My 2001.5 Passat eats headlight bulbs!

Old December 23rd 04, 02:32 AM
Ladlenits

Default My 2001.5 Passat eats headlight bulbs!

I have just gone through my 3rd set of lights. Usualy one goes out
then a few weeks later the next one does, Which really ****ed me off.
This last time i was lucky and had them both go out at the same time
(although it did happen at night). This is just another problem to add
to the list with my 2001.5 Passat. First and last Volkswagen I will
ever buy.

Old December 23rd 04, 02:49 AM
Matt B.

"Ladlenits" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I have just gone through my 3rd set of lights. Usualy one goes out
> then a few weeks later the next one does, Which really ****ed me off.
> This last time i was lucky and had them both go out at the same time
> (although it did happen at night). This is just another problem to add
> to the list with my 2001.5 Passat. First and last Volkswagen I will
> ever buy.

Headlamp bulbs aren't made by VW. Can happen to any car.

Most likely disabling the DRLs will help (not legal to do in Canada though).

Old December 23rd 04, 02:49 AM
Matt B.

oups.com...

Old December 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
Rob Guenther

I would tend to disagree with the DTRL eating bulbs, light bulbs die more
from hot spots on the glass and vibration - and its easier on bulbs to run
constantly, turning them on/off a lot reduces their life (high inrush
current when filament is cold).

4 years front lights on my Golf *OEM bulbs, now using Silverstars
12 years and counting on our old Golf *OEM bulbs - car has been sold as of
2003
6 years and 6 years on our Volvo *using OEM bulbs each time

Old December 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
Rob Guenther

Old December 23rd 04, 04:54 AM
Tony Bad

"Matt B." > wrote in message
> "Ladlenits" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > I have just gone through my 3rd set of lights. Usualy one goes out
> > then a few weeks later the next one does, Which really ****ed me off.
> > This last time i was lucky and had them both go out at the same time
> > (although it did happen at night). This is just another problem to add
> > to the list with my 2001.5 Passat. First and last Volkswagen I will
> > ever buy.

> Headlamp bulbs aren't made by VW. Can happen to any car.

I had a similar issue with my 95 Golf. It wasn't the bulbs, it was the car.

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old December 23rd 04, 04:54 AM
Tony Bad

Old December 23rd 04, 08:02 PM
Biz

SHouldnt be legal to do anywhere. There are way too many idiots out there
that would drive without any lights at very inappropriate times if it werent
for the DRL and automatic lights.

Old December 23rd 04, 08:02 PM
Biz

Old December 23rd 04, 10:27 PM
Woodchuck

You *must* check to see if the connector on the back of the bulbs are
melted. VW has a bulletin on this repair but if it's out of warranty then
you must pay for the fix.

oups.com...