5th Annual Canadian Bush (Ontario) RAMJ+W End of Summer Run Call!

Old July 18th 05, 10:28 PM
Mike Romain

Default 5th Annual Canadian Bush (Ontario) RAMJ+W End of Summer Run Call!

Folks,

We are heading into the bush on August 27th 2005 and coming out on Labor
Day, September 5th.

The run will be north of Kingston Ontario in the Bancroft area and is
family oriented camping trip way back into crown land on primitive
camping spots. The lakes are full of Bass with some Trout and tons of
pan fish for the fishermen. 7 day fishing licenses are available. I am
just bringing a dingy this year, but canoeing is excellent with chain
lakes that go on and on, even put put motorboats.

Some folks like Steve and Jo and Jason are coming for the full 2
weekends and some are coming in just for labor day weekend. I think
Snowboardripper is just coming in from Montreal for the long weekend
with Billy Ray wandering in some time or another?

Anyway folks, we have a bunch already coming, camping spots are free and
unlimited right on the lakes, gas, beer and food not far from either
trail head for fresh supplies mid week.

Usually I come out to the trail head to meet up with folks say Friday
night, but I have good maps and directions available so you can come in
anytime and find us or I can come out at any specific time and day to
meet up with anyone.

Post or email me if you are interested, my 'reply to' is valid.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 18th 05, 11:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Have a great time and buy a cheap camera for us.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 18th 05, 11:56 PM
Mike Romain

LOL!

Will do. Maybe I can get one of the good camera's fixed, but if not I
will get an instant one.

Mike

Old July 19th 05, 12:27 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks.
-Bill

Old July 19th 05, 02:54 PM
Greg

When are you going to move to the west coast so I can play?

Old July 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Mike Romain

Soon man soon.....

Mike

Old August 18th 05, 06:05 PM
Mike Romain

So it looks like a couple of folks are going in Friday the 26th, I am
going to try and get in early too but Melody has to work until Sat
Midnight so I might be going out for her or just waiting. I will know
in a few days.

I do have an old fiberglass canoe anyone is welcome to come pick up if
they want to carry it in and back out. I am only bringing my plastic
dingy in the CJ7 this trip. I can't paddle the canoe. :-(

One person was asking about car access and yes, folks are getting mini
vans into the next lake over easily. There is a 'closed' dam almost all
the way in that is passable or easily forded by a 4x4 if they do dig it
out or something, but passable.

The short road into Merril off the main trail is rough and would be
difficult but not impossible by car. An astro van made it in... Or
one could park at the entrance where I will have a paper plate and
streamers set up and just walk the 1/4 mile in. We then could come out
and transfer gear in with a Jeep.

I 'could' make arrangements to come out to the trail head Friday night,
Sept. 2nd before the long weekend to meet folks if needed. Or any other
day for that matter.

I have good directions written up with a better end of trail directions
now to find the freaking campsite rather than drive on by me. Right
Billy Ray?

I will have paper plates marked RAMJ+W for the newsgroup initials with
some streamers at the main turns.

Mike

Old August 25th 05, 06:36 PM
Mike Romain

Well I am off, see you all in a couple weeks and some of you even sooner
in person eh.

Mike

Old August 25th 05, 09:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Have fun!
Sure wish you had fix your camera. :-(
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 13th 05, 08:22 PM
Mike Romain

Well, my wife and I had a really nice vacation, thanks to all that came
out!

We ended up with 10 people including a couple of 'young Jeepers'.

I went in early to try and get the quietest lake's main campsite and
there was a warning about the creek I had to cross's bridge being under
construction for the whole 2 weeks and the road being 'impassable'.
Ouch I figure, I might have to do a 75 mile detour and stop to let
someone on my email list know to come in the other way....

So I figure no way that marsh is 'impassable' for my CJ7 with my
33x9.5's backed up by my Warn 9000 even if I am running solo so I go for
it. Ok, no construction so I stop and walk where I thought I could ford
the marsh and still figure no problems, if they take the sucker out, 'I'
can get through.

I made it into the campsite and set up then went and out-thunk myself...
I am figuring Steve and Jo wanted to camp at the noisy beach anyway and
it is 'about' a half hour 'drive' in my CJ7 closer to the bridge, let
alone walk so if anyone couldn't get across and walked the rest of the
way it would be better to be closer so I moved over the next morning and
hung my pie plate on that trail head.

Found Brian who used to have a Jeep, but still came with his Toyota 4x4,
there looking at the view and set up camp.

He informs me the bridge 'is' out on the river, but it is on a different
road downstream, not the one we need to cross anyway, so that's cool.
Turns out Peter came that way later just before the long weekend and was
lucky enough to just have to wait for a couple nails to be put in before
he could be the 'first' across it.

That night we heard a siren go off and I think of Steve, who I though
had one. I get on the CB and nope, no answer so figure a cop or warden
is giving some drunk ATV'er a hard time. (there were 'LOTS' of them,
drunk ATV'ers that is, they were trouble) Billy Ray showed up the next
day and found me at the 'wrong' lake and then some ATV'ers came by
talking about the crazy fools in a red Jeep who got a 'Boler' trailer
into the next lake over! LOL! That can only be Steve and Mad Jo for
sure.

So Brian is having a nap and Billy Ray and I go over to have a look and
sure enough, there they are. They forgot to put the CB on when he hit
the siren, figures, and they came the other way in case the bridge was
out so they missed my plate sign, and I did say I was going to be over
there, soo....

Steve and Billy Ray came along and we knocked my camp down in about 10
minutes with 3 of us and the 3 Jeeps to toss stuff into. Brian was
still napping, I called to him when we got there and by the time he woke
up, the camp was gone. He came out shaking his head, hunh, what???
LOL!

We moved over to where Steve and Jo were and settled in. I had to go
out on Sunday to pick up my wife at the nearest bus station because she
had to work up until Saturday night and got supplies.

Saw a ton of ruffed grouse and a few quail on the trails. Could of had
fresh road kill if I had of punched the go pedal a couple times, but
Billy Ray said that was too much hillbilly and he was only a red neck,
so I said aww ok... ;-)

Steve had a fold up Coleman oven which worked great so our menu
increased in possibilities. He did a roast in it one day and I did a
full sized chicken with homemade stuffing, baked buttercup squash and
mashed potatoes. Mmm, they all turned out perfectly cooked. I did up
some cinnamon rolls one evening, they seemed to be a winner too. I am
going to get myself one of those ovens, the full chicken dinner used way
less than one tank of coleman fuel. We ate pretty good as usual, I spit
roasted a duck one day. Tried to get a couple so everyone could have
some, but the town only had one duck left. We had fresh blueberries and
maple syrup for pancakes, mmmm. Did some pork tenderloin 'cordon blu',
stuffed with ham and swiss and covered in a cream of mushroom sauce one
day, Steve had tons of venison and Billy Ray was the hot dog and sausage
king. You 'mericans have a funny idea of canned chili on them dogs....

So we basically relaxed and visited for the week, Peter and son as well
as Snowboardripper showed up for the long weekend.

The armed drunk ATV'ers going around shooting up the roads at all hours
of the day and night were a bit disconcerting. One was shooting a whole
pile too close to us one day there, so I had Steve give three hit on his
'big' barmp! horn to let the fool know there were others around, another
gun went off single shot close to us in another direction too letting
the fool know there were hunters in the woods besides us campers too.

The boys went on a run there on the weekend to try and finish the one I
snapped my frame on last year and they got almost to the lake they were
aiming for when these same drunk ATV'ers barred the trail and forced
them to turn around. Too bad no one thought to take photos of those
jerks, the RCMP (cops) don't take kindly to that kind of BS happening.
This is all crown or public land and is open to all. Drunks, ATV's and
guns just don't mix....

I wasn't on that run, I have some badly messed up neck vertebra so took
it real easy, so those that were can chime in here with a trip report if
wanted.

The fishing was good, we kept enough for a feed and yes Billy Ray, I do
like sardines, I just prefer canned ones to the 'fresh' one in your
photo. ;-) Although I was contemplating using him for bait for that
monster laker I know is hiding in there somewhere because I got his
photo on another trip....

It wasn't really good swimming weather, sunny mostly with was a cool
wind blowing, and blowing and blowing... My bug/rain tent decided to go
airborne one day. We had everyone trying to hold it down while I tied
and staked some more. That thing really wanted to go!

Got rained on good, but it only lasted a day.

We had a nice sized wolf show up at the camp the day Steve is grilling
some venison chops and I am roasting chicken. He came directly up wind
at us with is nose just twitching. Man what a time not to have a
camera. Steve got a shot of his eyes, but the auto focus bit the big
one and focused on a close tree, not the wolf. Did anyone else get any
photos of him?

I am getting together a photo album so if any of you have interesting
shots, please email them to me or send me a link. I got Billy Ray's and
am wading through Steve's monster photos so I will post a link soon to
them. Sorry for the delay, but physiotherapy introduced me to some
muscles I didn't know I had last week and am now still barely able to
sit...

Mike