"BR" stamping on Heads

Old June 7th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default "BR" stamping on Heads

Some of you may remember the stories of my 68' Bug that started
stumbling, stuttering, and losing power. After dropping the engine and
yanking it apart, I see that the heads are shot and I need a valve job.
Now it's summer, and I have a small budget to work within!

I'm looking at the cost of new heads versus having mine machined. I
know that they need new seats, which from what I can tell means "a
complete job". I'm also pretty sure that they will need grinded down
so that they have a tight fit. I can tell now that things were running
way too lean and it did a real number on them.

So the question is, what does the "BR" stamp on the heads mean? Is
that BRazil? I'm trying to determine if the heads I have now are good
quality. They look like some heads that I have seen in photographs of
"genuine VW parts". But I have seen some that have a BR2 on them. I
figure, if I have some cheap sh*t heads now, I should probably start
over with a new assembled pair.

-Ray Haque

Old June 9th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Ray Dios Haque" wrote in message
> Ray Dios Haque wrote:
> Correction: ....I see that my heads are stamped with "2BR". And it's

hard to make out, but it appears that they have a small VW symbol and >
german part number.

"2BR" means they were made by VW in Brazil. The part number should begin
"040", which is roughly the equivalent of the German '113' heads.