97 xlt whirring noise

Old February 6th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 97 xlt whirring noise

Whenever I get up to 50 or 60 mph and slow down from this speed (take
foot off gas) the engine makes a load whirring noise/loud strain when
down shifting. I took it to a transmission place. Transmission needs
to be rebuilt to the tune of $1700 - 2100. Mileage is 252k. Does this
price seem right for mileage and age? I really can't afford to keep
pumping money into this vehicle. I'm disappointed it didn't last
longer. I'm going to put it up on craig's list and disclose to the
buyer above information. Everything else works fine though. Please
send me condolences because I'm sad...I love my explorer to death - we
have had some great adventures but no more.

your pal,

fogdog
Old February 6th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

On Feb 5, 8:51 pm, wrote:
> Whenever I get up to 50 or 60 mph and slow down from this speed (take
> foot off gas) the engine makes a load whirring noise/loud strain when
> down shifting. I took it to a transmission place. Transmission needs
> to be rebuilt to the tune of $1700 - 2100. Mileage is 252k. Does this
> price seem right for mileage and age? I really can't afford to keep
> pumping money into this vehicle. I'm disappointed it didn't last
> longer. I'm going to put it up on craig's list and disclose to the
> buyer above information. Everything else works fine though. Please
> send me condolences because I'm sad...I love my explorer to death - we
> have had some great adventures but no more.
>
> your pal,
>
> fogdog

I was told by Aamco that quote. According to a post I read on this
newsgroup Aamco is a bad idea..is there somewhere else I should try?
I live in Denver.

>Thanks,

>I plan on taking my Explorer to Aamco to do exactly what you
>suggested.

Dear God NO!!!! NEVER go to AAMCO unless there are simply no other
choices. There might be an honest one somewhere but you are rolling
the dice. They will try to get you to let them "diagnose" it for you.
By the time they are done you'll have a basketful of parts with a
choice of "We can rebuild it for you for $3000 or we can give you this
basketful of parts and you can get it towed out of here."
Old February 28th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

252K on an original transmission? Sounds like you broke a record and should
be very proud.

No advice on AAMCO. This is a franchise, so every shop may be different. I
used them once, 15 years ago. At first had to go back for a leak due to a
loose cooling tube fitting. Then found out that it refused to downshift
under load. Took three trips for them to acknowledge the problem, but they
finally found a broken spring in the valve body and replaced it. Years
later, when I replaced the engine, I found out that the original torque
converter was still there, even though AAMCO charged me for a new one.
Nevertheless, that rebuilt C5 is still going strong, and I put 120K on it
since. Certainly got my money's worth, considering that the original one
failed at 75K...

Whirring noise in the front-end of a 2000 Cirrus mike[_14_] Chrysler 5 November 3rd 06 11:08 PM
Loud whirring noise in rear diff gkucera Jeep 9 September 17th 05 09:49 PM
Whirring. Matthew Allen Honda 7 September 13th 05 01:59 AM
Whirring noise 320i preps BMW 6 July 21st 05 06:02 PM
1998 SL2 - Engine 'whirring' noise Steve Whymark Saturn 4 April 6th 05 08:27 AM