no start 89 honda civic 1.5

Old December 2nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default no start 89 honda civic 1.5

The car has 230,000 miles on the body and 130,000 on replaced SOHC1.5
Dual Point Injected . While driving the car began to miss, it was
parked for a day then it wouldnt start. 5 months later i replaced the
fuel filter and put in some new plugs and it started and ran well for
about 30minutes then it bogged down and died again, any ideas?
maybe just old gas, on high mileage car with an old fuel tank...
Old December 3rd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loose duece

On Dec 2, 9:08 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:eb0d1d4e-4b40-4120-ac74-aa70fae00d93
> @o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > The car has 230,000 miles on the body and 130,000 on replaced SOHC1.5
> > Dual Point Injected . While driving the car began to miss, it was
> > parked for a day then it wouldntstart. 5 months later i replaced the
> > fuel filter and put in some new plugs and it started and ran well for
> > about 30minutes then it bogged down and died again, any ideas?
> > maybe just old gas, on high mileage car with an old fuel tank...

> Got spark?
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The UnofficialHonda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

yeah i have spark on all the plugs
Old December 3rd 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loose duece

On Dec 2, 9:08 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:eb0d1d4e-4b40-4120-ac74-aa70fae00d93
> @o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > The car has 230,000 miles on the body and 130,000 on replaced SOHC1.5
> > Dual Point Injected . While driving the car began to miss, it was
> > parked for a day then it wouldntstart. 5 months later i replaced the
> > fuel filter and put in some new plugs and it started and ran well for
> > about 30minutes then it bogged down and died again, any ideas?
> > maybe just old gas, on high mileage car with an old fuel tank...

> Got spark?
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The UnofficialHonda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

also, when trying to pull out the primary ingector for a visual check
i broke off the plastic connector, i have that replaced with a
remanufactured one..., when i pulled off the old fuel filter i dumped
it out and dark brown gas came out, im still thinking there is some
crap in the tank from being run on empty to many times, so i put the
backend of the car on jacks and lowered the fuel tank and drained the
old gas which came out very yellow, and took off the fuel line that
goes to the filter from the tank and disconnected the connection at
the filter and used compressed air to blow that line out of any
buildup, there were some small particles that came out that like
dust .

now after reading almost everything on your website im starting to
worry that it might not be anything related with the fuel system at
all. when i turn the ignition on i can hear the fuel pump turn on ,
so idont know, the ingector cost me 80bucks for that mistake, its
probably something simple right,

i was thinking that maybe the filter on the fuel pump might be clogged
up, after 230,000miles

thanks for your response!
Old December 3rd 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

loose duece wrote:
> On Dec 2, 9:08 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>> wrote in news:eb0d1d4e-4b40-4120-ac74-aa70fae00d93
>> @o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> The car has 230,000 miles on the body and 130,000 on replaced SOHC1.5
>>> Dual Point Injected . While driving the car began to miss, it was
>>> parked for a day then it wouldntstart. 5 months later i replaced the
>>> fuel filter and put in some new plugs and it started and ran well for
>>> about 30minutes then it bogged down and died again, any ideas?
>>> maybe just old gas, on high mileage car with an old fuel tank...

>> Got spark?
>>
>> --
>> Tegger
>>
>> The UnofficialHonda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

> also, when trying to pull out the primary ingector for a visual check
> i broke off the plastic connector, i have that replaced with a
> remanufactured one..., when i pulled off the old fuel filter i dumped
> it out and dark brown gas came out, im still thinking there is some
> crap in the tank from being run on empty to many times, so i put the
> backend of the car on jacks and lowered the fuel tank and drained the
> old gas which came out very yellow, and took off the fuel line that
> goes to the filter from the tank and disconnected the connection at
> the filter and used compressed air to blow that line out of any
> buildup, there were some small particles that came out that like
> dust .
>
> now after reading almost everything on your website im starting to
> worry that it might not be anything related with the fuel system at
> all. when i turn the ignition on i can hear the fuel pump turn on ,
> so idont know, the ingector cost me 80bucks for that mistake, its
> probably something simple right,
>
> i was thinking that maybe the filter on the fuel pump might be clogged
> up, after 230,000miles
>
> thanks for your response!

open the air bleed plug at the top of the filter and turn the ignition
on - if the pump's pumping, you'll get plenty of gas out. next time,
unless one is /known/ to have failed, never touch the injectors on the
dpfi - they're ultra reliable. and removal requires a special puller to
get them out without damage.

next step is look for stored codes on the ecu - report back accordingly.

also how old are the plugs? are they bosch? if so, replace with oem
ngk plugs - my experience with bosch is exactly as you describe - work
fine one day, will even spark out of the car, but the car will /never/
start. toss them out and replace. do the same for the plug leads too
while you're at it. only use honda oem or the expensive high quality
coiled core leads from ngk or magnecor. make sure the leads are on in
the right order - it's not unknown for the neighbor kids to mess things
about.
Old December 3rd 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loose duece

On Dec 2, 11:22 pm, jim beam > wrote:
> loose duece wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 9:08 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> >> wrote in news:eb0d1d4e-4b40-4120-ac74-aa70fae00d93
> >> @o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> >> Got spark?

> >> --
> >> Tegger

> >> The UnofficialHonda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

> > also, when trying to pull out the primary ingector for a visual check
> > i broke off the plastic connector, i have that replaced with a
> > remanufactured one..., when i pulled off the old fuel filter i dumped
> > it out and dark brown gas came out, im still thinking there is some
> > crap in the tank from being run on empty to many times, so i put the
> > backend of the car on jacks and lowered the fuel tank and drained the
> > old gas which came out very yellow, and took off the fuel line that
> > goes to the filter from the tank and disconnected the connection at
> > the filter and used compressed air to blow that line out of any
> > buildup, there were some small particles that came out that like
> > dust .

> > now after reading almost everything on your website im starting to
> > worry that it might not be anything related with the fuel system at
> > all. when i turn the ignition on i can hear the fuel pump turn on ,
> > so idont know, the ingector cost me 80bucks for that mistake, its
> > probably something simple right,

> > i was thinking that maybe the filter on the fuel pump might be clogged
> > up, after 230,000miles

> > thanks for your response!

> open the air bleed plug at the top of the filter and turn the ignition
> on - if the pump's pumping, you'll get plenty of gas out. next time,
> unless one is /known/ to have failed, never touch the injectors on the
> dpfi - they're ultra reliable. and removal requires a special puller to
> get them out without damage.
>
> next step is look for stored codes on the ecu - report back accordingly.
>
> also how old are the plugs? are they bosch? if so, replace with oem
> ngk plugs - my experience with bosch is exactly as you describe - work
> fine one day, will even spark out of the car, but the car will /never/
> start. toss them out and replace. do the same for the plug leads too
> while you're at it. only use honda oem or the expensive high quality
> coiled core leads from ngk or magnecor. make sure the leads are on in
> the right order - it's not unknown for the neighbor kids to mess things
> about.- Hide quoted text -

right now the battery is on charge, but the plugs are brand new ngk

i will get the battery back in and check for codes soon
Old December 3rd 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

loose duece > wrote in news:49a751f0-c440-4169-a714-
:

> On Dec 2, 9:08 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>> wrote in news:eb0d1d4e-4b40-4120-ac74-aa70fae00d93
>> @o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > The car has 230,000 miles on the body and 130,000 on replaced SOHC1.5
>> > Dual Point Injected . While driving the car began to miss, it was
>> > parked for a day then it wouldntstart. 5 months later i replaced the
>> > fuel filter and put in some new plugs and it started and ran well for
>> > about 30minutes then it bogged down and died again, any ideas?
>> > maybe just old gas, on high mileage car with an old fuel tank...

>> Got spark?
>>

> also, when trying to pull out the primary ingector for a visual check
> i broke off the plastic connector, i have that replaced with a
> remanufactured one..., when i pulled off the old fuel filter i dumped
> it out and dark brown gas came out, im still thinking there is some
> crap in the tank from being run on empty to many times, so i put the
> backend of the car on jacks and lowered the fuel tank and drained the
> old gas which came out very yellow, and took off the fuel line that
> goes to the filter from the tank and disconnected the connection at
> the filter and used compressed air to blow that line out of any
> buildup, there were some small particles that came out that like
> dust .

With your decription of the gas, I'd say you have a fuel problem,
all right. Brown and yellow gas doesn't burn particularly well.

