92 Honda Accord Check Engine Light

Old October 23rd 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Lilroskie07

Default 92 Honda Accord Check Engine Light

So one night I was driving my car and as I came up to a stop light my
car died. It took a couple times to get it started. Then it was fine.
Then a couple days later I was driving my car then all of a sudden my
check engine light comes on and the car just dies. That day it started
right back up. The next day it does the same thing. It's been an
ongoing process. Some days when I drive it the check engine light
comes on and it will either start right back up or I have to let it sit
for quite a while before it will fire back up.
I took it in to have it fixed. They replaced the coil, spark plugs,
and some valve gaskets. That was not the problem. The check engine
light came on and was doing the same thing. So then I got a main relay
for my car and replaced that. It ran fine for a small while then the
check engine light came on again. So I'm pretty much clueless as far
as what the hell is wrong with my car. If you have any ideas of what
it could be that would be great!

Old October 23rd 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Lilroskie07" > wrote in
oups.com:

> So one night I was driving my car and as I came up to a stop light my
> car died. It took a couple times to get it started. Then it was
> fine.
> Then a couple days later I was driving my car then all of a sudden my
> check engine light comes on and the car just dies. That day it
> started right back up. The next day it does the same thing. It's
> been an ongoing process. Some days when I drive it the check engine
> light comes on and it will either start right back up or I have to let
> it sit for quite a while before it will fire back up.
> I took it in to have it fixed. They replaced the coil, spark plugs,
> and some valve gaskets. That was not the problem. The check engine
> light came on and was doing the same thing. So then I got a main
> relay for my car and replaced that. It ran fine for a small while
> then the check engine light came on again. So I'm pretty much
> clueless as far as what the hell is wrong with my car. If you have
> any ideas of what it could be that would be great!

If you're clueless, so are the monkeys who did the work on your car.
That Check Engine light MEANS SOMETHING.

Go here to see how to retrieve the error code number from the Check
Engine light:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/..._E_14JAN03.pdf Specifically
see page 15. The "tool" they refer to is a straightened paper clip, with
which you jump the two terminals on the Service Check connector. The
location of that is on page 18.

You should also phone the garages that did the work and ask what error
codes they observed.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 23rd 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Lilroskie07

Awesome...Thank you. Yeah you would think they would of found the
problem, but $530.00 later they didn't. I'll try that code today to
see if I can figure out what's wrong with it.

Old October 23rd 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Lilroskie07

So I went out and did the code. My engine light blinked 1 time slow
then 5 times fast. I tried to look it up on that website you gave me
but I'm not sure how to determine what it is. Any help would be very
much appreciated!

Old October 23rd 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

Lilroskie07 wrote:

> So I went out and did the code. My engine light blinked 1 time slow
> then 5 times fast. I tried to look it up on that website you gave me
> but I'm not sure how to determine what it is. Any help would be very
> much appreciated!

Code 15 represents a problem with the ignition output signal.

With that said, my first guess is the igniter.
Old October 23rd 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

High Tech Misfit > wrote in newsi5npyuo3324
:

> Lilroskie07 wrote:
>
>> So I went out and did the code. My engine light blinked 1 time slow
>> then 5 times fast. I tried to look it up on that website you gave me
>> but I'm not sure how to determine what it is. Any help would be very
>> much appreciated!

> Code 15 represents a problem with the ignition output signal.
>
> With that said, my first guess is the igniter.

I'd concur. Good first place to check, anyway.

Old October 23rd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in news:Xns9865BDDA4A9A1tegger@
207.14.116.130:

> High Tech Misfit > wrote in newsi5npyuo3324
> :
>
>> Lilroskie07 wrote:
>>
>>> So I went out and did the code. My engine light blinked 1 time slow
>>> then 5 times fast. I tried to look it up on that website you gave me
>>> but I'm not sure how to determine what it is. Any help would be very
>>> much appreciated!

>> Code 15 represents a problem with the ignition output signal.
>>
>> With that said, my first guess is the igniter.

> I'd concur. Good first place to check, anyway.

By the way, to the OP: Does your tach needle drop to zero at the exact
instant the car begins to die?

Old October 24th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Lilroskie07

I haven't really payed attention to that....the only thing I've noticed
is that it idles pretty close to zero.

Old October 24th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Lilroskie07" > wrote in
ups.com:

> TeGGeR® wrote:

>> By the way, to the OP: Does your tach needle drop to zero at the
>> exact instant the car begins to die?
>>

> I haven't really payed attention to that....the only thing I've
> noticed is that it idles pretty close to zero.

It can't.The tach only reads down to 500. And if it idles that low, then
you have other problems, possibly lots of them, and possibly the reason
you're stalling.

Watch that tach closely next time you have trouble.

Old October 27th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Lilroskie07

So I got a new distributor and put that in and so far so good. Let's
just keep the fingers crossed that the distributor was the problem.
Thanks so much for all of your guy's help!