No First Gear - 97 ford Explorer Sport 4.0L

Old January 31st 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MoonDogii

Default No First Gear - 97 ford Explorer Sport 4.0L

I'm back with yet another problem.
Maybe a coincidence, but after my son had the explorer stuck in a snow
drift, I now have no first gear in the automatic tranny.
I need to start out in 2nd, and then shift into drive - watching the tach
and the feel of the shifts, it seems to be working fine. Passing gear is OK,
as well.
I confirmed it is first gear only by shifting to first, and it also does not
work.
I just need to know where to start looking - possible wire, connection,
etc???

I really appreciate the help I have received in the past from this group.

MoonDogii

Old February 4th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

What does the fluid look/smell like? Our shop seldom sees much in the way of
concerns with the 5R55... but I do know that the forward clutch doesn't like
much in the way of abuse...FWIW, IIRC, the (2) position has the trans start
out in third gear.... I don't have my apply charts at home right now but my
gut feeling is that there is a transmission shop in your future...

Sorry I can't be more upbeat...

Old February 6th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MoonDogii

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> What does the fluid look/smell like? Our shop seldom sees much in the way
> of concerns with the 5R55... but I do know that the forward clutch doesn't
> like much in the way of abuse...FWIW, IIRC, the (2) position has the trans
> start out in third gear.... I don't have my apply charts at home right now
> but my gut feeling is that there is a transmission shop in your future...
>
> Sorry I can't be more upbeat...

Jim

The fluid looked reddish in color, and I didn't smell anything that smelled
burned or overheated - it had the usual odor as far as I could tell.

MoonDogii