If the spark is nice and blue, it's fine.

And you should be able to find decent injectors at a local wreckers for a
lot less than $80.

Old December 3rd 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loose duece

On Dec 3, 5:19 am, Tegger > wrote:
> loose duece > wrote in news:49a751f0-c440-4169-a714-
> :
>

> > On Dec 2, 9:08 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> >> wrote in news:eb0d1d4e-4b40-4120-ac74-aa70fae00d93
> >> @o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> >> Got spark?

> > also, when trying to pull out the primary ingector for a visual check
> > i broke off the plastic connector, i have that replaced with a
> > remanufactured one..., when i pulled off the old fuel filter i dumped
> > it out and dark brown gas came out, im still thinking there is some
> > crap in the tank from being run on empty to many times, so i put the
> > backend of the car on jacks and lowered the fuel tank and drained the
> > old gas which came out very yellow, and took off the fuel line that
> > goes to the filter from the tank and disconnected the connection at
> > the filter and used compressed air to blow that line out of any
> > buildup, there were some small particles that came out that like
> > dust .

> With your decription of the gas, I'd say you have a fuel problem,
> all right. Brown and yellow gas doesn't burn particularly well.
>
> If the spark is nice and blue, it's fine.
>
> And you should be able to find decent injectors at a local wreckers for a
> lot less than $80.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The UnofficialHonda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/- Hide quoted text -

most wreckers want to keep the injectors with the engines, and arent
willing to sell them seperatly, in the greater Dallas area i couldnt
get a single yard to let me pull one.

so, i guess its a fuel pump. i think that it might be worth totally
disconnecting the tank,
Old December 3rd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"loose duece" > wrote in message
> On Dec 3, 5:19 am, Tegger > wrote:
>> loose duece > wrote in
>> :

>> > also, when trying to pull out the primary ingector for
>> > a visual check
>> > i broke off the plastic connector, i have that replaced
>> > with a
>> > remanufactured one..., when i pulled off the old fuel
>> > filter i dumped
>> > it out and dark brown gas came out, im still thinking
>> > there is some
>> > crap in the tank from being run on empty to many times,
>> > so i put the
>> > backend of the car on jacks and lowered the fuel tank
>> > and drained the
>> > old gas which came out very yellow, and took off the
>> > fuel line that
>> > goes to the filter from the tank and disconnected the
>> > connection at
>> > the filter and used compressed air to blow that line
>> > out of any
>> > buildup, there were some small particles that came out
>> > that like
>> > dust .

>> With your decription of the gas, I'd say you have a fuel
>> problem,
>> all right. Brown and yellow gas doesn't burn particularly
>> well.
>>
>> If the spark is nice and blue, it's fine.
>>
>> And you should be able to find decent injectors at a
>> local wreckers for a
>> lot less than $80.
>>
>> --
>> Tegger
>>
>> The UnofficialHonda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/-

> most wreckers want to keep the injectors with the engines,
> and arent
> willing to sell them seperatly, in the greater Dallas area
> i couldnt
> get a single yard to let me pull one.
>
> so, i guess its a fuel pump. i think that it might be
> worth totally
> disconnecting the tank,

This will not be "worth it" until after you have
checked/replace a number of other, much easier to check
items. I base this on the many reports of no start here and
their remedy. Rarely has the problem been the fuel pump. You
need to check the items listed at Tegger's site. E.g.

-- check the main relay. See Tegger's site for quick ways to
diagnose this.
-- Are ignition parts (wires, plugs, distributor rotor and
cap) OEM? Yup they cost more. That's because they last way
longer. I say this as a cheapskate who learned the hard way.
Check the wires' resistance. Car sounds like it's due for a
tuneup, anyway.
-- Put a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner into
a near empty tank, filled the tank, and run?

You have an old car with an engine with an unknown history.
You want to start with as clean a slate as possible when
diagnosing, and one that has to be cleaned anyway for
optimal operation.

94 Honda Civic doesn't start after oil change cvk69 Honda 9 July 31st 06 06:16 PM
1991 honda civic won't start Steph Honda 8 April 24th 06 07:23 PM
92 Honda Civic wont start DRALAN Honda 2 April 4th 06 07:02 PM
92 honda civic intermittently not start Tinob Honda 5 August 25th 05 04:04 AM