Making ALL Roads Into TOLL Roads

Old December 5th 04, 01:24 AM
Dale DePriest

Default Making ALL Roads Into TOLL Roads

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Dale DePriest wrote:
>

>> Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:58:24 -0500, Alex Rodriguez

>>> Alex,
>>>
>>> perhaps we should concede that a situation, in which more
>>> horsepower is the only way out to safety, is exceedingly rare.

>> In addition, no amount of education will prevent some people from
>> misusing the power and causing more safety issues.
>>
>> Dale
>>

> I'm not sure what you're arguing, here - but just about *anything* can
> be (and is) misused by the incompetent or stupid.
>
> nate

I suggesting the the statement that all people need is "just some
education" to be safe with a huge amound of horsepower is very
idealistic. People who are completely sane in other areas will misuse a
car with lots of horses more often than they will be able to use it as a
safety feature.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
Old December 5th 04, 03:53 AM
Dick Boyd

Hans-Georg Michna > wrote in message >. ..
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:14:11 -0500, "Frank Looper"
> > wrote:
>
> >... most people who want to hold elective office
> >aren't the type folks that you'd want there.
> >
> >It's a problem worldwide. From town council to presidents, prime ministers
> >and U.N. officials.

> Frank,
>
> you are so right! We're breeding professional politicians.
>
> Hans-Georg

This from Illinois. Identify the crooks and either put them in prison
or in public office. Either way there will be someone watching them.

Yes, there are honest politicians in Illinois. They just have to work
harder watching the cooked ones. The crooks that get voted out of
office no longer have the spotlight of public scrutiny. They are now
free to use the information gained in office to drain the treasury.

Think about it. Politics has the highest unemployment. Only half the
candidates get elected. What happens to the ones that don't get
elected?

And finally, this question. What is the difference between the Boy
Scouts and a Town Council? Adult supervision.
Old December 5th 04, 03:56 AM
Dick Boyd

> >I remember there was a tax on tea in 1775. It was overturned (pun
> >intended). Maybe we ought to revisit that concept.
> >

> The concept wasn't about taxes per se, but about taxation without
> representation.
> I'm sure you knew that.
> You, as a voter, have the opportunity to work towards reducing/ending
> any tax you don't like. The colonials didn't.

Worse yet is representation without taxation. Are bicycles, trains and
buses over represented financially?
Old December 6th 04, 02:19 AM
Nate Nagel

Dale DePriest wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Dale DePriest wrote:

>>> In addition, no amount of education will prevent some people from
>>> misusing the power and causing more safety issues.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you're arguing, here - but just about *anything* can
>> be (and is) misused by the incompetent or stupid.
>>
>> nate
>>

> I suggesting the the statement that all people need is "just some
> education" to be safe with a huge amound of horsepower is very
> idealistic. People who are completely sane in other areas will misuse a
> car with lots of horses more often than they will be able to use it as a
> safety feature.
>
> Dale

i dunno, being able to merge at the speed of traffic IMHO is a safety
feature that one uses every time one enters a highway, while on the flip
side I see all sorts of underpowered vehicles still being driven at
speeds that while safe in and of themselves are enough higher than the
general traffic flow to be considered dangerous. Me, I'll take the car
with "too much" power any day over one with not enough.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel