. and most spindle bends are passenger side, not driver, so
again, this improves your chances of getting what you need.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 11th 11, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 11, 1:39*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 10:02 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:

> >> the kia is fwd, so the spindle rotates inside the bearing. but the
> >> reciprocating mass flexes everything it's attached to and causes
> >> fatigue. do you need to be told the consequences again? get it fixed.

> >> --
> >> nomina rutrum rutrum- Hide quoted text -

> > ___________________
> > Thanks all! *Now that I know this is a "red" and not a "yellow" - as
> > in, save up until you have enough money to fix it - issue, I will act
> > accdly, and change the color code back to "green".

> > -CC

> you can often save significant money repairing a kia by getting parts
> from a vehicle dismantler. *because their depreciation rate is high,
> they tend to be written off early by the insurer [repair cost exceeds
> vehicle value] so you can get parts in good condition from late model
> cars at significant savings. *that should help you bring the repair
> forwards. *and most spindle bends are passenger side, not driver, so
> again, this improves your chances of getting what you need.
>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum- Hide quoted text -

___________________
Sad to hear about the depreciation aspect of these cars. From my
personal experience this '08 Optima will out handle ANY Chevy Malibu,
not just the electrically power steered 2005 it replaced! I didn't
say overpower, just the handling aspect. Who needs all that power if
all it does is go straight or get you in a lurch? LOL!

Thanks for the advice though, and I will be looking into getting this
fixed.

-CC
Old October 11th 11, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>I recently had my tires rotated and balanced for a long trip I made
>the past weekend, but vibration remains. Basically steering wheel
>turns side to side very quickly but when both hands are on the wheel
>it is less noticeable. Is this vib related to the bend spindle, and
>how much trouble - potentially - could I be in?

It's what they call a "possible wheel fly-off condition."
--scott
Old October 11th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 11, 3:18*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> >I recently had my tires rotated and balanced for a long trip I made
> >the past weekend, but vibration remains. *Basically steering wheel
> >turns side to side very quickly but when both hands are on the wheel
> >it is less noticeable. *Is this vib related to the bend spindle, and
> >how much trouble - potentially - could I be in?

> It's what they call a "possible wheel fly-off condition."
> --scott

_______________________
Took it to a body shop I've used in the past this afternoon. While he
was taking notes on his clipboard I casually mentioned my past weekend
travels: CT to Maryland, and he almost dropped the clipboard and pen!
Based upon my description - and demonstation - of what the steering
wheel was doing he was genuinely shocked that I went that far with the
wheel doing that!

At minimum he wants to replace both the spindle assy and left front
bearing. He says tie-rod end may be optional, but suggests the
previous two items should eliminate the shimmying and crooked steering
wheel.

-CC
Old October 11th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/11/2011 01:24 PM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Oct 11, 3:18�pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>>> I recently had my tires rotated and balanced for a long trip I made
>>> the past weekend, but vibration remains. �Basically steering wheel
>>> turns side to side very quickly but when both hands are on the wheel
>>> it is less noticeable. �Is this vib related to the bend spindle, and
>>> how much trouble - potentially - could I be in?

>> It's what they call a "possible wheel fly-off condition."
>> --scott
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> _______________________
> Took it to a body shop I've used in the past this afternoon. While he
> was taking notes on his clipboard I casually mentioned my past weekend
> travels: CT to Maryland, and he almost dropped the clipboard and pen!
> Based upon my description - and demonstation - of what the steering
> wheel was doing he was genuinely shocked that I went that far with the
> wheel doing that!
>
> At minimum he wants to replace both the spindle assy and left front
> bearing. He says tie-rod end may be optional, but suggests the
> previous two items should eliminate the shimmying and crooked steering
> wheel.
>
> -CC

you should also know that the suspension components are usually pretty
freakin' strong, so it's highly unusual to bend these things without
frame alignment also being affected. check and make sure they're
looking at that as part of the repair.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum