98 Plymouth Neon - leaking tail lights

Old January 16th 05, 12:40 AM

Default 98 Plymouth Neon - leaking tail lights

I recently bought a used 1998 Plymouth Neon from a private party. The
other day, I happened to glance at the back seat and noticed that the
back floor wells were flooded. After doing some investigating, I came
to the conclusion that the tail lights were leaking (It had been
raining.) and that the water was flowing down into the spare tire well,
then underneath the back seat, and into the floor wells. I did some
searching on the Internet, and it seems that this problem isn't exactly
uncommon for these cars.

Here are my questions/concerns: Is this something I can fix myself, or
should I leave it to the dealer? I have to admit I'm not very good at
stuff like this, but I don't want to shell out the bucks if I don't
have to. Is it likely that just the seals/gaskets will need to be
replaced, or the whole tail light assembly? Does anyone have any idea
how much this might end up costing? Unfortunately, both sides seem to
be leaking.

Old January 16th 05, 12:17 PM
maxpower

Before you install the lamp assembly run a Bead of gasket sealer, (silicone)
to the back of the foam gasket of the lamp. Run it around the studs and
then install the lamp,
There is only one TSB that I know of from the trunk area
NO: 23-55-98
SUBJECT: Water Leak In Left Side Of Trunk
DATE: Nov. 13, 1998

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO BELVIDERE VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN JUNE 26,
1998 (MDH 0626XX) AND AUGUST 21, 1998 (MDH 0821XX). BELVIDERE VEHICLES CAN
BE IDENTIFIED BY A "D" IN THE ELEVENTH POSITION OF THE VEHICLE
IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A water leak in the left side of the trunk below the body exhauster and/or
water pooled in the spare tire well. This is caused by a gap between the
wheel house outer panel and the left body side aperture panel where the
fascia is bolted through the weld flanges.

DIAGNOSIS:
Open the trunk and pull back the carpet covering the left wheelhouse inner
panel. Look for water below the left side body exhauster or signs of
moisture in the carpet. Water may also be pooled in the spare tire well. If
water is found in either of the two areas described, perform the Repair
Procedure.

1.. Thoroughly clean the underside of the wheel housing on the left rear
of the vehicle using isopropyl alcohol. Let the area dry completely before
proceeding.
2.. Apply the Mopar RTV Sealant (p/n 82300234) to the area where the body
side panel mates to the wheelhouse outer panel and the fascia fits to the
body (Figure 1). Liberally apply the sealant to the "knife edge" of the
flanges and use a putty knife to fill in any voids between the two flanges.
Wrap the sealant around and over the flanges to ensure good adhesion.
3.. Allow proper sealant curing time before releasing the vehicle.
oups.com...