Car-Based Explorer?

Old January 26th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Default Car-Based Explorer?

There was a report in this morning's paper saying that Ford will
change the Explorer to a car-based vehicle at the next major update in
three years. It said that the new Explorer would be based on the same
platform as the 500 and Freestyle. This sounds like the plan is to do
a major upgrade to the Freestyle and call it an Explorer. It seems
reasonable given the plunging sales figures for the Explorer and
Freestyle. Could be the plan is to sell Expeditions to those wanting
a truck base.

Anyone have more information about this?
Old January 26th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
D.D. Palmer

Sounds redundant with the new "EDGE".

Old January 27th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey

Big Shoe wrote:
> There was a report in this morning's paper saying that Ford will
> change the Explorer to a car-based vehicle at the next major update in
> three years. It said that the new Explorer would be based on the same
> platform as the 500 and Freestyle. This sounds like the plan is to do
> a major upgrade to the Freestyle and call it an Explorer. It seems
> reasonable given the plunging sales figures for the Explorer and
> Freestyle. Could be the plan is to sell Expeditions to those wanting
> a truck base.
>
> Anyone have more information about this?

Gaak! I pull a 3500-pound camper trailer, and I love my '02 Explorer
(first year of the previous major upgrade) for that use. My plan has
always been to buy another Explorer after the next big model change. I
can't wait to see what the 3-valve engine and the 6-speed transmission
do for me! But it sounds like I better buy the last model of the current
iteration. I sure as hell don't want a car-based SUV.

When is this scheduled to happen? The 2009 model? 2010 model? Do you
have a link to the story, or to any information on the rumor? Naturally
the Ford website doesn't say a thing that's meaningful.

Bill
Old January 28th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Don't have any additional information, I was hoping that someone in
the group would know more about it. With Ford in such desperate
shape, it's hard to tell what might happen.

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:01:45 -0700, Bill Jeffrey

Old January 29th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Here's a link to the article about the coming car-based Explorer

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...azPuZq h8IUe0
Old January 29th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

Big Shoe wrote:
> Here's a link to the article about the coming car-based Explorer
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...azPuZq h8IUe0

That sounds just like the Freestyle...

Ed

Old January 29th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey

Big Shoe wrote:
> Here's a link to the article about the coming car-based Explorer
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...azPuZq h8IUe0

Thanks, Big Shoe.

Bill
Old January 29th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
D.D. Palmer

That will be the end of Explorer as we know it. I just don't get it. They
already have Escape and now the new Edge. Converting the Freestyle into an
Explorer (which is really what they will be doing) is redundant and total
sales will bear that out. I'll miss our 2003 Mercury Mountaineer, but not
the 13MPG fillups. It's tolerable at $2 or even $2.25/gallon, but the
UNCERTAINTY of $3+ gas would stop me from buying another. We'll keep this
one a few more years then probably get a RAV4 or CRV.