Kubica Crash

Old June 13th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jan Verschueren

Default Kubica Crash

"Tim Wheatley" wrote...
>> Was he not unconscious. That's head trauma of some kind in my medical
>> book.

> I'm not sure that was ever confirmed?

According to an article in the paper over here, he claims to remember the
entire accident, but I'm pretty sure he was out when the car came to a stop.
At the time he appeared to be dead to me.

To "walk" away from that one with only a minor concussion and a sprained
ankle... amazing.

BTW: the more a structure gets "beefed up" the more energy it transfers to
its occupant, which is not a good thing.

Jan.
=---

Old June 13th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry \(The Other Larry\)

A family member once had a head on into a Honda Accord. She was driving a
Chevy Suburban. It was the Accords fault.

Each vehicle protected in a different way. The Honda basically exploded
into a million pieces. The Valve cover was some 100 feet away. The
suburban protected just by sheer mass.

Everyone walked away.

Both had to be towed away, but the Honda was scrap metal. The suburban was
back on the road the next week

It was a medium speed crash. Around 30 mph. Both entered a sharp curve
(from different directions) and the road was wet. The accord driver was
going to fast and didn't make the corner, and slid into the suburbans path.

-Larry

Old June 14th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Tim Wheatley" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> In any case, it appeared to be a SAFER barrier wall and I would bet the
>> farm
>> if it were pure concrete it could have been much worse.
>>
>> Ed

> Standard concrete block walls, seen on many street circuits also (such
> as Long Beach).
>
> http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7...848oxc1fl1.jpg
>
> http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5...904ojb0pi6.jpg

I watched the video and saw that gap (black line) on the wall and thought it
may have been a SAFER barrier. The video was not that good of quality and my
error. Amazing he came through that with such minor injuries. Indy and
ChampCar could take a few lessons from F1 in the cockpit safety area. The
driver 'cocoon' was the only part of the car that stayed completely intact
through that entire accident. Thanks for the pics.

Ed

Old June 14th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry \(The Other Larry\)

It's amazing that Tracy broke his back in what was basically a 'Boink' into
the wall. It barely even dented the nose.

-Larry

t...

Old June 14th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Zed

You Tube has some good vids of the crash. One is from a spectator, it
shows a corner worker just ducking away before the car comes into
screen. The car is clearly airborne before it hits the corner and then
the wall. You can watch the corner worker and pause the vid just as he
moves, the car pops into view a split second before impact.

Oops, it looks like Uncle Bernie and F1 Management has had all the
Kubica vids removed from YouTube.

Old June 14th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

> I watched the video and saw that gap (black line) on the wall and thought it
> may have been a SAFER barrier. The video was not that good of quality and my
> error. Amazing he came through that with such minor injuries. Indy and
> ChampCar could take a few lessons from F1 in the cockpit safety area. The
> driver 'cocoon' was the only part of the car that stayed completely intact
> through that entire accident. Thanks for the pics.
>
> Ed

No worries. I've never seen those concrete blocks move though, that
was a big hit. The Long Beach track uses the same type, they have
holes in the top and the catch fencing simply "drops" into the holes.
I guess the fences being there would help enforce the concrete and
stop the blocks moving.

Tim.

Old June 15th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike Young

"Zed" > wrote in message
> Oops, it looks like Uncle Bernie and F1 Management has had all the Kubica
> vids removed from YouTube.

Wow. "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula
One Management". Even the private videos? It's time to let Google/youtube
sink under its own weight and success.

Here's one that's still good:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39867907859307. And another,
same one with more before and after: