Where to keep vehicle registration in a VW Golf?

Old May 29th 05, 04:22 PM
jpmccormac

What's a glove box? My '96 VW doesn't have one.
(VW didn't put them in to make room for the second air bag)

Old May 30th 05, 01:14 AM
Matt B.

"jpmccormac" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> What's a glove box? My '96 VW doesn't have one.
> (VW didn't put them in to make room for the second air bag)

Mid '96 they wiggled a glove box in under the dash.

Old May 30th 05, 02:42 PM
Arthur Dent

"John S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Maybe I'm different, but I don't plan my driving habits around whether
> I'm going to be pulled over. Just store the paperwork in a place where
> they won't get misplaced that is also easy to get to. For most of us
> that place is the glove compartment. And the cops know that. Just be
> deliberate and open in your movements and it will be fine...honest.
>
> If you are among the minority who has a license to carry a concealed
> weapon in the glove compartment then explain the situation to the
> officer BEFORE opening the glove box.

Whether you are carrying a gun or not, or it is in the glove box, make sure
you can lay your hands on the reg without hunting for it (mine is usually on
the visor, held by elastic). Have your window down, and license and reg in
one hand, and have both hands resting on the wheel in plain sight by the
time the cop gets to your window. Leave your hands on the wheel until he
asks for your papers, hand him the papers and put your hand back on the
wheel. Never make any sudden moves.

If you -can't- get your sh*t together before he gets to the window, make
sure you make any movements very, very slowly. Don't make him nervous.
Explain what movements you are going to make -before- you make them.

Aside from that-

1) What good is having a gun if it is in the glove box?

2) In some states, keeping a gun in the glove box may be considered improper
storage (especially if you park the vehicle and leave the gun in it) and may
cause your license to be suspended or revoked. (BTDT, lost my lic. for a
year.)

3) I used to tell the cops I was armed, not anymore. Sometimes they freak.
(Not that I get pulled over very often.) I make sure my DL and reg are handy
and have them ready as I described. I will no longer tell them I am armed
unless the situation escalates to something beyond an ordinary traffic stop.

I've had cops freak on me twice (which is actually a relatively high
percentage of the times I've been stopped) after informing them that I was
carrying. Both times the cops insisted on taking my gun. On the second
occaision, the cop drew on me, pointed his weapon at my head and cocked it.
I handed over my gun at his request and he fumbled, dropping my custom S&W
629 snubbie onto the pavement and damaging it. While I am slightly p*ssed
about _that_, what I am ever so thankful for is that it was not _his_ gun
that he fumbled and that my brain remained comfortably tucked inside my
skull rather than being sprayed over the interior of my car. No more, I
won't tell them unless I have to. My bunghole tightened up so much I don't
think I crapped for a week afterward.

Old May 31st 05, 05:22 AM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled Rich Wales > wrote:
: Where should you keep the registration form in an '04 Golf?

Do you have to carry it still in your state? In Illinois you no longer
need to keep the card with you unless your van/truck can carry 10 or more
passengers or is commercial.

We just have to keep proof of insurance in the car.

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old May 31st 05, 07:09 AM
Rich Wales

John Nelson wrote:

> Do you have to carry it still in your state? In Illinois
> you no longer need to keep the card with you . . . .

California requires the registration form (or a copy thereof) to
be carried in the vehicle. (Vehicle Code sec. 4454.)

Rich Wales http://www.richw.org

Old May 31st 05, 04:22 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Daniel Alsaker wrote:

> > the police officer might freak out if I were to go for the glove
> > compartment (which might, for all he/she knows, contain a gun).

> What the hell kind of a scary-ass country do you live in, where a police
> officer might freak out if you reached for the glove compartment???

The YSM.

Old May 31st 05, 04:56 PM
S John M-M

On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:39:34 -0700, "Matt B." >
wrote:

>> Actually, that's something else about my 95 Cabrio-- no glove box. And
>> it a sidebar to the other tread about my hostage trunk situation, I
>> wound up keeping the registration and insurance stuff in an envelope
>> which I taped on the ceiling of my trunk (the interior of that metal
>> shelf I'm getting ready to try to take out).

>pretty inconvenient though. what about door map pockets? wouldnt' that be
>easier?

The only time I've ever actually had to get at it was to put my
updated insurance information in so not really a terrible unconvinced.
No wrecks. Not even a traffic stop in 5 years. Anyhow, the map pockets
are basically just open bins on the doors... even if it WASN'T a
convertible, I wouldn't keep something that significant in there.

--S. John
Old May 31st 05, 04:59 PM
S John M-M

On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:58:52 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 May 2005, S John M-M wrote:
>
>> Actually, that's something else about my 95 Cabrio-- no glove box.

>They decided you needed an airbag and knee bolster more than you needed a
>glovebox.

They're always thinking of me. I feel the German love. Actually the
knee bolster would be really useful if I could take it out of the car
and use it elsewhere.

Ewwwww. Did I type that out loud? LOL.

--S. John