98 Radio light

Old December 31st 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Esteban

Default 98 Radio light

98 Explorer: My radio has lost the light in the dial and clock. Radio, CD,
tape and buttons work just fine, however, I can't see the frequency or the
clock. Probably a internal light, anyone had any luck fixing a problem like
this, or does one head to the nearest dealership with this problem?
Thanks,
Steve

Old January 1st 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Kalos

check out this site repair or replacement of board. I had the same
problem and this site took care of the problem easily

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/

. net...

Old January 1st 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Beryl

Kalos wrote:
> check out this site repair or replacement of board. I had the same
> problem and this site took care of the problem easily
>
> http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/
>

> "Esteban" > wrote in message
> . net...
>
>>98 Explorer: My radio has lost the light in the dial and clock. Radio,
>>CD, tape and buttons work just fine, however, I can't see the frequency or
>>the clock. Probably a internal light, anyone had any luck fixing a
>>problem like this, or does one head to the nearest dealership with this
>>problem?
>>Thanks,
>>Steve

If you don't want to pay $20 for the info, which used to be freely shared
and posted on other web sites until that shareamemory.com guy began
impersonating a lawyer and emailing threats to intimidate those sharing the
info, you can read this forum
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...?t=39115&pp=20 and
probably figure it out.
Old January 3rd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Esteban

"Esteban" > wrote in message
. net...
> 98 Explorer: My radio has lost the light in the dial and clock. Radio,
> CD, tape and buttons work just fine, however, I can't see the frequency or
> the clock. Probably a internal light, anyone had any luck fixing a
> problem like this, or does one head to the nearest dealership with this
> problem?
> Thanks,
> Steve

Folks, I appreciate all the responses I recieved from all of you. I removed
the radio, took it to a friend that can repair anything, he cleaned up the
solder joints, repaired two and the display works great.
This is a great group.
Thanks again,
Steve

Old January 5th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

I found that pulling those large 1+ Watt through-hole resistors away from
the board helped a lot when I redid mine. I think they heat up and cause
issues with the components on the other side so having a little airspace
underneath helps. I fixed mine 3+ years ago and the problem hasn't come
back.

--
Allan Williams

Old January 11th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
John B.

My '98 has a similar problem. When I start the vehicle, they're off. And
they may or may not suddenly come on as I'm driving. If they come on - they
stay on until I shut it down. Odd, but no big deal as I mostly listen to
one radio station and wear a watch - heh.

John B.

. net...

Old February 5th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
roach

Beryl wrote:
> Kalos wrote:
>> check out this site repair or replacement of board. I had the
>> same problem and this site took care of the problem easily
>>
>> http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/
>>

>> "Esteban" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>
>>> 98 Explorer: My radio has lost the light in the dial and clock.
>>> Radio, CD, tape and buttons work just fine, however, I can't see
>>> the frequency or the clock. Probably a internal light, anyone had
>>> any luck fixing a problem like this, or does one head to the
>>> nearest dealership with this problem?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve

> If you don't want to pay $20 for the info, which used to be freely
> shared and posted on other web sites until that shareamemory.com guy
> began impersonating a lawyer and emailing threats to intimidate those
> sharing the info, you can read this forum
> http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...?t=39115&pp=20 and
> probably figure it out.

I wanna thank you for that info too. I bought my '98 XLT on Saturday
with a bad display, and was ready to send the guy the 20 bucks.

I'm sure I can fix the display, but I also have a problem with the CD
player. It won't take a CD when I try to insert it. Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Bill Roach, New and so far happy Explorer owner.

Old February 5th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
SiO2

roach wrote:
> Beryl wrote:
>
>>Kalos wrote:
>>
>>>check out this site repair or replacement of board. I had the
>>>same problem and this site took care of the problem easily
>>>
>>>http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/
>>>

>>>"Esteban" > wrote in message
gy.net...

>>If you don't want to pay $20 for the info, which used to be freely
>>shared and posted on other web sites until that shareamemory.com guy
>>began impersonating a lawyer and emailing threats to intimidate those
>>sharing the info, you can read this forum
>>http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...?t=39115&pp=20 and
>>probably figure it out.

> I wanna thank you for that info too. I bought my '98 XLT on Saturday
> with a bad display, and was ready to send the guy the 20 bucks.
>
> I'm sure I can fix the display, but I also have a problem with the CD
> player. It won't take a CD when I try to insert it. Any ideas on that?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill Roach, New and so far happy Explorer owner.

I guess there'd be a sensor that sees the CD going into the slot, and a
motorized grabber thingy that pulls it in

This place was recommended, or at least mentioned, here once:
http://www.speedometerservice.com/services.php
I'd use them for repairs before I'd send my radio to a certain someone else
previously referred to, who has shown himself to be dishonest.

Myself, I'd probably replace the troublesome Ford radio with something
around $100-$150 from Circuit City. My Dad has a '98 XLT, and he *never*
uses the radio so it can't have heat damage, can it? But I've seen the
radio display flickering anyway... when it isn't even turned on.
Old February 5th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
roach

SiO2 wrote:

> Myself, I'd probably replace the troublesome Ford radio with something
> around $100-$150 from Circuit City. My Dad has a '98 XLT, and he
> *never* uses the radio so it can't have heat damage, can it? But I've
> seen the radio display flickering anyway... when it isn't even turned
> on.

That's might be the way to go. Hell, CDs are a PITA anyway. I really
need an MP# player in there.

Thanks
Roach