Considering an alfa as my next car. Need advice.

Old May 21st 04, 10:13 PM
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> > Hmm, got me thinking now.

> Think away. You *could* get a Giulietta, or a Sprint, but that way madness
> lies, DAMHIKIJDOK

Now.... I wonder if that place in High Wycombe still has that monster of
a Giulietta? ;-)
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old May 22nd 04, 01:32 AM
Pete M

In k,
SteveH > decided to enlighten our sheltered souls
with a rant as follows

>> What are the chances of finding a 75 or a 155 with Leather (working
>> aircon if possible) mint condition (or good useable in the case of
>> the 75) with a 2 litre for under £2k?

> 75 with leather. Never made one. If you find one it'll be an
> aftermarket retrim.

********. the Anniversary, for one, had leather. In fact the manager of the
Stag pub in Warrington was selling one not so long ago for about £1500..

> 155s only came with leather on the V6. Trust me, you can't run a V6
> on a budget. 15mpg. Suits you, sir ;-)

Nah, you can get more than that from a V6, unless you thrash it

> For £2k you'll get a nice 16v 155, or a V6. But, even the 16v isn't a
> 'budget' car. For running on the cheap you'd have to have an 8v
> engine.

Or gimme a shout, and I'll get your cambelts done for about £150 all in.

--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL,

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Old May 22nd 04, 07:15 AM
SteveH

Pete M > wrote:

> > 75 with leather. Never made one. If you find one it'll be an
> > aftermarket retrim.

> ********. the Anniversary, for one, had leather. In fact the manager of the
> Stag pub in Warrington was selling one not so long ago for about £1500..

I'm sure you're mistaken about this one. Even the LE only came with
Recaro cloth.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old May 22nd 04, 07:15 AM
SteveH

Pete M > wrote:

> > For £2k you'll get a nice 16v 155, or a V6. But, even the 16v isn't a
> > 'budget' car. For running on the cheap you'd have to have an 8v
> > engine.
> >

> Or gimme a shout, and I'll get your cambelts done for about £150 all in.

That an all-in price including variator, etc? - 'cos I wouldn't trust
_anyone_ who did it for that price.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old May 22nd 04, 10:43 AM
MeatballTurbo

In article >,
spouted forth into
alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
> In t,
> MeatballTurbo > decided to enlighten our
> sheltered souls with a rant as follows
> > In article > ,

spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
> >> To be honest, if you're looking for something to run on a budget,
> >> stick with the C900s.
> >>

> > As I've said, I'm looking to go upmarket a bit.
> >
> > Something newer will ultimatley be more reliable with care and
> > attention (even if it is potentialy fragile) than something with
> > 20years wear and tear on it.
> >
> > And although the newer Alfas don't rust too badly unless accident
> > damaged, contrary to belief, older saabs do, not normally structural
> > but by the age of mine, it can be (had to do a plate on an inner
> > wheel arch, and someone did some previously to the radiator/front
> > engine mount cross member).
> >
> > it will also have less wear and tear than anything else.

> If you're serious about wanting an Alfa, go and speak to Gus in AlfaTune in
> St Helens. He's a good guy, bit weird, but he knows his stuff. Dont' bother
> trying to get sense out of him on the phone though, he's hopeless, and
> Greek.

Thanks, a local contact.
I'm serious about considering one.
It's on my shortlist. As you know from the other groups we both use,
there are very few "New" cars that I like, so all the ones I cancy have
some shortcomings.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)
Old May 22nd 04, 03:07 PM
MarkK

"SteveH" > wrote in message
k...
> Pete M > wrote:
>
> > > 75 with leather. Never made one. If you find one it'll be an
> > > aftermarket retrim.

> > ********. the Anniversary, for one, had leather. In fact the manager of

the
> > Stag pub in Warrington was selling one not so long ago for about £1500..

> I'm sure you're mistaken about this one. Even the LE only came with
> Recaro cloth.

Wrong yet again Mr H! According to the 75 brochure I have just checked,
leather most certainly WAS an option, both on the TS and the V6.

Mark :-)

Old May 22nd 04, 07:52 PM
SteveH

MarkK > wrote:

> > I'm sure you're mistaken about this one. Even the LE only came with
> > Recaro cloth.

> Wrong yet again Mr H! According to the 75 brochure I have just checked,
> leather most certainly WAS an option, both on the TS and the V6.
>
> Mark :-)

I'd like to see one, as I trawled through tens of ads for 75s before
buying mine, and didn't see a single leather one.

However, if it was available, it was as a dealer-fit retrim, not
factory, so would have been stupidly expensive.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL