Heating up too much

Old July 20th 05, 05:20 PM
YouGoFirst

Default Heating up too much

I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2 L V8 engine. I recently
had the thermostat and the fan clutch replaced, and 1 1/2 years ago the
radiator was replaced.

I live in Utah, and lately it has been getting up to 100 degrees, and I have
found that if I am driving my car around and get stopped at a bunch of stop
light my temperature goes over 210. I am not in rush hour trafic, and am
able to go for a block or two before having to stop. Fortunately, if I can
get going 40 mph or more for a few of minutes the temp goes down to about
190. My only thought would be that the fan clutch that I just had put in
doesn't work right. Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on?

Old July 20th 05, 06:30 PM
Will Honea

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:20:04 UTC "YouGoFirst" >
wrote:

> I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2 L V8 engine. I recently
> had the thermostat and the fan clutch replaced, and 1 1/2 years ago the
> radiator was replaced.
>
> I live in Utah, and lately it has been getting up to 100 degrees, and I have
> found that if I am driving my car around and get stopped at a bunch of stop
> light my temperature goes over 210. I am not in rush hour trafic, and am
> able to go for a block or two before having to stop. Fortunately, if I can
> get going 40 mph or more for a few of minutes the temp goes down to about
> 190. My only thought would be that the fan clutch that I just had put in
> doesn't work right. Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on?

How much over 210? If it only gets to 210 and holds there (or close)
without continuing to rise toward the redline you have a normal
situation. You may be seeing some degradation in the water pump - the
vanes will corrode over time - but some increase in temp is normal
when the OAT is in the 100+ range (I can testify to that - I grew up
in West Texas). If you have a/c you might also look to see if the
aux. electric fan is working, if you have one. Remember that 40 mph
provides two cooling boosts: air flow and increased circulation by the
water pump.

--
Will Honea
Old July 20th 05, 06:56 PM
J Strickland

You still have problems with the fan clutch. Or, you have new problems with
the fan clutch. Either way, my guess is the fan clutch, and I'm sticking to
it.

Old July 20th 05, 07:54 PM
YouGoFirst

>> I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2 L V8 engine. I recently
>> had the thermostat and the fan clutch replaced, and 1 1/2 years ago the
>> radiator was replaced.
>>
>> I live in Utah, and lately it has been getting up to 100 degrees, and I
>> have
>> found that if I am driving my car around and get stopped at a bunch of
>> stop
>> light my temperature goes over 210. I am not in rush hour trafic, and am
>> able to go for a block or two before having to stop. Fortunately, if I
>> can
>> get going 40 mph or more for a few of minutes the temp goes down to about
>> 190. My only thought would be that the fan clutch that I just had put in
>> doesn't work right. Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on?

> How much over 210? If it only gets to 210 and holds there (or close)
> without continuing to rise toward the redline you have a normal
> situation. You may be seeing some degradation in the water pump - the
> vanes will corrode over time - but some increase in temp is normal
> when the OAT is in the 100+ range (I can testify to that - I grew up
> in West Texas). If you have a/c you might also look to see if the
> aux. electric fan is working, if you have one. Remember that 40 mph
> provides two cooling boosts: air flow and increased circulation by the
> water pump.

It has gone up just over the next gauge mark, which I think is 235. I
think that it would have kept on going if I hadn't been moving agian.

Where would the aux fan be, I looked, and haven't found one, unless it is
between the AC coils and the radiator.

Old July 20th 05, 08:09 PM
Rusted

First vote is the fan clutch. But a second and easy one is the radiator
cap, if you are not getting enough pressure your water will not hold as much
heat.

Old July 20th 05, 10:35 PM
DougW

YouGoFirst did pass the time by typing:
> I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2 L V8 engine. I recently
> had the thermostat and the fan clutch replaced, and 1 1/2 years ago the
> radiator was replaced.
>
> I live in Utah, and lately it has been getting up to 100 degrees, and I have
> found that if I am driving my car around and get stopped at a bunch of stop
> light my temperature goes over 210. I am not in rush hour trafic, and am
> able to go for a block or two before having to stop. Fortunately, if I can
> get going 40 mph or more for a few of minutes the temp goes down to about
> 190. My only thought would be that the fan clutch that I just had put in
> doesn't work right. Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on?

It could also be the pump impeller has worn and your not getting enough
flow.

Clutches are fairly easy. When hot they shouldn't spin easily and when
cold should spin "easier" but not fully free.

Also know the 8 runs hot and has fairly poor circulation. Installing
the 5.9 hood vents is usually good for 10-20 degrees.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old July 20th 05, 11:47 PM
YouGoFirst

>> I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2 L V8 engine. I recently
>> had the thermostat and the fan clutch replaced, and 1 1/2 years ago the
>> radiator was replaced.
>>
>> I live in Utah, and lately it has been getting up to 100 degrees, and I
>> have
>> found that if I am driving my car around and get stopped at a bunch of
>> stop
>> light my temperature goes over 210. I am not in rush hour trafic, and am
>> able to go for a block or two before having to stop. Fortunately, if I
>> can
>> get going 40 mph or more for a few of minutes the temp goes down to about
>> 190. My only thought would be that the fan clutch that I just had put in
>> doesn't work right. Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on?

> It could also be the pump impeller has worn and your not getting enough
> flow.
>
> Clutches are fairly easy. When hot they shouldn't spin easily and when
> cold should spin "easier" but not fully free.
>
> Also know the 8 runs hot and has fairly poor circulation. Installing
> the 5.9 hood vents is usually good for 10-20 degrees.

Can it get enough air circulation when driving at 40 mph to cool the engine
down to its normal 190 degree range?

Old July 20th 05, 11:58 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Do you still have this Spring's collection of butterflies clogging
your radiator?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 21st 05, 02:38 AM
Will Honea

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:54:34 UTC "YouGoFirst" >
wrote:

> It has gone up just over the next gauge mark, which I think is 235. I
> think that it would have kept on going if I hadn't been moving agian.
>
> Where would the aux fan be, I looked, and haven't found one, unless it is
> between the AC coils and the radiator.

Yep, that's too hot. I'm not even sure if your GC has the aux fan.
The XJ/MJ has an electric fan to the driver's behind the radiator that
cycles with the a/c and/or the high temp switch in the radiator.

--
Will Honea
Old July 21st 05, 01:44 PM
YouGoFirst

>> It has gone up just over the next gauge mark, which I think is 235. I
>> think that it would have kept on going if I hadn't been moving agian.
>>
>> Where would the aux fan be, I looked, and haven't found one, unless it is
>> between the AC coils and the radiator.

> Yep, that's too hot. I'm not even sure if your GC has the aux fan.
> The XJ/MJ has an electric fan to the driver's behind the radiator that
> cycles with the a/c and/or the high temp switch in the radiator.

What are the chances of nearly all of the components in the cooling system
going out at the same time. I have had the thermostat go out, the fan
clutch was on its way out, the radiator was replaced 1 1/2 years ago, and
now it looks like the water pump is going?

Does anybody know about how long a water pump should last?

over heating longshanks Mazda 1 February 10th 05 03:02 AM
'94 Grand Caravan Heating Problem Ed Wojciechowski Chrysler 1 January 28th 05 10:05 PM
94 Saturn SL over heating RT Saturn 6 December 7th 04 03:00 PM
1995 Dodge Caravan a\c & heating control panel switch gbjr Dodge 2 August 22nd 04 01:47 PM