94 Auto Door Locks Not

Old February 17th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
The Ranger[_3_]

Default 94 Auto Door Locks Not

My wife's 1994 Explorer XLT 8-cylinder is starting to get a
little long in the tooth apparently. It recently clicked over
the 150K mile when multiple things simply gave up their
collective ghosts.

First was the fuel pump -- right _after_ I filled the tank. 17
gallons of premium unleaded down the tube. <sigh>

Then there was the mysterious leak of radiator fluid that
puddled under the middle of the chassis nightly. The mechanic
was lucky enough to see the crack in the radiator from the
return intake. When the engine was warmed up, it allowed the
crack to open and a few drops would escape (not a massive leak)
and these would travel like an animator's dream down the frame
to the middle of the vehicle and exit onto the ground. The
first guess was her water pump but Lady Luck was with us here.

Then the rear passenger window detached itself from the runner
guide and we were forced to replace the entire mechanism,
bushings and all.

Lately another part -- or parts -- have stopped working; the
auto-locks on two of the five doors (hatchback being one of the
non-operating offenders.) The driver's door is also no working
and requires manually setting the lock and using the key to
open said lock (since the keychain alarm won't unlock it.)

Is there a way of resetting the locks, hopefully purging the
problem, or might there be some wires that have come loose or
are the other doors doomed to failure sooner versus later?

Thanks for any ideas.

The Ranger

Old February 18th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan Williams

Sounds like simple age-related issues - it is a 24 year old vehicle...

As for the power locks they are actually controlled by relatively powerful
actuators inside the door that physically move the rods that connect up the
locks, handles, and plungers. They can age and go bad, especially if water
gets in the doors (check the drain holes). You should be able to hear these
actuators "clunking" when you push the power locks - if not then they are
bad or a wire/fuse is to blame. Only way to know is to take the door
apart...

Al

Old February 18th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Allan.... Is there a chance you can come and work for our payroll
department? I like the way you add....

Sorry, man... there was no way I could resist....

Old February 19th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

Whoops. C'mon, it's that new math I guess...

--
Allan Williams

Old February 19th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

A '94 with 8 cylinder engine?
Old February 20th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
The Ranger[_3_]

Bob > wrote in message
. ..
> A '94 with 8 cylinder engine?

Yes. A 94 XLT V8. You might be wondering because the 4X4 wasn't
an option until a couple years later due to too little space
available.

The Ranger

Old February 22nd 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Bob > wrote in message
> . ..
> > A '94 with 8 cylinder engine?

> Yes. A 94 XLT V8. You might be wondering because the 4X4 wasn't
> an option until a couple years later due to too little space
> available.
>
> The Ranger

I've never heard of a '94 with a V8. Are you *sure* it's a '94 and not a
'95? Got any pics?

Old February 22nd 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
The Ranger[_3_]

>> Bob > asked first in message
>> . ..
>> > A '94 with 8 cylinder engine?

Then Ulysses /> asked again in message
> I've never heard of a '94 with a V8. Are you *sure*
> it's a '94 and not a '95? Got any pics?

You both had me questioning whether I was having a flashback
from some memory-altering psychotropic so I checked the
registration.

Imagine my embarrassment when I saw "1996" instead of the '94
I've been hallucinating... The 90's must've been real good
because I don't seem to remember a lot from them nowadays.

Thanks for setting me straight. <sigh>

The "Befuddled" Ranger

Tech: 1994 Accord w/ power door locks. Can't open the door m6onz5a Technology 3 November 23rd 07 03:20 PM
47 door locks mailman Technology 3 July 22nd 07 05:40 AM
DEFEATING AUTO DOOR LOCKS swampcat Technology 2 July 5th 07 05:15 AM
'98 door locks John B. Ford Explorer 1 January 23rd 07 10:52 PM
door locks auditurbo Audi 1 March 11th 05 06:11 AM