1997 Accord O2 Sensor

Old November 21st 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
. . . /\\/\\ i k e

Default 1997 Accord O2 Sensor

My CEL came on, and the code says I need to replace my SH02 sensor . (By
the catalytic converter).

There seem to be a few available on line - some (Bosch's) at about $130, and
other brands near half that price. Without stating the obvious, what's the
difference?

Thanks...

....Mike

BTW, the car has about 93K miles - I bought it about 1K miles ago. 4 cyl.,
not v-tec, standard transmission

Old November 21st 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

One has to consider miles and years. The original (assuming
it is the original) lasted 11 years. It paid for itself.

Do not buy Bosch. Their O2 sensors have a reputation for
throwing Honda engine controls out of whack sooner rather
than later. Only buy OEM or from the OEM manufacturer of
Honda's O2 sensors, like Denso.

You can get a Denso direct fit (that is, OEM connector) at
www.densoproducts.com for about $50. Amazon has similar
prices.

". . . /\/\ i k e" > wrote

Old November 22nd 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

If it's a 1997 then likely you'll have a Bosch *planar type* oxygen
sensor available. These by design are more resistant to contamination.
You can get them either with OEM plug, or you can get a "universal"
wire if you don't mind the extra work of splicing the old connector
onto the new sensor.

I would not get the Denso sensor. IMO those thimble types are junk.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...s/PlanarO2.htm

Old November 22nd 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

I don't know which engine, but for the F22B2 4-cyl or F27A4 6-cyl
www.rockauto.com lists the upstream planar (with OEM connector) for
about $71+shipping and downstream planar for $62+shipping. I'm sure
local parts stores aren't that much higher?

Where online did you get $130??

Old November 22nd 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

"Eternal Searcher" > wrote
> wrote:
>
>> If it's a 1997 then likely you'll have a Bosch *planar
>> type* oxygen
>> sensor available. These by design are more resistant to
>> contamination.
>> You can get them either with OEM plug, or you can get a
>> "universal"
>> wire if you don't mind the extra work of splicing the old
>> connector
>> onto the new sensor.
>>
>> I would not get the Denso sensor. IMO those thimble types
>> are junk.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...s/PlanarO2.htm

> Complete hogwash!!! Your opinion of Denso being junk is
> not shared by most.

I have been using Denso and only Denso in my 91 Civic for
years. It is on its second one. The first did not fail; I
replaced it pre-emptively at about 150k miles.

Bosch is not thought highly of at all in the archives here
or at www.honda-tech.com.

Old November 23rd 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Actually in a newer Civic the NTK L1H1 wideband pump cell sensors is
used. For those who don't know, it's part of NGK. I do like NGK
products. Denso doesn't have this kind of technology. The better
designed Bosch LSU4 series is a highly regarded alternative for other
wideband applications. Just google.

Now I recognize people's preferences differ. But if the cheap denso
works, why not. But I say go with a Bosch PLANAR type sensor for
i.k.e.'s application.