Video from Campbell, CA, USA

Old January 8th 07, 11:20 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
Bill Z.

Default Video from Campbell, CA, USA

"Andrew Tompkins" > writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
> > "Andrew Tompkins" > writes:
> >

> >> The part of Jason's post that you removed after 'Oh God. I do NOT
> >> believe you just asked this question.', namely:

> > You have a causality problem. :-) You are complaining about me not
> > reading "provided material" that was only provided *after* I asked
> > the question!
> >

> I didn't complain about the initial question. I only complained about
> the fact that you questioned a response when the answer was provided
> for you in the response through a link. One that you chose not to
> read. If you had read it, you probably would have given the 'He
> hasn't used that in group ___ yet' response to Jason that you gave to
> me initially instead.

No, you guys have a causality problem or maybe a tense problem. Some
guy said something like "I don't believe you asked that", and I
explained why I had asked that. Whatever else he added by way of an
explanation was not relevant because I had *asked* the question in
a previous post.

> > Yes, but he used 'analog' to modify 'hyperlink' which is a term
> > whose origins are in Computer Science and related fields.
> >

> So what? Although I am an advocate of maintaining context within a
> discussion, that, by necessity, is not required between words and
> modifiers.

So what??? You can't be serious. The word "hyperlink" is a technical
term specific to certain fields, and that sets the context for any
term modifying it.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old January 10th 07, 08:37 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
Andrew Tompkins

Bill Z. wrote:
> "Andrew Tompkins" > writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:

>>> You have a causality problem. :-) You are complaining about me not
>>> reading "provided material" that was only provided *after* I asked
>>> the question!

How can he provide an explanation and answer to a question that hasn't
been asked yet?

>> I didn't complain about the initial question. I only complained
>> about the fact that you questioned a response when the answer was
>> provided for you in the response through a link. One that you
>> chose not to read. If you had read it, you probably would have
>> given the 'He hasn't used that in group ___ yet' response to Jason
>> that you gave to me initially instead.

> No, you guys have a causality problem or maybe a tense problem. Some
> guy said something like "I don't believe you asked that", and I
> explained why I had asked that. Whatever else he added by way of
> an explanation was not relevant because I had *asked* the question
> in
> a previous post.

Whatever else he added by way of an explanation also happened to
contain the answer to your original question which makes it very
relevant. My problem is that you didn't bother to read it before
firing back a knee-jerk response. Jason's problem was that you were
asking a question that had been asked and thuroughly hashed out a week
or two before, not realizing that the NG set had changed. Two
different problems. No causality.

>>> Yes, but he used 'analog' to modify 'hyperlink' which is a term
>>> whose origins are in Computer Science and related fields.
>>>

>> So what? Although I am an advocate of maintaining context within a
>> discussion, that, by necessity, is not required between words and
>> modifiers.

> So what??? You can't be serious. The word "hyperlink" is a
> technical term specific to certain fields, and that sets the
> context for any term modifying it.

This doesn't mean that other contextual meanings cannot be used by the
modifier. The adjective 'analog' has at least 2 definitions. One has
to do with electronics (analog vs. digital). The other has to do with
similarity. Since a hyperlink can lead to information similar to that
lead to by a second hyperlink or can be a similar hyperlink to the
same information, this definition and use is applicable and relevant.
If you have trouble figuring out which definition is being used, ask
about it (which you did). If an explanation or answer is giving, READ
IT. Don't automatically discount it as irrelevant due to situations
outside the explanation or answer.

--
--Andy
Andrew G. Tompkins

Old January 10th 07, 08:42 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
David Nebenzahl

Andrew Tompkins spake thus:

> This doesn't mean that other contextual meanings cannot be used by the
> modifier. The adjective 'analog' has at least 2 definitions. One has
> to do with electronics (analog vs. digital). The other has to do with
> similarity. Since a hyperlink can lead to information similar to that
> lead to by a second hyperlink [...]

That's "led", the past participle of lead. Not "lead", as in the heavy
metal. Why does everybody get this wrong?

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old January 11th 07, 07:17 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> David Nebenzahl > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>Andrew Tompkins spake thus:
>>
>>> This doesn't mean that other contextual meanings cannot be used by the
>>> modifier. The adjective 'analog' has at least 2 definitions. One has
>>> to do with electronics (analog vs. digital). The other has to do with
>>> similarity. Since a hyperlink can lead to information similar to that
>>> lead to by a second hyperlink [...]

>>That's "led", the past participle of lead. Not "lead", as in the heavy
>>metal. Why does everybody get this wrong?

> Because Led Zeppelin played Heavy Metal music?

That will go over like a lead balloon.

Old January 11th 07, 10:46 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
Andrew Tompkins

David Nebenzahl wrote:
> Andrew Tompkins spake thus:
>
>> This doesn't mean that other contextual meanings cannot be used by
>> the modifier. The adjective 'analog' has at least 2 definitions.
>> One has to do with electronics (analog vs. digital). The other
>> has to do with similarity. Since a hyperlink can lead to
>> information similar to that lead to by a second hyperlink [...]

> That's "led", the past participle of lead. Not "lead", as in the
> heavy metal.

I noticed that myself when I read it the next day.

> Why does everybody get this wrong?

Don't know. Another one of those darn things that the spell checker
won't catch. :-)

Old January 12th 07, 02:31 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
Ronnie Dobbs

David Nebenzahl wrote:
> Andrew Tompkins spake thus:
>
>> This doesn't mean that other contextual meanings cannot be used by
>> the modifier. The adjective 'analog' has at least 2 definitions. One has
>> to do with electronics (analog vs. digital). The other has
>> to do with similarity. Since a hyperlink can lead to information
>> similar to that lead to by a second hyperlink [...]

> That's "led", the past participle of lead. Not "lead", as in the heavy
> metal. Why does everybody get this wrong?

Why does it seem like everybody on the internets says "loose" when they mean
"lose"? I didn't notice this in the pre-internets days.

Old January 12th 07, 03:19 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
MLOM

Ronnie Dobbs wrote:
> David Nebenzahl wrote:
> > Andrew Tompkins spake thus:
> >
> >> This doesn't mean that other contextual meanings cannot be used by
> >> the modifier. The adjective 'analog' has at least 2 definitions. One has
> >> to do with electronics (analog vs. digital). The other has
> >> to do with similarity. Since a hyperlink can lead to information
> >> similar to that lead to by a second hyperlink [...]

> > That's "led", the past participle of lead. Not "lead", as in the heavy
> > metal. Why does everybody get this wrong?

> Why does it seem like everybody on the internets says "loose" when they mean
> "lose"? I didn't notice this in the pre-internets days.

Suppose it's to make the loser looser?
Couldn't resist.

On Board Video? [email protected] Jeep 4 November 13th 06 08:59 PM
New US-101 video [email protected] Driving 1 October 22nd 06 04:45 AM
I-8 Video HoustonFreeways Driving 8 October 10th 06 01:24 AM
Computer Help (Video related) Needed Darus Simulators 11 November 5th 05 02:20 PM
Video producer seeking expert for how-to video production David Welch General 0 February 5th 04 11:37 PM