transmission help

Old February 16th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jevange

Default transmission help

hi guys and girls, some input if you can.
The o/d light on my explorer 98 xlt has been flashing for a while,
when it flashes it changes gears hard with a clunk, the o/d light
stops flashing and the car drives well again. Was driving it 2 days
ago and the od light began to flash and a whinding noise started, 2-3
km down the road the car started to rev up and not go anywhere, i
limped it home slowly with the car engaging drive and then lossing it.
I would have to turn the car off and on to get it to re engage
drive. HOW BAD IS IT?? any clues. cheers
PS as i live in australia can it be fixed with a rebuild kit from the
states as parts for the tranny are pretty much non exsistant here.
Old February 17th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

The flashing OD light is a sign that something is wrong.... left unattended,
transmission problems have a way of snowballing.... At the time that the
light is flashing, the transmission goes into what might be considered a
"fail safe" mode. Line pressure maxes out in an attempt to keep clutches
from slipping (hence the harsh shift feel) and the PCM (bless it's niave
little heart) firmly believes that the owner is going to say "Uh-oh...
better get that checked".

Without knowing which trans it is, total miles on the car, how many miles
has it been driven "hurtin'"... codes... maybe some pessure and "what gears
do I have" kinds of testing.. it's a crap shoot to come up with an answer
that really means anything.. Is the concern very, very intermittent - or
does it happen very regularly? So many questions, I know... but a good diag
needs to have them asked and answered.

Occasionally, we see these kinds of things as an electrical concern... more
often than not, they are mechanical or hydraulic problems. If it is an
internal problem, the condition of the rest of the trans needs to be
considered... If it's getting long in the tooth, the wise choice might be a
rebuilt.... If the trans has a lot of miles, going in and fixing only the
obvious problem could leave an owner with a ticking time bomb on his hands.

FWIW.... on both the 5R55 and the 4R70, I'd have to say that I see more
direct clutch failures than anything else.

A good trans tech will start with fluid level and condition... a code
scan... and (hopefully the trans will be acting up for this part) a road
test - he'll be checking what lever positions work as they should....
whether there is engine braking when it should happen... upshift and
downshift points. This part can be tough to describe... I don't know what
I'm looking for.... but when I find it, I'll know.... Pressure testing can
be very important as well.... Using this info, the appropriate band/clutch
apply charts... a savvy trans guy should be able to nail the cause of the
failure 90% of the time.

Not the answer you're looking for, I know... but the automatic trans is a
pretty complex beast...

FWIW, the only "rebuild" kits that I know of come only with the fiber and
steel plates and all the "soft" parts (seals, gaskets sealing rings...) and
might not contain what it is you actually need..

Afterthought... I've heard of worn servo bores in the 5R55 giving grief...
Haven't come across one myself, but there are aftermarket kits available to
repair this condition.

Old February 17th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey

Jim Warman wrote:
> The flashing OD light is a sign that something is wrong.... left unattended,
> transmission problems have a way of snowballing.... At the time that the
> light is flashing, the transmission goes into what might be considered a
> "fail safe" mode. Line pressure maxes out in an attempt to keep clutches
> from slipping (hence the harsh shift feel) and the PCM (bless it's niave
> little heart) firmly believes that the owner is going to say "Uh-oh...
> better get that checked".

Jim -

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have a related question. I own
a 2002 Explorer V-8 with 5R55W transmission and 135K miles. Last year,
on two separate occasions, the "OD OFF" light (the orange one on the
right of the instrument panel) began to flash very rapidly. Both times,
this occurred after pulling a lightweight (3500 pounds) camper trailer
on level roads at turnpike speeds for more than two hours with the OD
OFF switch activated, and it started not during towing, but as I slowed
down at an exit ramp. After a few minutes of slow-speed driving, the
light went off. Other than the fluttering light, nothing else seemed to
be amiss.

A couple weeks later I took the vehicle to a Ford dealer, and they told
me that an error code had indeed been set. They didn't tell me the code
number, but said that the name of the code was something like "Improper
second gear ratio". I don't think he did anything about it, and it never
happened again.

My questions are 1) I can't find any reference anywhere to
transmission-generated codes (as opposed to engine or emissions system
codes). Can you point me to a list of these codes? I'm not nearly a good
enough mechanic to screw with my transmission, but I am a curious type.
And 2) what would/could an "improper second gear ratio" refer to, and
why would it show up only after extended towing in 4th gear?

Many thanks for any answers you care to offer.

Bill Jeffrey

Old February 17th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Bill... unlike OBD2 codes, transmission codes are "proprietary"... They
can't normally be accessed with low end code readers and scan tools and it
will be the manufacturer that decides on what a particular code definition
is. IIRC, your Ex is fitted with the trans that has no dipstick.. fluid
level is where the tech would have (or should have) gone after retrieving
codes. While this might not offer any clues, it still needs to be done to
rule out some basic issues. Unfortunately, the only real way to check fluid
condition is to remove the pan.

Gear ratio error codes are most often the result of intenal transmission
concerns... this next bit is more opinion than diagnosis... The OD band is
applied in second gear as well as fifth gear. Your had OD cancel applied
while you were towing so there would be no indication of any 5th gear
concerns. Your light came on only while you were towing... this indicates to
me that there is the possibilty that the OD band was slipping (only one of a
few possibilities) under higher loads. Knowing that other techs have found
concerns with the servoes leaking past the plunger, I'd probably spend the
time to check the servo bores in the trans case....

What can make diagnosis extremely difficult is being unable to recreate the
concern using "normal" conditions....

HTH

Old February 18th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey

Jim -

That is a whole lot more info than I had before, and I thank you for
taking the time to pass it along. Though I didn't mention it, I did ask
the shop to drop the pan to replace the filter, as part of the
follow-up. Don't know if that was needed, but it sure didn't hurt.

Thanks again

Bill
----------------------------

Jim Warman wrote:
> Bill... unlike OBD2 codes, transmission codes are "proprietary"... They
> can't normally be accessed with low end code readers and scan tools and it
> will be the manufacturer that decides on what a particular code definition
> is. IIRC, your Ex is fitted with the trans that has no dipstick.. fluid
> level is where the tech would have (or should have) gone after retrieving
> codes. While this might not offer any clues, it still needs to be done to
> rule out some basic issues. Unfortunately, the only real way to check fluid
> condition is to remove the pan.
>
> Gear ratio error codes are most often the result of intenal transmission
> concerns... this next bit is more opinion than diagnosis... The OD band is
> applied in second gear as well as fifth gear. Your had OD cancel applied
> while you were towing so there would be no indication of any 5th gear
> concerns. Your light came on only while you were towing... this indicates to
> me that there is the possibilty that the OD band was slipping (only one of a
> few possibilities) under higher loads. Knowing that other techs have found
> concerns with the servoes leaking past the plunger, I'd probably spend the
> time to check the servo bores in the trans case....
>
> What can make diagnosis extremely difficult is being unable to recreate the
> concern using "normal" conditions....
>
> HTH

help with transmission tysteel Technology 3 March 15th 07 10:07 PM
Transmission Kits and Parts / Transfer Case Kit Part / Cobra Transmission [email protected] Chrysler 0 March 14th 07 03:52 PM
oil in transmission [email protected] Technology 9 October 31st 06 06:10 PM
Cvt Transmission Greg4g63t Honda 1 June 23rd 06 07:11 AM
Transmission Cooler For Tacoma PreRunner 4 Cylinder 2.7 Automatic Transmission Tommy Taylor Technology 1 January 1st 05 11:26 PM